• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Advance fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Northern Rail are to release a set of Advance fares for their Leeds-Nottingham route. They will be available from Leeds to stations between Meadowhall and Nottingham inclusive and vice versa, from Wakefield to stations between Sheffield and Nottingham inclusive and vice versa, and from stations between Barnsley and Chesterfield to Nottingham and vice versa.

Reservations are 'booked place' and compulsory, and, just to keep things simple, no refunds, discounts or changes of journey plan are allowed for these tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would have appreciated these when I was a student in Leeds a few years back.

Will this be the only route that Northern offer advance fares?

calc7

Established Member
York-Blackpool, Cumbrian Coast and services via Settle/Hellifield ought to start offering them imo.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Reservations are 'booked place' and compulsory, and, just to keep things simple, no refunds, discounts or changes of journey plan are allowed for these tickets.
Ah, yes that is simple "Ticket terms and conditions are now the same across all train companies nationwide, so you know exactly where you stand." :lol:

(In reality: conditions are different across train companies so you don't have a clue where you stand, we just don't want to admit it)

clagmonster

Established Member
Are they called something other than advance then?

Changes of journey I can see as all fares I can pull up are less than £10.00 anyway, so the admin fee would make it cheaper to buy a new ticket.

tony_mac

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up.

'No changes' allowed is contrary to the published conditions for all Advance tickets - are they going to be changed, or have Northern got it wrong? (Or will they all be under £10?)

The terms and conditions could do with a bit more detail ;)

Attachments

• nadvance1.png
    nadvance1.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 30
  • nadvance2.png
    nadvance2.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 21

lemonic

Are there railcard discounts on these Advance fares? From one search I have done, it doesn't appear to be the case. Likewise the Advance fares don't seem to be available at all for children.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Selected information on these fares according to NRE:
Ticket Type:
Northern Advance
Discounts:
Child discounts, Senior, Family & Friends, Two Together, 16-25 , HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcards discounts apply.
Validity:
You must be at the departure station shown on the ticket in good time to catch the train.

If you miss the first train on which you are booked for any reason, a new ticket must be purchased.

Whilst this claims that Railcard and child discounts are available, they do not give a discount in the journey planner.

I really hope that this information is just some sort of placeholder whilst the fares are finalised, rather than an example of creeping complification. The standardisation of Advance fares was one of the few good things to come out of "simplification", adding more non-standard ticket types isn't helping anyone.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
In NFM12, there are three new advance fares between Leeds and Sheffield, priced at £4, £6 and £8, and routed ✠AP NORTHERN ONLY. Looks interesting - has this been mentioned before? Looks to me like Northern are now doing reservations on their Leeds to Nottingham services at least.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
has this been mentioned before?
I see it has - mustn't have been paying attention! But yes there is definitely an erroneous Maltese Cross there in NFM12; I was wondering does that mean London Underground will automatically get some revenue share from sale of these tickets?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.