• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Devil

Just adding to DJH1971 request of when the Class 195's may enter service (as opposed to the planned date that the PR department at Northern may have given out!), does anyone who is 'close' to the training know if its all going well for drivers and conductors and is on plan?
Training not even started yet. Instructor drivers not even trained up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's a good point actually.

There's also the West Midlands Trains 170s, which will are due to go off lease in a couple of years when the 196s arrive.

I agree. A change in circumstances is likely to lead to a change in requirements, it's not like we haven't been there before.

pemma

Veteran Member
There's also the West Midlands Trains 170s, which will are due to go off lease in a couple of years when the 196s arrive.

They can transfer within the original terms of the franchise agreement - given there's a requirement to add a further 36 vehicles equivalent in quality and performance to the 170s by 2022.

Established Member
They can transfer within the original terms of the franchise agreement - given there's a requirement to add a further 36 vehicles equivalent in quality and performance to the 170s by 2022.

I know, I was just pointing out they were also an option to fulfil the requirement for extra DMUs.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The Wikipedia page is saying Northern will use them on Airport - Liverpool via Warrington services, keep the 185's and give TPE 170's in return, however, the latter is uncited.
The Class 195 will instead replace the Class 156 trains on existing services from Manchester Airport to Liverpool via Warrington Central from December 2018.[24] It was previously expected they would first replace the Class 185s sub-leased from TransPennine Express on the Manchester Airport to Barrow-in-Furness route - however Northern will retain the 185s until the end of 2019 and will sub-lease Class 170s to TransPennine Express to operate an amended December 2018 timetable in a quid pro quo agreement.

Mathew S

Established Member
The Wikipedia page is saying Northern will use them on Airport - Liverpool via Warrington services, keep the 185's and give TPE 170's in return, however, the latter is uncited.
I mean, Wikipedia isn't generally the most reliable source in the world - does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
If it isn't cited then it's got just as much reliability as someone claiming it on here. The point of Wikipedia is to summarise sources which are easily linked to and can be verified.

Mathew S

Established Member
If it isn't cited then it's got just as much reliability as someone claiming it on here. The point of Wikipedia is to summarise sources which are easily linked to and can be verified.
It did link to a Rail article, but an article that didn't give any of the information that was supposedly being cited. Might have just deleted said citation... :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Has there been any suggestion that they are officially on track for a December 2018 entry into service?

If Red Devil is correct that the driver instructors haven't yet got their hands on them...

Red Devil

Has there been any suggestion that they are officially on track for a December

If Red Devil is correct that the driver instructors haven't yet got their hands on them...
Well it's November 21st now and nobody has started to train up on them.
They've only got the initial pool of instructors together and there's still a little matter of the training programme to be written off by ASLEF.
So,December roll out? Very much doubt it

Red Devil

They've only got the initial pool of instructors together and there's still a little matter of the training programme to be written off by ASLEF.
Written off!! That should be signed off,my apologies

notlob.divad

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S49544/2018/11/22/advanced

Just noticed this move on Thursday.. wonder if this could be a 195 heading to Newton Heath??

Something appears to be happening Thursday, because as well as the previously mentioned path, there are also the following late night paths with Bus replacements for last couple of normal services.

5Z02 - 2200 - Edge Hill Depot -> Earlestown http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S49518/2018/11/22/advanced

5Z03 - 0042 - Earlestown -> Liverpool (via Wigan NW and Warrington BQ) http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S49519/2018/11/23/advanced

5Z04 - 0316 - Liverpool -> Wigan (via Warrington BQ) http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S49520/2018/11/23/advanced

5Z05 - 0501 - Wigan -> Edge Hill Depot. (via St. Helens Central) http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S49521/2018/11/23/advanced

TBSchenker

2x195s went to Manchester Airport this morning via CLC. Doing ASDO testing

TPE ASDO tests were taking place on Monday night/Tuesday morning too. I thought TPE had finished with ASDO testing, unless they’re testing a modification.

Established Member
Lighting looks rather stark.

I understand from a friend at Northern they're "quite good", but I suppose that could be their personal opinion.

Based on the picture though, I think the lighting looks better than anything else in Northern's fleet.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Lighting looks rather stark. Could have done better.

Airlines and bus companies alike seem to be doing some very good stuff with LEDs. The railway seems to prefer making it like a dentist's chair.
seating looks a damn sight better than the ironing boards though,and certainly an improvement on pacers.

js1000

Northern Rail's official line on its Twitter account appears to suggest "early 2019" for new trains. All queries are being answered in that way now so I doubt we'll see either units in active service this year. I assume that means both the 195s and 331s.

https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1065263538493636608

Bornin1980s

Northern Connect is not due to start until December next year. What services would the 195s be on before then?

notlob.divad

Established Member
Northern Connect is not due to start until December next year. What services would the 195s be on before then?
Services that were run by TPE with 185s. Namely Barrow and Windermere to Manchester. And Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.