• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannyjoans

When I'm travelling on a DMU, the quieter and smoother it is, the better. Noise and vibration is not a good thing

Completely agree

I really like the sound of loud locomotives, But when it comes to DMU's and Road Vehicles, I find most of them annoying and the quieter they are the better.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingertom

Established Member
Completely agree

I really like the sound of loud locomotives, But when it comes to DMU's and Road Vehicles, I find most of them annoying and the quieter they are the better.

nothing to beat the sound of a large turbocharger spinning up when the power is applied.

The Ham

Established Member
Completely agree

It should also be noted that the more noise energy, heat energy and vibration energy the is the less energy left over for the main purpose (i.e. traction) of the engine. As such a whisper quite engine is more likely to be more efficient than one that makes a good running noise.

squizzler

Established Member
It should also be noted that the more noise energy, heat energy and vibration energy the is the less energy left over for the main purpose (i.e. traction) of the engine. As such a whisper quite engine is more likely to be more efficient than one that makes a good running noise.
In theory yes, but in practice not the case. Silencers required to make quiet engines increase the back pressure on the engine and actually reduce efficiency. Hence why the petrolheads go for noisy straight-trough exhausts: its supposed to liberate more power.

Established Member
To be honest I don't really think passengers and especially commuters give two hoots what it sounds like, as long as it runs and provides enough seats and standing room for them to board I imagine they will reasonably happy.
Sam

Couldn't agree more.

Mordac

Established Member
If they're anything like the NIR DMUs, then they will be very quiet where it counts.

Rail Blues

Just the sort of noise I hate and detest. Give me a 37 any day.

Yes and Northern's experience of using them suggest they're hugely reliable and successful at running commuter services. As the users reflect on being late for work again they are doubtlessly thinking about how enjoyable the 37s deep tractor like growl makes all the formal warnings and deducted pay for lateness worthwhile.

Buspilot

If they are as quiet as the CAF built Renfe class 599 dmu I was on last week and give as similar comfortable ride, then there can be no complaint.

Western Lord

In theory yes, but in practice not the case. Silencers required to make quiet engines increase the back pressure on the engine and actually reduce efficiency. Hence why the petrolheads go for noisy straight-trough exhausts: its supposed to liberate more power.
This reminds me of reading about Tony Vandervell and his Vanwall Grand Prix cars of the 1950's. The Vanwalls had a notably quiet exhaust note for a racing car and there is a story of Vandervell listening to the Ferraris revving their V-8 engines with each cylinder having its own megaphone exhaust and snorting " all the power is coming out of the exhaust"!

BucksBones

They look absolutely fine; nothing remarkable about them as far as I can see but that’s ok. If they’re as nice as NIR’s CAF units I expect passengers will be very happy with them.

Established Member
They're in 00 gauge already? :D
No I don't think any of the model companies are doing a 195 yet, there's a 150 in the new Northern livery so I guess will have to stick with 150's for now:lol:

There seems a certain amount of Northern Bull***t in the Rail Engineer article regarding the seats, I hope they are cleaned and maintained to a better standard than Northern's current stock.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ironing boards with the thicker contoured cushion aren't that uncomfortable, but I agree they basically lied with regard to their consultation.

One thing that looks odd is the use of black seat frames rather than the more usual off-white or mid grey, which harks back to 150/2s and looks more than a little dated.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Did they have them at the roadshow? If so, I'm sure that barely anyone found them comfortable. Also aren't these supposed to be used on routes such as Blackpool - York?

Out of interest have you sat on an ironing board with the thicker contoured base cushion? It really does make a huge difference. ScotRail have fitted them to the new (ill fated, at the moment) EMUs, and I think GWR to the Electrostars too.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Out of interest have you sat on an ironing board with the thicker contoured base cushion? It really does make a huge difference. ScotRail have fitted them to the new (ill fated, at the moment) EMUs, and I think GWR to the Electrostars too.
Would I want to? Maybe on commuter trains they would be a welcome upgrade (Example: Desiro City's) but not on something previously served by a 185 with first class available. Also that backrest looks far too narrow for my shoulders.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would I want to? Maybe on commuter trains they would be a welcome upgrade (Example: Desiro City's) but not on something previously served by a 185 with first class available. Also that backrest looks far too narrow for my shoulders.

They narrow towards the top but are higher backed than Grammer E3000s so look narrower overall. I'm not sure they are substantially narrower in the version with armrests. I find that the newer Southern Electrostars used on the WLL-WCML service give you about the same amount of width as a Class 350/1 which has the same seats as a 185 (the E3000 mentioned above).

First class is an interesting point, I'm actually slightly surprised they are Standard only.

Established Member
They narrow towards the top but are higher backed than Grammer E3000s so look narrower overall. I'm not sure they are substantially narrower in the version with armrests. I find that the newer Southern Electrostars used on the WLL-WCML service give you about the same amount of width as a Class 350/1 which has the same seats as a 185 (the E3000 mentioned above).

First class is an interesting point, I'm actually slightly surprised they are Standard only.

Why? Northern doesn't have 1st class and hasn't for years. and given Northern's capacity problems I don't see any justification for re-introducing it. Yes ok it does mean that some services that were worked by TPE to Blackpool/Barrow/Windermere loose 1st class but ITT ensured that trains with a good spec were required for those routes.

If Northern Connect proves to be really successful then there might be some justification for upgrades such as 1st or Business class and perhaps on board catering in the next franchise, but TPE is essentially Intercity Northern on the main routes that justify it.

Last edited:

Martin222002

The Finsa ironing boards fitted to the GWR 387s are the standard variety as seen on all the other 387s.

Currently the only trains in passenger service fitted with the thicker contorted cushion are those on the refurbished ScotRail 156s. As you mention they are also fitted / being fitted to ScotRails 385s as well.

Established Member
I would be interested to know the economics of these trains verses the converted 4 car HST's for GWR, ok there is the superior quality argument but that doesn't really apply with the GWR HST short sets. You have to wonder whether it would have been better for GWR to get some of these instead of the HST short sets, or even for Northern to get more of these and cascade some 158's to GWR and perhaps this is an area where the franchise system fails and the Dft's in what appears to partial but not full meddling in rolling stock procurement and usage.

TEW

Established Member
I have, and in my opinion it made very little difference. It was still unmistakably an ironing board and I found it was beginning to get uncomfortable after around 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.