• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whhistle

On Moderation
Not sure I like the window wiper.
Prefer the style in the train half off this photo.

Although still strange they went with the yellow front ends.
Surely the lights would be the new type that doesn't require yellow fronts?

Not sure I like the window wiper.
Prefer the style in the train half off this photo.

Cost and reliability. When I worked on buses years ago, they replaced most of the pantograph wipers with straight ones as they were always falling apart. Putting a vehicle out of service for something as simple as a wiper must annoy those upstairs. Most modern buses mostly have straight wipers too.

Domh245

Established Member
Although still strange they went with the yellow front ends.
Surely the lights would be the new type that doesn't require yellow fronts?

That is correct, but just because you can get rid of the yellow front, doesn't mean you have to. In the case of someone like Northern, when most of your fleet isn't permitted to have a non-yellow front end, it makes sense to keep the yellow end so that your livery is consistent across the fleet. Similarly at GWR with their IETs

Established Member
If anyone is desperate to be first, the “test track” will include a short spell on the Bucharest - Brasov Softronic open access circuit according to local sources (which may or may not be correct) so available for a few pennies of a fare.

speedy_sticks

On Moderation
If anyone is desperate to be first, the “test track” will include a short spell on the Bucharest - Brasov Softronic open access circuit according to local sources (which may or may not be correct) so available for a few pennies of a fare.

How much?

class387

Established Member
In service? If so, could this be the first time designated UK rolling stock is used in service in Europe (other than Eurostar)?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In service? If so, could this be the first time designated UK rolling stock is used in service in Europe (other than Eurostar)?
Apart from the 77s/EM2s in the Netherlands I think. Some 141s also went Dutch, but never saw service AFAIK.

Though actually if I'm including locos there's loads! Can't think of any passenger stock.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
How much?

Brasov-Bucharest is 35 RON (about £7) for a 2.5 hours run.
The 2 EMUs start/end at Craiova and run beyond Bucharest to Constanza as well as Brasov, returning to Craiova at night.
I've been on one of the Softrans EMUs and they have "ironing board" seats, also some kind of mesh in the windows which makes the view out look stippled.
This no doubt is for the external advertisement display.
The builder Softronic is a descendent of the Electroputere group which built class 56s for BR, and hold the open access licence.
http://www.softrans.ro/

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
How long before we hear cries of Northern receiving "Romanian cast-offs"?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can think of dozens of reasons why running in passenger service in Romania is likely to be no more than wibble.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There is a interesting article in Rail Engineer on the new northern trains: https://www.railengineer.uk/2018/04/03/northerns-trains-from-spain/

Thanks for the link there, interesting stuff indeed! I was particularly interested to see the cabs, and read that they are all but identical save the engine start / pantograph button. Should make for a simpler training programme for the drivers although that cab is a tad more high-tech than a Pacer's.... :D

It also sound like once production is fully ramped up there will be a steady stream of arrivals, although annoyingly by boat it seems. But nonetheless it won't be too long before we see the 195s & then 331s going into testing on live sections before everyone here plans a trip on the first 195s to enter passenger service at the end of the year (hopefully on the Leeds-Chester which will give me at least a couple of excuses to get on them).

notlob.divad

Established Member
The first 195s to enter passenger service at the end of the year (hopefully on the Leeds-Chester

That is indeed what it says is planned, however I am incredibly surprised that they will not firstly be introduced on the Manchester Airport to Liverpool via Warrington, Manchester Airport to Barrow and Windermere. It was these 3 diesel services and the Blackpool (soon to be electric) service that Northern where required at tender stage to provide rolling stock, of at least equal quality to the 185s. Whilst a temporary downgrade in rolling stock on these routes (particularly the Liverpool-Warrington-Manchester) is inevitable at the May timetable change. I would have thought Northern would want to keep that downgrade for as short a time as possible and so would introduce their newest stock on to those routes first.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
If Manchester to Preston to electrification is completed and trains are running before December, it should be back to the previous stock by then? (admittedly a big if!)

lammergeier

The drivers seat looks very comfy!
I agree. Although it's hard to tell for sure it looks like the seat fitted in Voyagers which is indeed a very comfy seat! I've said it before but that whole cab looks very well designed, I'm sure drivers will love them (assuming they aren't DOO...)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Would the DLR units in Essen count?
Forgot about those!

Nothing in the opposite direction unsurprisingly... apart from a few bits and bobs at the Nene Valley Railway.

Though there was also an ex-Budapest tram at the Transperience museum at Low Moor, along with a trolleybus which I think was from Plzeň.

Status
Not open for further replies.