• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First driver instructor passed out on Wednesday.... I know him

Driver training starts on the 2nd of March...

0845 and 0945 of Blackpool North....

familyguy99

IMG_20190222_155303.jpg IMG_20190222_155304.jpg

^^ Took these two picture yesterday (22nd Feb) of 195107 and 195109 park up at Newton Heath depot. When I went pass today I notice it was only 195107 that can be seen from depot and 195109 didn't look like it was at depot so wonder if it gone to Blackpool North as looking on RTT site there was this movement from Newton Heath to Blackpool North this morning.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O85523/2019/02/23/advanced

anamyd

On Moderation
Looks like 195 intimidation to me.
Looks like a sandwich with 195 bread and 142 filling! Or, the lowest class of DMU on National Rail in the middle of the highest class of DMU on National Rail :)

Jonny

Established Member
View attachment 59558 View attachment 59559

^^ Took these two picture yesterday (22nd Feb) of 195107 and 195109 park up at Newton Heath depot. When I went pass today I notice it was only 195107 that can be seen from depot and 195109 didn't look like it was at depot so wonder if it gone to Blackpool North as looking on RTT site there was this movement from Newton Heath to Blackpool North this morning.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O85523/2019/02/23/advanced

Have the 195s been 'handed over' yet?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Been reported on the Northern refurbishment thread that the flat cloth is starting to being replaced wit moquette on new refurbs, will the CAF's be fitted with it?

Grumpy

523hp 13-litre straight-6 turbo-diesel through a 6-speed, per carriage. POWEEERRR!!!
I had a close up look at one of these standing at Preston earlier this week. It certainly seemed noisy at tickover. Walking down the platform there was a 185 on the adjacent platform. This seemed slightly less noisy.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I had a close up look at one of these standing at Preston earlier this week. It certainly seemed noisy at tickover. Walking down the platform there was a 185 on the adjacent platform. This seemed slightly less noisy.
Wow, really? That's disappointing if true as the 185s (along with anything else that uses the QSK19) are the noisiest DMUs at idle by far, to the extent you can't even hear HSTs over them. I struggle to see how 195s with smaller engines and a lower idle speed could be noisier.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wow, really? That's disappointing if true as the 185s (along with anything else that uses the QSK19) are the noisiest DMUs at idle by far, to the extent you can't even hear HSTs over them. I struggle to see how 195s with smaller engines and a lower idle speed could be noisier.

185s seem not to idle smoothly but with a kind of "frump.....frump.....frump" type sound that shakes the whole unit. I guess they only fire once every <several> revolutions at idle?

samuelmorris

Established Member
185s seem not to idle smoothly but with a kind of "frump.....frump.....frump" type sound that shakes the whole unit. I guess they only fire once every <several> revolutions at idle?
Not that I'm aware of, it's probably either resonance with the body vibrating, or the superposition effect from the engines running at very slightly different speeds. On other DMUs the engines are quieter at idle (especially the tonal sound) so that effect is less pronounced.

Grumpy

It was just my impression at the time. I didn't have a meter.It could have been influenced by where they were standing and the immediate surroundings. The 185's are quiet enough inside.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It was just my impression at the time. I didn't have a meter.It could have been influenced by where they were standing and the immediate surroundings. The 185's are quiet enough inside.
Thankfully yes, I'd agree with that, largely due to the very good soundproofing the Desiro UK has. 195s don't sound too bad inside from that one video that's been posted so far (panel rattle aside).

keith1879

You do get the odd coach that does this and it is very annoying if sitting in it - however as a rule they idle smoothly. I'm speaking as a frequent traveller with no technical knowledge so no idea why or how it happens.

_toommm_

Established Member
The 185s arenta noisy inside at all - and theres pretty much always one coach where the engine is either idling or off, even when accelerating (normally one of the two driving coaches)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 185s arenta noisy inside at all - and theres pretty much always one coach where the engine is either idling or off, even when accelerating (normally one of the two driving coaches)

It's any one of the three, the software rotates them around so it gives them all the same amount of operating hours to keep overhauls in sync. They shut down completely, so if one is idling that's a fault.

keith1879

I agree that they are very quiet - even when the engine underneath is powering up the hill to Standedge. The time when it gets irritating is in a station when the engine exceptionally does what Bletchleyite so accurately describes as "Frump Frump" (!!) and the door is open. I look forward to experiencing the new class 195s although I suspect that I will have to go out of my way to do so after being a regular 185 passenger as a commuter.

Status
Not open for further replies.