• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 142 sightings

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Anyone seen 142047/57 recently? They're the last two I need to clear Northern's whole Pacer Fleet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

darloscott

Yes, given that they're all still in service, so the general rule still applies that, if it's a Newton Heath based unit go to Manchester and you'll probably see it, and if it's a Heaton based unit, pick one of Sheffield or Newcastle and you'll probably see it. :lol:

It's less likely that you'll see either of those two around Manchester as they're Heaton based units

Indeed you could see the same unit in Sheffield and Newcastle in the same day... there is at least one diagram that includes both! I believe there is still a Heaton unit that goes to Manchester on the Hope Valley during the day too, leaves Sheffield about 1400 off the top of my head?

Bezza49

New member alert...

Got back into trains in 2017 after a long lay-off (1999ish).

I'm now scrambling to pick up as many 142's as possible. The Welsh ones are difficult for me, but making good progress on the Northern ones.

Been reading about the Heaton / Newton Heath stuff. I saw 142094 at Buckshaw Parkway on 31st October, would be out of place. Do they get moved around a little bit depending on stock levels?

Bezza49

Also, Thursday 15th November, recent business trip starting from Preston I saw:

142045, 142052, 142053 at Preston around 7.45am
142030 at Wigan thereafter

simon7929

The HT units can be found over most of the Northern network but the NE does tend to be a HT 142 stronghold. NH units don't tend to stray North of York or East of Carlisle very often. If they do they are quickly returned back via the West line or ECS back to York.

Matt_pool

Still plenty of 142's on the Manchester - Warrington - Liverpool line, much to my annoyance!

In fact, last Friday I went to catch the 23.12 from Man Oxford Road to Liverpool. It was a 2 carriage Pacer that started at Manchester Airport (they are usually use 4 carriages - 2 x Sprinters - on that route!) so was already packed by the time it got to Oxford Road. It was so packed I couldn't get on it so went for the 23.29 to Liverpool which was, you guessed, a 2 carriage Pacer (usually 4 carriages on the last train of the evening from Manchester to Liverpool). It was sardine, I mean standing, room only!

John Taylor

142068 out on the 17:41 Today off Newcastle to Nunthrope.
Today marks day 3 of a bench seat pacer (Monday - 142067, Tuesday - 142023, Today - 142068) and lucky me recieved 142015.

simon7929

It has been a bit elusive in the NE of late. I have seen it though a few times this year in the summer around Darlington/Middlesbrough.

simon7929

Units 142 019/22/50/78 and 094 have all been at Middlesbrough at some point today. Number 19 has been sat in the sidings for most of the day.

John Taylor

When will Northern be doing the £10 unlimited travel deal? As I would love to get down to ride Leeds area.

simon7929

They tend not to do them deals near Christmas. The trains are exceptionally busy and don't need the extra custom. January tends to be a quiet month. I would guess an ideal time to encourage more bottoms on seats would be then.

Red Devil

Still plenty of 142's on the Manchester - Warrington - Liverpool line, much to my annoyance!

In fact, last Friday I went to catch the 23.12 from Man Oxford Road to Liverpool. It was a 2 carriage Pacer that started at Manchester Airport (they are usually use 4 carriages - 2 x Sprinters - on that route!) so was already packed by the time it got to Oxford Road. It was so packed I couldn't get on it so went for the 23.29 to Liverpool which was, you guessed, a 2 carriage Pacer (usually 4 carriages on the last train of the evening from Manchester to Liverpool). It was sardine, I mean standing, room only!
This service is diagrammed a 150,trust me I've seen the docket, when TPE ran this service it was a 3car 185 and that was always heaving.
As for single units on last services it just shows the disdain that Arriva have for the franchise.
This is just putting passengers and staff in danger. Passengers due to overcrowding and staff having to bear the rightful anger of the passengers for being treated this way

On Moderation
This service is diagrammed a 150,trust me I've seen the docket, when TPE ran this service it was a 3car 185 and that was always heaving.
As for single units on last services it just shows the disdain that Arriva have for the franchise.
This is just putting passengers and staff in danger. Passengers due to overcrowding and staff having to bear the rightful anger of the passengers for being treated this way
You have been reading too many RMT press releases.

In what way is overcrowding dangerous for passengers? Uncomfortable, yes. Dangerous, no.

AMD

I think you'll find that many last services are booked as more than one unit, however there is a shortage of units at present - at worst there have been 43 units out of service which is a massive chunk of the fleet, and the service throughout the day is struggling to cope.

Red Devil

You have been reading too many RMT press releases.

In what way is overcrowding dangerous for passengers? Uncomfortable, yes. Dangerous, no.
When you've driven these services, as I have,come back to me

On Moderation
When you've driven these services, as I have,come back to me
Ah. “Special” driver syndrome. I understand now.

I’ve stood on the last train out of Waterloo on a Friday night. You get the pissheads down here as well, you know. Didn’t feel any less safe than sitting.

Red Devil

Ah. “Special” driver syndrome. I understand now.

I’ve stood on the last train out of Waterloo on a Friday night. You get the pissheads down here as well, you know. Didn’t feel any less safe than sitting.
"Special?" Not at all. Thing is when you're stood up you've only yourself to think about. Train crew have the whole train.

John Taylor

142023 + 142025 formed the additional Hartlepool to Newcastle service today. In other news 156491 nearly caught fire at MetroCentre and had to return to Heaton, 142092 was sent to rescue those stranded.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
142033 currently bouncing me along from Sheffield to Manchester on the first Hope Valley stopper of the day. Heating most certainly on the blink.

djpontrack

142036 on the 09:30 Lancaster to Morecambe. Not sure how many trips it does on the branch before heading off somewhere else.

djpontrack

142012 & ? on the 10:27 from Wigan NW to stalybridge. The other unit is not known as a 150 was obscuring my view.

mark_47769

24/11/18
142007 sat in platform 6 at Chester
142034 5T60 0835 Newton Heath Traction Maintenance Depot to Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.