• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
I was not trying to say their should not be a thorough training procedure, but in many other industries, learning new highly technical equipment was part of the job. No need to agree with any union - we got some training, as part of the job, in normal working hours - and then used the new equipment -- some of which probably cost as much as any train at the time it was built. So I was just wondering why drivers needed to agree anything which in many industries would just be considered part of the normal working practices.

Normal working hours on the railway means you are either driving a service or sat spare. In order to learn new traction the TOC has to amend the rota in order to free up drivers to learn OR get them to learn on a rest day - the latter is often where money comes in as the TOC is making them work a day off.

Normal working hours on the railway means you are either driving a service or sat spare. In order to learn new traction the TOC has to amend the rota in order to free up drivers to learn OR get them to learn on a rest day - the latter is often where money comes in as the TOC is making them work a day off.
So this is due to another miss-step by ARN regarding rest day working?
Or have I misunderstood?

class 9

I was not trying to say their should not be a thorough training procedure, but in many other industries, learning new highly technical equipment was part of the job. No need to agree with any union - we got some training, as part of the job, in normal working hours - and then used the new equipment -- some of which probably cost as much as any train at the time it was built. So I was just wondering why drivers needed to agree anything which in many industries would just be considered part of the normal working practices.
Traction training is done in parts, 'static' which is classroom based learning the technical details/layout/fault finding etc & an actual walk round the new units, this can't be done when they are in service.
The 2nd part is the 'handling' part, basically learning to drive the thing.
Once the initial batch of trainers and Drivers have done this part, then this can be done with the trains in service.

superkev

Established Member
Can someone refresh my memory as to which depots and routes the new trains are to go to.
Also aren't new facilities being built at Newton Heath and possibly other depots. Are these complete.
K

Established Member
Can someone refresh my memory as to which depots and routes the new trains are to go to.
Also aren't new facilities being built at Newton Heath and possibly other depots. Are these complete.
K

Allerton: 15x 331/0s and 12x 331/1s.
Neville Hill: 16x 331/0s.
Newton Heath: 195s (all of them IIRC).

Llama

Established Member
Rumours that 195001 is to be named 'Aquarius' are not yet confirmed...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Aquarius will work well in multiple with Virgo but join Aquarius up with Libra and things will run less smoothly. ;)
I could understand the TPE "Nova" rolling stock having cosmic names, to match the livery.
But Northern doesn't seem to have a naming convention, beyond occasional random names and places linked to the north.
There are 12 TPE 397s, so they would fit the astrological zodiac names (although proper astronomers would have 13 with some naming variants).

Status
Not open for further replies.