• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 142 sightings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGH 1

I only listen to the radio, but on Radio 4 in the last few days I've heard;
Some politician from Manchester say 'when we jump on a train for the 2 - hour journey over the Pennines - it's a Pacer!'
and ( on R4 'Today', I think) a BBC transport expert reporting live from a railway station in the North saying 'and there's a Pacer leaving - you can probably hear it'; but I could only hear a Sprinter/Super Sprinter.
Of course, they're often described as 'old bus bodies on freight trucks'.

Possibly it's because 'Pacer' is a snappy name that's easily remembered even if you aren't any good at detail - an advantage to politicians and journalists.

What will the new bogey-man be when the Pacers are extinct? ,
I think we already know it's called CAF.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
142055 and prm unit has been busy today starting off with the 0824 wigan nw to mcv. from ending late last night at wigan nw after working in from stalybridge after doing the syb shuttles all day yesterday. it has been on mcv to southport turns and will end today at manchester victoria ex 2254 from southport. unless a unit swap occurs at southport. around 2250 because at the momment due to last southport cancled last night at victoria no driver which should have been 142051 from the kirkbys workings. there is no 142 in place for the 0648 to blackburn. which then does starting blackburn 1219 etc the 142 and 150 job via todmorden . however 142055 could well be / maybe the last 142 in service on a sunday. 142055 was with 150108.

warwickshire

On Moderation
also 142 workings dont know where this should go. but rumour has it some are staying x 4 at least to around 6 march . does anyone know for sure the proposed diagramms for these. if so wouldnt it be great iff in the x4 the x3 different seating examples are kept. but does anyone know which two diagramms these could possibly be. any assistance greatly would help.

IamTrainsYT

also 142 workings dont know where this should go. but rumour has it some are staying x 4 at least to around 6 march . does anyone know for sure the proposed diagramms for these. if so wouldnt it be great iff in the x4 the x3 different seating examples are kept. but does anyone know which two diagramms these could possibly be. any assistance greatly would help.
Manchester Piccadilly to new mills central and Manchester Piccadilly to rose hill Marple. One unit from each will run the late evening Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield

WesternLancer

Established Member
I only listen to the radio, but on Radio 4 in the last few days I've heard;
Some politician from Manchester say 'when we jump on a train for the 2 - hour journey over the Pennines - it's a Pacer!'
and ( on R4 'Today', I think) a BBC transport expert reporting live from a railway station in the North saying 'and there's a Pacer leaving - you can probably hear it'; but I could only hear a Sprinter/Super Sprinter.
Of course, they're often described as 'old bus bodies on freight trucks'.

Possibly it's because 'Pacer' is a snappy name that's easily remembered even if you aren't any good at detail - an advantage to politicians and journalists.

What will the new bogey-man be when the Pacers are extinct? ,
Yes, I wonder what the journos will do when Northern announce 'all Pacers gone' and they rock up to the station and see a 150 or whatever and get all confused! Research their story properly? i doubt it...

Karl

On Moderation
142/150 just passed Clitheroe RailCam towards CLH. I think it next forms the 0725 return to Rochdale 2J23.

IamTrainsYT

150211 and 142036 forming the Delayed 16:49 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-10_17-26-38.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-10_17-26-38.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Yes, I wonder what the journos will do when Northern announce 'all Pacers gone' and they rock up to the station and see a 150 or whatever and get all confused! Research their story properly? i doubt it...

I am not expressing any opinion about railway nationalisation or protecting my one-time employer , but, on the radio, I have so often heard politicians arguing against re-nationalisation, journalists too, by saying ' BR sandwiches were terrible' - even though this is not, in my opinion, relevant (and, also, you weren't forced to eat them, the politician might not actually be old enough to remember them, they were supplied by outside (private enterprise) suppliers, why not bring your own food?, etc.).

Of course there are things wrong with the railways but the criticism so often seems ill-founded. However, and perhaps this illuminates; one of my mates was a bank manager before retirement and ,when I've mentioned this distortion, he says that, while his business was not perfect, exactly the same sort of ill-informed and unjust criticisms were made about it, too. I guess it's a form of 'cognitive dissonance' (aka ?'confirmation bias') - people just accept criticism at face value unquestioningly if they have a negative bias against an industry, and politicians and journos play up to it.

KvW

142036 on the rear of the 19:49 Man Picc - Sheffield tonight, pictured at New Mills Central. The 19:14 Sheffield - Manchester, usually a 4 car, was just a solo 150118 this evening.
142036_NMC_10-2-20_Kev_W.jpg

warwickshire

On Moderation
mcv pacer round up
142045 156452 on the am peak kirkby service 2k60 and 2j30
142055 and 150108 was today on the daytime mcv 0736 1113 1413 1713 return workings
sadly none on the blackburn copy pit mcv wigan one that one can be a hard one to achieve
other workings where 142043 150145 1242 rochdale to blackburn
clitheroe 1525 to rochdale 142090 150135 means both the ex ns spirit seat types on this circuit
142047 1618 blackburn to rochdale with 158901
142045 duly on peak 1736 southport wih a 156 unit.

man picc pacer round up
142041 on both the 0854 ex marple day newton heath tmd and 1637 to rosehill suspect 041 will be on rose hills all day tommorow
142061 which spent weekend at stockport cs on 1010 to rose hill
unit swap at man picc 142036 150119 on 1649 to sheffield as reported hence late start. ex rose hills should have been 1749
however the new mills centrals which worked usually 1649. and was on the 0919 to nmc in morning was 156425 142011. swap unkown . maybe 142011 had a issue and 1749 left two car hence swap and 150 went solo.. or maybe staff issue no two guards due to hathersage etc. and guard needed elsewhere due to todays weather.

BR 45111

As reported elsewhere only 142036 made it to Sheffield tonight , the other two following workings were both solo 150’s .

Karl

On Moderation
142036 on the rear of the 19:49 Man Picc - Sheffield tonight, pictured at New Mills Central. The 19:14 Sheffield - Manchester, usually a 4 car, was just a solo 150118 this evening.
View attachment 73735

Simply evocative!

Reminds me of returning from Preston and getting off at Bamber Bridge. Thank you for sharing.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Sorry if what I'm about to ask is posted previously in this thread, but I don't have time to read through it all tonight.

I'm planning to visit Manchester on Saturday (weather permitting!) to film the 142's before they go out of service (given that they are all but gone now in Sheffield). Which services are they likely to be used on this Saturday?

I have heard Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple, and Victoria to Stalybridge, Wigan North Western and Clitheroe as likely candidates. I heard from someone that 21 units are left in service, but further up it seems to be suggested that only 5 are still in service. What are my chances of seeing one?

IamTrainsYT

Sorry if what I'm about to ask is posted previously in this thread, but I don't have time to read through it all tonight.

I'm planning to visit Manchester on Saturday (weather permitting!) to film the 142's before they go out of service (given that they are all but gone now in Sheffield). Which services are they likely to be used on this Saturday?

I have heard Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple, and Victoria to Stalybridge, Wigan North Western and Clitheroe as likely candidates. I heard from someone that 21 units are left in service, but further up it seems to be suggested that only 5 are still in service. What are my chances of seeing one?
Victoria to stalybridge was one that wasn’t supposed to happen!
There allocations are:
Rochdale to clitheroe
Manchester Victoria to Kirkby
Manchester piccadilly to new mills central
Manchester Piccadilly to rose hill marple
Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield (peak only)

IamTrainsYT

142041 with 150204 waiting outside new mills central. Will form 2S13, 10:34 to Manchester Piccadilly. All going well this should form tonight’s 2S78 16:19 MAN - SHF

WesternLancer

Established Member

I easily found some on Rochdale to Clitheroe last Saturday (inc some on Rochdale to only as far as Blackburn) - not every train though, but they could have alternated on services or some such - or every third maybe. Scenic potential on parts of the route too.

In 2 cases it was a 142 coupled to a refurbed 158 which is quite a contrast. Driver said it was a very big contrast driving wise when he stopped to chat with me when I was taking a picture.

Serathor

If this information helps anyone...
Taken from the WR Social Media page...

I am not affiliated with the WR in anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-133007_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-133007_Samsung Internet.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 55

ed1971

I easily found some on Rochdale to Clitheroe last Saturday (inc some on Rochdale to only as far as Blackburn) - not every train though, but they could have alternated on services or some such - or every third maybe. Scenic potential on parts of the route too.

In 2 cases it was a 142 coupled to a refurbed 158 which is quite a contrast. Driver said it was a very big contrast driving wise when he stopped to chat with me when I was taking a picture.

I was there as well. The unit was 142047, I didn't get the number of the 158. According to another poster, there were 3 142s on the Rochdale to Blackburn/Clitheroe route last Saturday. I returned to Bolton on the same train which was the 16:19 departure from Blackburn. According to another poster, it looks like there was also a 142 on the 10:35am Kirkby to Manchester Victoria service last Saturday. There hasn't been on the previous two Saturdays..

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was there as well. The unit was 142047, I didn't get the number of the 158. According to another poster, there were 3 142s on the Rochdale to Blackburn/Clitheroe route last Saturday. I returned to Bolton on the same train which was the 16:19 departure from Blackburn. According to another poster, it looks like there was also a 142 on the 10:35am Kirkby to Manchester Victoria service last Saturday. There hasn't been on the previous two Saturdays..
All good stuff, yes sounds as I recall, and no doubt as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.