• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM93

Rail magazine 857

More Class 170/4 will leave Scotrail and transfer to Northern at the end of July with more due to follow in August.

It does not say how many trains or why some units transfer in August and not July as planned.

Probably something to do with the funny windscreens on the 385s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Far north 37

Established Member
Probably something to do with the funny windscreens on the 385s.
More to do with the hst’s not been introduced on time i believe the introduction of the class 365’s has pretty much sorted the cascade of dmu’s from the glasgow edinburgh services.

johntea

Established Member
Where on earth has the unit vanished that has had the refurbishments done in terms of kitting out power and USB to the seats? (The Northern livery one)

I can't remember the last time I travelled on it or even saw it travelling about!

John C

Where on earth has the unit vanished that has had the refurbishments done in terms of kitting out power and USB to the seats? (The Northern livery one)

I can't remember the last time I travelled on it or even saw it travelling about!

170476 was out in service on Saturday I traveled on it on the 14:08 York to Leeds but was declared a failure at Harrogate due to faulty aircon. It ran empty from Harrogate to Leeds and presumably onto Neville Hill. 150131 then picked up its diagram from Leeds.

superkev

Established Member
170476 was out in service on Saturday I traveled on it on the 14:08 York to Leeds but was declared a failure at Harrogate due to faulty aircon. It ran empty from Harrogate to Leeds and presumably onto Neville Hill. 150131 then picked up its diagram from Leeds.
Northerns 'refurbishment' dosent seem to include anything mechanical. Purely cosmetic.
I hear the 170's may go on the Nottingham route rather than leeds Southport so they can stretch there legs a bit. The Harrogate line has a 65mph limit so with the 170 gear change point also being 65 they don't get out of 1st gear. Can't be good for fuel consumption or reliability. Perhaps they need regearing to suit Northerns slow network.
K

Established Member
Northerns 'refurbishment' dosent seem to include anything mechanical. Purely cosmetic.
I hear the 170's may go on the Nottingham route rather than leeds Southport so they can stretch there legs a bit. The Harrogate line has a 65mph limit so with the 170 gear change point also being 65 they don't get out of 1st gear. Can't be good for fuel consumption or reliability. Perhaps they need regearing to suit Northerns slow network.
K

Well that would be interesting as the Nottingham route will be a Connect route and the intention so far doesn't seem to be to put 170's on Connect Services.

Geeves

Established Member
Do the WMT 170s have a different gearing set up to the Northern/ex Scotrail ones? You don't seem to hear of any issues on the Chase Valley line for example?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The downside of not having any "emergency" hoppers like in a 158, I say downside but perhaps there will be more effort made into ensuring that the air-conditioning works than in the 158, as they have a get out clause in the form of the hoppers.
Sam

Kieran1990

Does anybody know how many will be running upon the Harrogate Line eventually once Northern have received them all?

In the current timetable which is valid till May 19 off peak, once all the Class 170s are with Northern it’ll be 5. But peak time could see 6/7 in use.

When it goes 4tph on the loop
Leeds-York- 3x Class 170
Leeds-Knas 2x Class 170
Leeds-Harrogate 3x Class 170!
7 off peak
Peak- I’m not too sure possibly rise to 8 units

AverageTD

I'm travelling on the Harrogate loop on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th July. Does anyone the 170 diagrams for this day.

northernchris

Established Member
I'm travelling on the Harrogate loop on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th July. Does anyone the 170 diagrams for this day.

Both Leeds-Knaresborough diagrams are booked 170s (xx:59 from Leeds) although this changes at peak times as well as one of the Leeds-York diagrams which leaves Leeds at 0929, 1229, 1529 and 1829

superkev

Established Member
Perhaps now that the Scottish Golf has finished and the Edinburgh Glasgow electrics are in use the 12 outstanding 170's will be heading south soon.
K

Grannyjoans

Are the 170's still going on the Southport - Leeds ?
There was talk of getting trained on them in September but it's now all gone quiet.
I'm a Driver and find the 150's very uncomfortable and looking forwards to getting some much better traction on some of my routes.
Especially the 170's, and the new trains, when they arrive next year. I think the cabs will be much more ergonomic than a 14X or 15X. It is very much needed and much deserved after putting up with the scrap for so long.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
There was talk of getting trained on them in September but it's now all gone quiet.
I'm a Driver and find the 150's very uncomfortable and looking forwards to getting some much better traction on some of my routes.
Especially the 170's, and the new trains, when they arrive next year. I think the cabs will be much more ergonomic than a 14X or 15X. It is very much needed and much deserved after putting up with the scrap for so long.
I've just read that 170s are banned on the Calder Valley line, which is why we never saw a TPE one on diversions. Surely Northern must have done their homework. Does "banned" just mean "never been gauged"?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've just read that 170s are banned on the Calder Valley line, which is why we never saw a TPE one on diversions. Surely Northern must have done their homework. Does "banned" just mean "never been gauged"?

Probably never been gauged. Gauging is done now for routes a particular class is planned to work over but it can always be done in retrospect if a requirement arises to travel over other routes

scotraildriver

Established Member
These 170s are not a bad place to spend a shift. Just ask a fitter to show you how to reset the temperamental cab air con! When it's working it's great when it's not it's a greenhouse. Its easy to fix though. Hope you enjoy our old units I certainly liked them.

DanNCL

Established Member
Does anyone know what's happening with the pair of 170s that have been at Heaton for nearly 2 weeks? They're in debranded ScotRail livery, so I assume that they are for Northern?

Established Member
Does anyone know what's happening with the pair of 170s that have been at Heaton for nearly 2 weeks? They're in debranded ScotRail livery, so I assume that they are for Northern?

Yes they are. I'm not sure why they're at Heaton, though.

superkev

Established Member
Yes they are. I'm not sure why they're at Heaton, though.
They had some problem while on there way from Edinburgh to Neville hill so finished up at Heaton. Of the other 4 recent arrivals 2 are at Holbeck and 2 whent straight to crew for redecoration.
As for the proposed use along the Calder valley I suspect the problem is weasel hill tunnel between Hebden bridge and Todmorden which is full of steelwork having had structural problems since it was built.
At least use on the Nottingams will allow them to get out of 1st gear (65mpg) which dosent happen on the Harrogate line or indeed on many of Northern s dmu routes.
K

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
As for the proposed use along the Calder valley I suspect the problem is beacon hill tunnel between Hebden bridge and Todmorden which is full of steelwork having had structural problems since it was built.K
Beacon Hill Tunnel is just on the Bradford side of Halifax. The four tunnels between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden are Weasel Hall, Horsfall, Castle Hill and Millwood. Horsfall had structural problems and was extensively rebuilt around 20 years ago, as you can see at the western end, but the rebuild was done with adequate clearances, so I'm told. So I'm not sure which tunnel you're referring to.

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
Beacon Hill Tunnel is just on the Bradford side of Halifax. The four tunnels between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden are Weasel Hall, Horsfall, Castle Hill and Millwood. Horsfall had structural problems and was extensively rebuilt around 20 years ago, as you can see at the western end, but the rebuild was done with adequate clearances, so I'm told. So I'm not sure which tunnel you're referring to.
Sorry didn't mean beacon hill. I think it's weasel hill tunnel.
K

Kite159

Veteran Member
Putting the 170s on the more long distance services towards Nottingham would make sense than having them on stoppers (mainly for fuel economy).

pemma

Veteran Member
Putting the 170s on the more long distance services towards Nottingham would make sense than having them on stoppers (mainly for fuel economy).

The Nottingham services will be getting brand new 195s next year. Despite that I'm not sure why the Harrogate Line was chosen for 170s, the only reason I can think of is some of the senior Northern managers wanted decent trains on their local line without taking the piss and putting the brand new stock on it with it not being a 'regional express' style line.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The Nottingham services will be getting brand new 195s next year. Despite that I'm not sure why the Harrogate Line was chosen for 170s, the only reason I can think of is some of the senior Northern managers wanted decent trains on their local line without taking the piss and putting the brand new stock on it with it not being a 'regional express' style line.
Really the 170s would be better suited (performance-wise) to some of the Connect routes that are going to get 195s. The 170 likes to "stretch its legs" in top gear, whereas the 195 has a ZF mechanical transmission, like the 172, so should be equally at home on slow/hilly lines.

Mollman

Established Member
Probably never been gauged. Gauging is done now for routes a particular class is planned to work over but it can always be done in retrospect if a requirement arises to travel over other routes

I'd day that would be the case. TPE put 170s mainly on Hull workings which were / are always terminated at Leeds during engineering work.

Grannyjoans

I've heard that 170's have Structure Gauging Issues on the Calder Valley line. When the structure gauging work was carried out, it was found there were clearance issues.

I wonder if Northern is still going to press on with trying to get the 170's on this route or will they just use them elsewhere instead ?

I can see the Leeds - Southport ending up with 158's. Getting 170's passed on the route will be too expensive, and I can't see 195's going on this service.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Which part of a 170 is out of gauge, and where? It could be just one tunnel. I live on the Calder Valley line and would like to see 170s but have to admit they would be better on Leeds - Nottingham or Leeds - Lincoln. However, both of these are Northern Connect routes, for which the plan is "90% new trains".

Status
Not open for further replies.