• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Assessment next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

Hi All;

cramming like crazy, seems like being going on for ever now what with rescheduled days but finally its here, or is next week. Thanks to everyone so far, loads of really good info.

A couple more questions for those who have done the day at Donny for Northern in recent times:

Do they do the SCAAT as well as the GBT or not? And is the GBT paper or computer based?

Also: I have the Barrons mechanical book that everyone says is the best for practice. I've missed chunks out though - such as rotating shapes, cut-ups and blocks - as there was no mention of these in the Northern material they sent. But is this stuff used and should I be practising it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

They use GB on a large fold out piece of paper only.

The mechanical comprehension was a lot harder than the silly junior school maths/physics problems that they send out in the application pack. I recall lots of pulley systems, pictures of 3D images asking what will move and how when x y z is moved, cut, etc. Some hydraulics stuff which was easier - and a few calculation based questions on volume IIRC. I did A-Level physics and am quite good with the 'ol maths and I was suprised by the paper. I think if you have a logical mind and can look at things pragmatically and not confuse easily much of the paper can be "worked out" with a good hard stare.

W230

Established Member
Like Silv1983 says.

GB on paper. The Mechanical Comprehension test was a lot harder than I thought it would be - likewise I had done Maths & Physics at A-level years ago but was still surprised.

No shapes - just pulleys, cogs, levers, and some pictures. Think I got to about 16 (of maybe 40 questions?) in the time and passed. Maybe I did more than that though - can't remember now! :lol:

I think the earlier questions may have been easier. Also I don't believe it is marked on accuracy, so if you really are stuck, guess and move on to the next question.

Daniel84

I did the mechanical bit for the job with DB Schenker at the start of the year and really thought it was touch and go if I'd got through, as it turned out I passed, I managed to answer all of the questions even though there was a lot of guesswork in there. If I do get another shot then I'm not sure I would answer it the same way again and worry next time I wouldn't be so lucky.

Geeves

Established Member
If you have been practicing on the computer for the 'Dots' be careful when it comes to the paper dots test at DB.

Obviously seeing the test with the dots so big I must of relaxed a bit too much and went on to fail the damn thing. Too many errors.

The stuff I didnt practice I received 'Good passes' Typical eh. The cables and dials one was probably the hardest one I thought.

Unfortunately if you fail one of the written exercises all that practicing on the Bopit will have been for nothing, as they dont put you through...

Good luck!

Last edited:

JCLeeds

If you have been practicing on the computer for the 'Dots' be careful when it comes to the paper dots test at DB.

Obviously seeing the test with the dots so big I must of relaxed a bit too much and went on to fail the damn thing. Too many errors.

The stuff I didnt practice I received 'Good passes' Typical eh. The cables and dials one was probably the hardest one I thought.

Unfortunately if you fail one of the written exercises all that practicing on the Bopit will have been for nothing, as they dont put you through...

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, 2 days to go... I havent been on the bopit anyway as I dont have one! (Dont have kids, also opinion was divided on whether it was helpful?) so I've practiced everything apart from that.... Hope that doesn't bite me... Anyway its all or nowt now, so here we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.