• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern auto ticket machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
Went to honley station. Tried to buy ticket. Touch screen all but useless. Eventually got to bit where it said next train available to barnsley was 15.xx. Panic. Checked info display next train 14.20, same on app on phone. Got a promise to pay. Train arrives 14.20, guard very helpful.

If I hadn't checked and relied on ticket machine I would have tried to get a taxi as the train it suggested was too late for. Y appointment.

Anyone else had this happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
Standard for Northern ticket vending machines which are, quite frankly, unfit for purpose.

plugwash

Established Member
The rail industry seems to have a habbit of trying to solve one problem, but creating others in the process, sometimes ones that were worse than the original problem.

Ticket machines used to work by having the customer select the destination and ticket type, the problem with this is on some journeys there are a dizzying array of tickets with different validity rules.

So Northern have moved to their machines to a system which is largely planner based ("iirc with the exception of the tickets shown on the start screen, which are still sold in the conventional way). This solves some of the problems, but create new ones. Firstly they are much slower to use. Secondly they won't offer services that are departing imminently, presumably because of fears that people will buy a ticket and then complain that they can't use it. Thirdly like online ticket sales they are totally reliant on the "electronic" restrictions, which don't always line up precisely with the actual contractual restrictions on tickets, because the rail industry seems to be incapable of designing an electronic restrictions system that can handle the complexity of the contractual restrictions on it's tickets.

The workaround for those in the know is to just pick a train that has the ticket type you want available, even if you don't plan on actually using said train, but it's a bit much to expect regular customers to know that.

The large screens also seem to be a case of this, presumably they were introduced to better accommodate passengers of different height (kids and wheelchair users, VS standing adults), but it seems to have come at a high price in terms of responsiveness of the screen.

Fortunately the gaurds seem to be on the passengers side, you just have to hope you run into a guard before running into revenue protection staff.

SteveM70

Established Member
The biggest issue is that when buying an anytime return, off peak day return etc the machine requires the user to select a specific return train even though there’s no such restriction in reality. I know of at least three people who’ve bought unnecessary additional tickets for the return journey because they didn’t get the specific train they’d selected on the machine

janb

The biggest issue is that when buying an anytime return, off peak day return etc the machine requires the user to select a specific return train even though there’s no such restriction in reality. I know of at least three people who’ve bought unnecessary additional tickets for the return journey because they didn’t get the specific train they’d selected on the machine

You don't have to select a return train in the left hand column, you can select the fare in the right hand column and add to basket. But normal users won't necessarily realise that.

Marton

I have seen a passenger told a ticket wasn’t valid because it had a time on it despite being a day return, there being no restricted tickets on the route.

JBuchananGB

I bought an off-peak day return with Northern through an app, and it came with a counted place reservation on the train I nominated during the booking process even though I didn’t request or require a reservation, and the ticket was valid on any off-peak train. Very confusing. As it happens, I did travel on the predicted train!

Starmill

Veteran Member
You don't have to select a return train in the left hand column, you can select the fare in the right hand column and add to basket. But normal users won't necessarily realise that.
Not quite. If the ticket you want to select wouldn't be valid on any of the return departures shown on the screen, you won't be able to purchase the ticket even if you don't select any return departure. You'll have to scroll forward or backwards in time in order to make the other tickets appear to click straight onto them.

Status
Not open for further replies.