• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
On Wednesday i intend to spend from 12.00-15.00 on Man Picc how many 195 can i expect to see. Thanks in advance.

Just bear in mind the 195 departures are limited to platforms 13 and 14 of course. You'll get a lot more spotters on P13 itself as it opens out to the rest of the station, but I often find P14 itself busier with more passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bovverboy

Established Member

Bovverboy

Established Member
195002 must have been moved shortly afterwards, since the 1538 Liverpool (EMR) entered P14 at 1550. There's no sign on RTT of what happened to either 195002 or 195007, but the diagram they were operating isn't going to run again until 2224.

Bovverboy

Established Member
195 129 (3 car) just passed through Sowerby bridge Huddersfield Blackpool presumably for servicing.
K

That can't be the reason, since it's due to set off back almost immediately, but as it's running late at the moment it won't have got to Blackpool by departure time.
I would guess the purpose as mileage accumulation, but I'll happily be corrected. It's scheduled to come back Copy Pit/Rochdale/Stalybridge.

Nymanic

195001 is running solo on the 1U97 Barrow-Manchester Airport. Looked unenviably busy at Piccadilly.

And I'm enjoying the dubious luxury of a tip-up seat on 195007, running the 1F90 1550 Airport-Lime Street. Standing room only, a dozen or so in each vestibule, another dozen around the toilet. Not quite crush loaded. Passengers around me are complaining about Northern's 'baby trains'...

As a sidenote: the door close issue continues. Passengers at Oxford Road were promptly shut out again as soon as the doors opened. It takes another 10 seconds or so for them to be re-released.

Cant lie, I'm starting to miss the pairs of 156s.

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
Steady on. The 156s are always unbearably cold in the winter.

That said I am becoming a bit tired of the short forming and cancellations that are still continuing. I assume the issue is they are scattering units across the region now for various stages of testing, so if a unit does fail they've few options to substitute in.

The door issue is also occurring at Lime Street, it nearly decapitated an elderly woman on Monday morning.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It was stated a while ago ASLEF had given Northern until the end of September to rectify the door issue. If that was the case it looks like ASLEF have bottled it. Whilst the removal of these units from service would have created some short-term inconvenience, in the medium to long term passengers would have benefitted.

Llama

Established Member
It was stated a while ago ASLEF had given Northern until the end of September to rectify the door issue. If that was the case it looks like ASLEF have bottled it. Whilst the removal of these units from service would have created some short-term inconvenience, in the medium to long term passengers would have benefitted.
Aslef have since accepted ASDO.

317 forever

Established Member
I plan to catch the 7.50 from Manchester Airport to Warrington Central on Saturday October 26th. I hope this journey will be a 195!

Bovverboy

Established Member

Aslef have since accepted ASDO.

That wasn't the issue, from my own recollection - the issue was doors closing of their own volition and trapping people. I wasn't aware that ASLEF had any objection, in principle, to ASDO.

Llama

Established Member
Aslef sanctioned a trial period where Asdo could be used. That trial period was extended but issues remained. There was a further one month extension, and the use of Asdo has now been accepted.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Observed something this weekend (and a couple of weekends ago in the same place) - when Class 195s arrive at Windermere they seem to come in very quick - almost Continental style "positive braking" from speed to a stand rather than the more sedate UK approach.

Why is this? Do 195s have fewer brake steps than 15x, or are some of them a bit useless?

Another slight 195 aside, has anyone noticed that the autoannouncer can't say "Burneside" (it is just left blank), and that she says "Cark in Cartmel" which isn't the name of the station (but curiously is what is on the road signs on entering the village)?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Another slight 195 aside, has anyone noticed that the autoannouncer can't say "Burneside" (it is just left blank), and that she says "Cark in Cartmel" which isn't the name of the station (but curiously is what is on the road signs on entering the village)?

When that station was opened on 1st September 1857, serving the four villages of Allithwaite, Cark-in-Cartmel, Flookburgh and Cartmel, it carried the name of Cark-in-Cartmel. In 1906, the railway station name was changed to Cark and Cartmel. Has there been another more recent change to the name of this railway station?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When that station was opened on 1st September 1857, serving the four villages of Allithwaite, Cark-in-Cartmel, Flookburgh and Cartmel, it carried the name of Cark-in-Cartmel. In 1906, the railway station name was changed to Cark and Cartmel. Has there been another more recent change to the name of this railway station?

It either gets known as just plain Cark or "Cark and Cartmel". I forget what is on the nameboards despite having used it twice this weekend! I think it's plain Cark.

Llama

Established Member
The
That can't be the reason, since it's due to set off back almost immediately, but as it's running late at the moment it won't have got to Blackpool by departure time.
I would guess the purpose as mileage accumulation, but I'll happily be corrected. It's scheduled to come back Copy Pit/Rochdale/Stalybridge.
Those Huddersfield-Blackpool & return paths are for driver practical handling.

Geeves

Established Member
Observed something this weekend (and a couple of weekends ago in the same place) - when Class 195s arrive at Windermere they seem to come in very quick - almost Continental style "positive braking" from speed to a stand rather than the more sedate UK approach.

Why is this? Do 195s have fewer brake steps than 15x, or are some of them a bit useless?

No steps at all on the 195s, its all computer controlled goodness!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In that case I'm even more baffled - it is quite impressive to watch a unit enter a terminal platform what appears to be way too fast then brake heavily but smoothly to a perfectly-positioned stop like is common in mainland Europe - but it is really not usual UK practice. So I still wonder...why?

Bovverboy

Established Member

Those Huddersfield-Blackpool & return paths are for driver practical handling.

How come they don't have a 'Z' reporting code?

fulmar

In that case I'm even more baffled - it is quite impressive to watch a unit enter a terminal platform what appears to be way too fast then brake heavily but smoothly to a perfectly-positioned stop like is common in mainland Europe - but it is really not usual UK practice. So I still wonder...why?

Windermere has a TPWS overspeed installation well before the platform, the permitted speed into the platform is 15mph and there is another overspeed installation set at 10mph about half way along the platform. No train should be travelling at more than 15mph on entering the platform and should be further slowed at the platform overspeed loops to prevent a TPWS brake demand. Most drivers will bring the speed down to well below 10mph at the platform overspeed loops to be on the safe side, so there is then a two coach length crawl at little more than walking pace to the designated stopping point.

Windermere's short dead end platform is also at the end of a steep falling gradient which has well known low adhesion issues and as yet the real world low adhesion braking performance of the 195s is still largely unknown, so braking hard at such a location at this time of year probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Llama

Established Member
How come they don't have a 'Z' reporting code?
I'm not really sure about that, as far as I know the Huddersfield paths are never used for 'test trains' (mileage accumulation mostly) - they're used for driver training practical handling, so it could be that reason but that's just a guess really. Obviously the Huddersfield path does cross a Network Rail regional boundary too (LNEC<->LNWN), although by rights you'd expect the headcodes to be 5Mxx out and 5Exx back if that was purely the reason.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
195 104 just arriving at Chester, with some kind of press event* for the launch of the new trains on the Leeds service.
The city's cohort of XX Legionaries in full Roman regalia were forming a welcoming party, making a fine sight.
Meanwhile, out of sight, Merseyrail's platform 7a is being rebuilt for their new trains - bustitution all week.

* from RTT, seems to have started and finished at Allerton and visited Ellesmere Port before doing a Chester-Earlestown round trip.

Video of the event from Cheshire Live web site here:
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/new...ws/new-100mph-trains-operate-chester-17081304
during which 195 104 was named Deva Victrix by David Brown, Northern MD.

Last edited:

fulmar

The units are definitely not doing a "2 coach crawl" as I'd expect - that's why it's noticeable.

If the unit is doing more than 10mph at the overspeed loops halfway down the platform the TPWS will intervene and bring the train to a stand. It's two coach lengths from the overspeed loops to the stopping point so the speed will certainly be below 10mph for that distance.

Activating a TPWS overspeed will get the driver in a fair bit of trouble so most drivers will ensure they are well below the set speed of 10mph in this case for those last two coach lengths.

The TPWS set up at Windermere remains the same as it was before the arrival of the 195s which means there is no realistic possibility of approaching the end of the line in a more aggressive manner than was possible with 185s, 156s or 158s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The TPWS set up at Windermere remains the same as it was before the arrival of the 195s which means there is no realistic possibility of approaching the end of the line in a more aggressive manner than was possible with 185s, 156s or 158s.

It is possible that drivers are driving rather below the TPWS profile in 15x but closer to it in 195s, perhaps?

fulmar

195s have a digital speedo (as well as analogue) giving the exact speed (supposedly) whereas 15x units only have analogue speedos with 5mph intervals, but even so any difference in speed at the mid platform overspeed loops isn't likely to be huge. The speed still needs to be below 10mph regardless of traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.