Northern and Bakerloo to not call at Embankment for 43 weeks

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by bicbasher, 24 Oct 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

As part of escalator renewal work, the deep level platforms at Embankment will close from January 8th for 43 weeks.

The Circle and District sub-surface platforms will continue to be open and it appears OSI's will be extended at Waterloo and Charing Cross during the works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24580778

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Surely they mean the Circle Line?

4. simple simon

simple simon Member

Embankment is a lovely station... well, most of it is. I like the way the patterns on enamel wall covers vary in colour range from line to line, whilst retaining similarity in theme.

However, if ever a station justifies the epitath of 'getting lost' then this is it.

There are so many passageways, and especially the Northern Line has platforms which are very much separate from each other (which is unusual for the deep level tube lines).

Simon

5. tunster

tunster Member

Damn! I normally get off at Embankment and change for the Bakerloo which is a quicker change than Waterloo or Charing Cross (coming from Tooting Bec). And I secretly like the direct walkway between the two lines. :oops:

Being honest though; those escalators do need replacing!

6. Nym

Nym Established Member

One hopes they'll do all the station/building services upgrades and updates while the deep level platforms are closed, unless it will be kept for evacuation only (there are still fixed stairs).

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jan 2014
  7. tunster

tunster Member

They've been doing the same at Edgware Road (Bakerloo) and started taking off all the tiles on the platforms. Bit weird seeing a darkish platform!

8. Nym

Nym Established Member

Yeah, there's a hell of a lot of work going on at Edgeware Road (Bakerloo) in addition to the scheduled lift replacement / maintenance. I know of at least three other projects that have jumped on the back of the posession.

Can think of at least two projects if not three projects that will want some time down there if it's a total closure.

9. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Walking about the length of Charing Cross station about 250 yards on the surface so BBC reporting 'heavily disrupted'.

I'd have thought slightly inconvenienced...

10. simple simon

simple simon Member

yes but isn't it a steep slope which the less mobile will find too much?

What would be useful would be a public schedule of works so that the public can be reassured that this closure really is as short as possible.

For instance, if the Northern Line escalators are being done first then why not keep the Bakerloo Line open until the work crew are ready to start on its escalators.

I am influenced by the closure program when the ELL was converted to become part of the Overground. The ELL was closed just before Christmas, which seemed really *unfair on passengers - since major works did not start until the next year. Indeed, if I recall reading correctly it was February before major works began and even then for a long time nothing was being said to happening in areas that were visible from publically visible locations.

So, how much of the 43 weeks period of these works at Embankment will escalators be idle - when they could be carrying passengers?

Since this work is on our public transport system and not a privately owned office block so the travelling public do have a right to know such things as work schedules.

Simon

* yes unfair, if not downright contemptuous of the travelling public and totally lacking in compassion for the long term secound round of disruption they endured. Before anyone asks, yes, I do expect compassion and respect for the suffering of others to at least be recognised when any private or public concern is conducting works that disrupts the lives of others. To explain more / why I say this would be OT for a forum which is about railways.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2013
  11. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

The time allocated gives an opportunity to do platform work which may not be viable if the station is only closed overnight.

However, it's a small inconvenience for a short walk at street level along Villiers Street to Charing Cross.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2013
  12. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

That's from when the line was first built, as it initially terminated at Embankment on a loop. That's why the northbound platform has such a sharp curve too.

As for "publishing a timetable of work", what would that actually achieve? The heavy duty work doesn't always get done in order, and many people will not actually understand what they're being told. The ELL upgrade closed when it needed to for preparatory work, and just because the work is not immediately visible doesn't mean that it is not happening.

The few people who *need* to interchange between the District/Circle and the Northern/Bakerloo at that station can do so at Charing Cross station, which is a short walk up a pedestrianized street. Everyone else can interchange at Westminster, Victoria or Bank/Monument very easily.

13. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Interesting; is the disused loop tunnel still in situ? Wartime bunker or something?

14. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

15. Clip

Clip On Moderation

8th January - closed

43 weeks later - open.

I am unsure of what you expect them to publish really any more than what wasin the press release.

Just because you never saw anything happen on the ELL doesnt mean that there were no preparatry works before the heavy stuff started.

16. simple simon

simple simon Member

I did not see any works underway because I did not try to see any works. I dont live in that area.

Simon

17. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

No, but you were reporting what otheres said they had seen.

Presumably the point is much the same.

18. Clip

Clip On Moderation

As I said though - preparatory works will generally always be hidden from view as they ahve to set the site up - you dont just go in with a bulldozer and start smashing.

19. CNash

CNash Member

Villiers Street is not pedestrianized; vehicles can and do drive up it and turn off into John Adam Street at the top.

20. WhiteJoker

WhiteJoker Member

43 weeks sounds like a lot to me honestly. Surely they can replace a few escalators more quickly. I know of stores refurbishing the whole store including replacing the escalators (one of which had all 8 replaced) in a week or 4.

Ok. I have to swallow my words. The press release from TfL actually has more information. They also replace fire safety systems, ventilation, lightning and water. So they do more than just replacing some escalators. Just say so then. It will give you more credit with the public.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

22. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

I don't know the exact size of those at Embankment, but don't underground escalators tend to be significantly larger (and harder to access) than those in department stores and such like?

There's 10 at Embankment.

And of course the station isn't actually shutting. the Circle and District lines will still call and all trains will still be running through so it'll still be a busy area.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  23. WhiteJoker

WhiteJoker Member

They replace "just" 4, but you bring valid points. The press release mentions other works as well. It just doesn't get mentioned in the BBC article.

24. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

Escalators used on the Underground are very different to those used in shops. For a start they are largely bespoke (although increasingly components are 'off the shelf,' and built on site. They have huge machine chambers at the top and bottom compared to small electric motors in the floor in shops. They are typically in use for 20 Hr each day, every day, and very often overnight to move equipment for track workers, carrying thousands of customers. This is in addition to the safety requirements like fire suppression and monitoring equipment of all aspects.

25. Eagle

Eagle Established Member

Additionally, shop escalators are out in the open, whereas Underground escalators are often situated in long diagonal tunnels and are therefore harder for workers to access the relevant bits.

EDIT: Deerfold already mentioned that. Oops. :oops:

26. furlong

furlong Established Member

Like this:

i6escl2mch37es7.jpg

27. DavyCrocket

DavyCrocket Member

To the person who wants to know the schedule of works, sign up to whatdotheyknow.com and put in a FoI request to TfL for the information. Phrase the question properly and it'll be quicker and free.

28. simple simon

simple simon Member

well, today is the 7th, so the work is about to begin.

techandtrains101 has put a film on youtube saying farewell to the four escalators which are about to be replaced.

http://youtu.be/z6HSaDp73ag

Simon

29. Nym

Nym Established Member

I'm sorry, someone did a farewell video for escalators?

30. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

Yes, but he's only 13/14 so don't be too harsh! ;)

31. simple simon

simple simon Member

It visits the ones which are scheduled for replacement.

Your comment is very similar to what people said to me when they found out that I am 'into' trains.

There are many things which people find interesting 'out there' - its (*almost) all good, adding to the rich diversity of knowledge held by the human species here on Terra.

Anyway, what if someone does have an interest in escalators - there are many different types 'out there', including curved escalators and escalators with 'flat sections' more like moving walkways.

I used to know somewhere where there was a pair of long escalators for people going several floors which was flanked by shorter escalators which served all floors. Alas when I went back to film it the whole area had been redeveloped.

What can pose a safety risk are the very short escalators - I've seen people trip on these because they are so short that within seconds of entering it, you're already leaving it. This can easily happen if a person is walking on 'autopilot' whilst talking to someone (who is either standing next to them or on the mobile phone) and therefore not fully aware of their surroundings.

Hong Kong uses escalators as part of a very busy walking route...

I've included some escalators on the "Niche Transports" page on my website.

http://citytransport.info/Niche.htm#lift

This page is being updated and when completed will also include electric boats powered by overhead wires!

Simon

---------------------

*I abhor hobbies which kill or maim any of the lifeforms with which we share this planet. That includes fishing (if for sport), collecting bird eggs, butterflies, animal heads etc.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.