• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sure good old BR would have regeared them to more Northern like stop start speeds of say 75mph.

What would actually make sense would be to put these, with their plush seats and nicer interiors, on Northern Connect, and the mechanical-transmission, ironing-board-seated 195s on services like these.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
What would actually make sense would be to put these, with their plush seats and nicer interiors, on Northern Connect, and the mechanical-transmission, ironing-board-seated 195s on services like these.
I think Northern want to keep the relatively affluent passengers who use the York-Harrogate-Leeds service happy.

Muttley

I'm sure good old BR would have regeared them to more Northern like stop start speeds of say 75mph.
K
If it were still BR, they'd be now running at 75mph on the Harrogate line, seeing as that's what the resignalling scheme delivered.
As it is, Northern won't pay the extra track access charges.
Privatisation, the gift that just keeps giving.

AMD

I thought the 170s where being re fitted to Northerns cramped ironing board seat standard.
Not planned, only the 158 fleet will be getting the new seats (along with the new trains), everything else is now just refresh with new cushions and covers.

PomWombat

If it were still BR, they'd be now running at 75mph on the Harrogate line, seeing as that's what the resignalling scheme delivered.
As it is, Northern won't pay the extra track access charges.
If re-signalling brought 75mph speed limits, wouldn't Network Rail change the limits regardless of what speed Northern wanted to run at/pay for?

PomWombat

Much as I like the 170's at the moment, I kinda agree.

Whoever ends up with the 195's in the current timetable (extended into the next 6 months), I suspect they'll not want to give them back when the Connect services do start up.

PomWombat

I've noticed a gradual increase in the PIS displays working on Northern's 170 - both internal and external, and on both refurbished units and non-refurbished ones.
No voice announcements yet, though.

rich r

On Saturday I saw 170474 at Selby - the first time I've seen anything other than a 142/144/150/153/158 Northern there. Was this just out of place due to the strikes, or does anyone know if we might see more 170s in this area? They look so much more modern in comparison :)

PomWombat

I used the Harrogate line during the strike yesterday, where the 170's can be found in abundance on normal weekdays. Yesterday I ended up on a 4-car sprinter, which is a formation that has recently all but disappeared from the line - with no 170's spotted in the opposite direction.

Maybe they are just preparing for a massive change-around on tomorrow's timetable.

Kieran1990

On Saturday I saw 170474 at Selby - the first time I've seen anything other than a 142/144/150/153/158 Northern there. Was this just out of place due to the strikes, or does anyone know if we might see more 170s in this area? They look so much more modern in comparison :)

The plan as of Monday is the Class 170s will he used on
Harrogate Loop
Leeds-Selby
Leeds-York (stopping via Garforth)
Leeds-Huddersfield via Dewsbury (These are TPE services but northern Class 170s operated)

There was talk that they would be used on York-Hull services but unsure if this is going ahead- anyone confirm?

northernchris

Established Member
Leeds-York (stopping via Garforth)

I'm not sure they are to be used on this service, as they interlink at York with the Preston service, and I thought they were banned from the Calder Valley. Unless they are to work the additional peak services

superkev

Established Member
I'm not sure they are to be used on this service, as they interlink at York with the Preston service, and I thought they were banned from the Calder Valley. Unless they are to work the additional peak services
I believe the offending calder valley tunnel has been opened out.
K

Adam0984

I believe the only on that’s a 170 is the 1740 Leeds to York, not sure if there’s a morning one but they have to be stand-alone services as they can’t go to Preston

John C

I think this would of been crew training runs on Saturday as prior to their introduction onto the Harrogate line Leeds-Selby was a regularly used route. It would of been either 5Z02,03,04 or 5Z05 which you saw that ran yesterday.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...8/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

John C

Looking at the timetable from tomorrow as part of the timetable change this weekend it looks like Leeds-Garforth-York/Selby stoppers have become self contained working with no through Calder valley workings (with the exception of a couple early morning and late evening workings). The through Calder valley service from Preston to York now in most cases calls only at Church Fenton between Leeds and York.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

northernchris

Established Member
Looking at the timetable from tomorrow as part of the timetable change this weekend it looks like Leeds-Garforth-York/Selby stoppers have become self contained working with no through Calder valley workings (with the exception of a couple early morning and late evening workings). The through Calder valley service from Preston to York now in most cases calls only at Church Fenton between Leeds and York.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

The Manchester Victoria service has been split at Leeds and will no longer go through to York and Selby, however the Preston-York will then pick up the York-Leeds-York before heading back to Preston

rich r

Many thanks - I look forward to going to work (Leeds) on a 170 for the first time soon :)

Kite159

Veteran Member

Last week (1st Dec) there was a 170 running back & forth on driving training runs, so it might have been another driver training run?
170473 passes South Milford.jpg

rich r

Confirmed that Selby-Leeds this morning was a refurbished 170 (and very nice it was too). Several 170s at Leeds station too, with fewer 15x units.

Monkeyhead

Saw 2 170's this morning at Garforth, neither seemed to have working destination displays or PIS, though one was refurbished.

Got on the refurb'd one to Leeds, and while nice to get a seat, at 6'3", the neck rest really just digs into my shoulders unless I slouch down in the seat. Was also surprised to see a 3 car 158 blast though (think it said Preston on, which ties in with the above), surprising as everything from Northern has seemed to stop at Garforth for ages.....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Got on the refurb'd one to Leeds, and while nice to get a seat, at 6'3", the neck rest really just digs into my shoulders unless I slouch down in the seat

Yeah, I've long had that issue with 170 seats, but as the cushions are soft and the backs quite raked I always found slouching quite comfortable in these. Have Northern fitted harder cushions?

Monkeyhead

Yeah, I've long had that issue with 170 seats, but as the cushions are soft and the backs quite raked I always found slouching quite comfortable in these. Have Northern fitted harder cushions?

The cushions seemed fine, but I'm not sure the girl sitting opposite me would have appreciated me slouching down and pushing my legs even further into "her space". Not the end of the world for a 10 min journey into Leeds though I guess......

HullRailMan

There was a Northern 170 sat in the sidings at Hull last week. Does that mean they are heading our way?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A Northern refreshed 170 is my transport on the 1452 Huddersfield to Leeds. Not overly impressed with the state of the unit, they seem to have chosen the best possible cloth for showing stains up! Plug and USB ports are a nice touch, on the assumption that they're in use. The PIS is simply displaying "Turbostar Class 170".

Note for those interested: unit was 170478.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.