• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
Similar issues will happen on some North West routes. 195s/331s, 350s, Sprinters, 319s/769s, Voyagers/Pendolinos all running round with completely different couplers. Progress eh.

Is daft I agree, but a pendo and voyager can couple mechanically. However you need a degree and patience of many saints to do it. And ideally a quiet railway (!) .Maybe it's time for NR to bite the bullet and insist on the same couplers for all stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
I'm guessing it's just to show them what a finished set should look like. So expect the Welsh units to also have interior water features. Damn, I want an interior water feature on my train now.
Good point. So they have something to work to. A shame that means that the completed unit has leaks, so all the ones they build have to have leaks as well :'(

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is daft I agree, but a pendo and voyager can couple mechanically. However you need a degree and patience of many saints to do it. And ideally a quiet railway (!) .Maybe it's time for NR to bite the bullet and insist on the same couplers for all stock.
Video on YouTube of a Voyager dragging a Pendelino through Crewe Station!
Sam

Mathew S

Established Member
I'm guessing it's just to show them what a finished set should look like. So expect the Welsh units to also have interior water features. Damn, I want an interior water feature on my train now.
So is the idea for the rest of the order that body-shells will be shipped to Newport for finishing there?

Spartacus

Established Member
Good point. So they have something to work to. A shame that means that the completed unit has leaks, so all the ones they build have to have leaks as well :'(

I wonder if it was something that got lost in translation, they heard the national emblem of Wales was a leek and so...... ;)

krus_aragon

Established Member
I wonder if it was something that got lost in translation, they heard the national emblem of Wales was a leek and so...... ;)
Which is in itself a translation mistake (apparently). A daffodil is known as a Cennin Pedr, or a St Peter's Leek, in Welsh. It's believed that a mention of wearing such a cenhinen may have been translated without the context that it was a flower, and thus the leek became associated with the Welsh.

(Seriously: a leek is a bit big to wear on your jacket!)

davyp

Which is in itself a translation mistake (apparently). A daffodil is known as a Cennin Pedr, or a St Peter's Leek, in Welsh. It's believed that a mention of wearing such a cenhinen may have been translated without the context that it was a flower, and thus the leek became associated with the Welsh.

(Seriously: a leek is a bit big to wear on your jacket!)
Max Boyce used to wear a leek, and carry around a huge leek as well!

Clip

Established Member
112 is currently north end of platform 7 at Preston if anyone local wants pics . not sure where it will be going today

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm generally impressed with the look of all the CAF units in the UK so far - the 332/333s were certainly well ahead of their time as far as appearance is concerned and the TPE fleets look stunning. The acid test will be the 196s, there is almost no gangwayed stock that's very visually appealing to most people, so will been keen to see how they fare there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm generally impressed with the look of all the CAF units in the UK so far - the 332/333s were certainly well ahead of their time as far as appearance is concerned and the TPE fleets look stunning. The acid test will be the 196s, there is almost no gangwayed stock that's very visually appealing to most people, so will been keen to see how they fare there.

I think the 350s, particularly in the LM livery, do look attractive.

Mogster

Just less bad... :lol:

I can understand the utility but compared to how good new non gangwayed stock look they do all look horrible. At 100mph the aerodynamics must be quite horrendous also.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just less bad... :lol:

I can understand the utility but compared to how good new non gangwayed stock look they do all look horrible. At 100mph the aerodynamics must be quite horrendous also.

110mph :)

They are attractive enough that they were a core part of LM's overall visual marketing approach.

Red Devil

"Training package not acceptable to ASLEF" was the circular released today.
Where we go from here I'm not sure .

InOban

Established Member
Or are the unions incapable of accepting anything that Northern propose?

Incidentally, who trains the drivers operating the trains on test?

superkev

Established Member
"Training package not acceptable to ASLEF" was the circular released today.
Where we go from here I'm not sure .
Bearing in mind the timescale of RMTs current dispute they could be parked in a siding for a while then and we have to put up with those 4 wheeled things.
K

driver_m

Established Member
Or are the unions incapable of accepting anything that Northern propose?

Incidentally, who trains the drivers operating the trains on test?

Well let's look at that.
How many new types of train have been brought into service In the last 25 years? Lots

How many times have ASLEF been party to the training package arranged with the TOC? All of them AFAIK.

How many of these fleets never entered service because of the Union refusing to train the unit. None?

So ask yourself the question, why does this keep happening? If the union is doing the same at Northern as it does everywhere else? (My union branch covers VT, Northern, TPE and even GBRf, so it's definitely not just a local level problem)

You should find the answer from what has just been eliminated..

Status
Not open for further replies.