• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern cancellations and ticket validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Given this list of services here that are cancelled or part cancelled
https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/coronavirus-travel-information

does anyone know if Northern have arranged ticket acceptance with other TOCs as a matter of routine for northern only tickets or are people supposed to check on a case by case basis?

Of course NRES lists alternative services, but does not indicate if you can use them if ticket was 'Northern Only'

The only advice you see seems to be about changing your Advance ticket - but if you need to travel anyway you might hope another TOC might take you, but the info seems silent on that....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Evrn in the current circumstances, that is an extraordinary large set of cancellations. For example, all Darlington-Saltburn services cancelled on Saturday? Not much good if you're trying to get to work.

Northetn, the company that outshines all others in letting the public down yet again.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Evrn in the current circumstances, that is an extraordinary large set of cancellations. For example, all Darlington-Saltburn services cancelled on Saturday? Not much good if you're trying to get to work.

Northetn, the company that outshines all others in letting the public down yet again.
Yes, exactly - some whole routes taken out it would seem - but little clarity as to what their ticket holders should actually do! I mean am I supposed to just turn up at station and ask another TOCs guard if they will let me on?

Veteran Member

I assume that Bishop A-Saltburn is running, as per today when same info applied.
I also assume that Northern are having their hand forced by staff absence?

TUC

Established Member
I assume that Bishop A-Saltburn is running, as per today when same info applied.
I also assume that Northern are having their hand forced by staff absence?
Given that Darlington-Saltburn is part of the Bishop Auckland-Saltburn line it would seem an extraordinary piece of unclear literalism by Northern if they actually meant that some services are running.

Darandio

Established Member
Given that Darlington-Saltburn is part of the Bishop Auckland-Saltburn line it would seem an extraordinary piece of unclear literalism by Northern if they actually meant that some services are running.

It does look confusing but it was the same today. Bishop Auckland to Saltburn services are running, those starting from and terminating at Darlington are not.

alistairlees

Established Member
It is incredibly unclear. You really have to know your railway timetable, and to be familiar with local geography, to know that this means that there is an every 60 minute frequency (rather than every 30 minute frequency) on the Darlington - Eaglescliffe - Thornaby - Middlesbrough - Redcar - Saltburn route.

kieron

Established Member
I think you need more than a rail timetable to make sense of what Northern are doing. For example, all three of today's trains to Ellesmere Port were cancelled today. You can book a journey for Monday which uses them, but who knows if anything will show up? There's nothing about this line in the press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.