• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern City Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_K666

I took a short detour on my way home on Thursday evening to have a look at this. Pretty easy as I was coming from Potters Bar. It felt very strange going into a tube tunnel in a mainline train.

One thing that struck me was how some of the platforms taper at the north end, as the tunnel portal is in the centre of the headwall rather than off to one side. This is probably because of the curve and it would have been a lot more hit and miss with the alignments when it was built.

On arrival at Moorgate I saw the blind tunnel in which those 43 people died in that terrible accident. Did 3 tube cars really end up in that short space?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
On arrival at Moorgate I saw the blind tunnel in which those 43 people died in that terrible accident. Did 3 tube cars really end up in that short space?

Pretty much, although it was about longer in those days - more like the length of platform 10 but as they couldn't get all of the wreckage out they concreted some of it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.