• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
It says on RTT "This service was cancelled between Warrington Bank Quay and Chester due to a problem with the doors (M7)."

Not sure if the door issue happened at Bradford or if they've just put that when there was another issue and it was just turned round at Warrington to make up the lost time. If it is the doors then it's obviously something they have no idea how to solve as it's been going on for over 3 months now.

When I got off it at Victoria the guard was in deep conversation with a colleague or two and kept pointing at the back of the train (ie would have been the front into Bradford). The only bit I clearly overheard was “and I just don’t know why”

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think they're alright personally.

They are the "contoured ironing board" also used by ScotRail (not the same thin, flat version used on e.g. Class 700s). Personally I think they are good, they are probably one of my favourite types of seat. The frame is the same as the less comfortable version but the cushion is very different.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Service collapsing on the Calder Valley line at the moment - 195111 is sat in platform 1 at Victoria having been failed when it could not operste the 1458 to ﹰLeeds - 195107 was in platform 2 shown as DMIC - 195118 has turned round on the 1420 Chester to Leeds to go back to Chester after the unit on 1338 Leeds to Chester terminated at Bradford.

195111 now running fast to Bradford Interchange 30 minutes late.

Last edited:

Bovverboy

Established Member
I am in the Manchester area next week and hope to do a bit of photography so which is best to see 195s Piccadilly or Victoria?

Piccadilly platforms 13/14 is a good bet.

I quite agree, if it's expressly photography you're after, then Piccadilly beats Victoria hands down. Platforms 13/14 (which are the only ones the 195s use) are for the most part in unimpeded sunlight. Platforms 3/4 at Victoria (used by the Leeds - Chester/Ellesmere Port trains) are largely under cover, and, even at the extremities, there are obstacles, such as footbridges, to contend with. Platform 2 (used by the ex-Leeds terminators) isn't nearly so bad.
The only way Victoria would score would be if you were concerned for photographing different units, since, at Piccadilly, one unit can go to the Airport and back in only a scheduled forty-seven minutes, and in respect of the Liverpool service, a complete round trip takes only three hours. Eventually you would see more different units at Piccadilly than Victoria, but it would take a lot longer to do so.

Mollman

Established Member
A 195/1 has around 10 fewer seats than a 158+153 combo however I think the layout of the 195 creates the impression there's fewer seats than they are, however fingers crossed there's less chance of a 2 car unit turning up now!
A 158/153 combo has 3 more toilets too! I've yet to travel on a 195 where the toilet is working - not looking forward to Preston to Leeds on one if that level of reliability is maintained.

Established Member
A friend of mine from the Republic of Ireland came over last weekend, and when I asked him what he thought of the 195s he said he prefers them to NIR's CAF units.

thejuggler

I had the opportunity to have my first trip on a 195 about an hour ago. As I needed to be in Leeds before 5pm I took the 158 service instead!

js1000

Bit of a mare today on the 195 front both sides of the Pennines

17:25 Liverpool to Manchester Airport cancelled at Oxford Road due to problem with doors (M7)

18:16 Liverpool to Manchester Airport cancelled at Oxford Road due to train fault (M8). Train appeared to be stationary at Cornbrook Junction for almost half an hour.

northernchris

Established Member
A 158/153 combo has 3 more toilets too! I've yet to travel on a 195 where the toilet is working - not looking forward to Preston to Leeds on one if that level of reliability is maintained.

There is that too! I'm fairly sure the 195 I was on yesterday had a working toilet though

M1544

Calder valley morning service was wrecked today when a 195 had trouble at both Pudsey and Bramley on it way to Leeds in the morning peak with a queue of trains building up behind. Other units also had issues rest of day. Many 195s seemed to loose time enroute. Hope the reliability improves quick. Punctuality must have really dipped this week compared to last on the Calder Valley.

Boysteve

18:16 Liverpool to Manchester Airport cancelled at Oxford Road due to train fault (M8). Train appeared to be stationary at Cornbrook Junction for almost half an hour.

I am not sure that reason code given is correct, this train spent 20 minutes at red signal outside my apartment! The preceding Northern stopper and also 1751 EMR Liverpool to Norwich were also affected around the same time. My feeling is Castlefield corridor congestion in all three cases with the airport service then canned at Oxford Road in order to return to Liverpool on time.

Llama

Established Member
Yes driver training at the same locations is continuing in the same way despite some of the units hitherto used for training now being used in passenger service.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Calder valley morning service was wrecked today when a 195 had trouble at both Pudsey and Bramley on it way to Leeds in the morning peak with a queue of trains building up behind. Other units also had issues rest of day. Many 195s seemed to loose time enroute. Hope the reliability improves quick. Punctuality must have really dipped this week compared to last on the Calder Valley.

We were at Manchester Victoria station yesterday afternoon and I am sure that two of the Class 195 units were in bay platforms 1 and 2.

thejuggler

Not a good start to the day for the 195s. 05.45 Hebden Bridge to Leeds started 25 late and lost 8 minutes on the trip.

Is this the service which stopped at Bramley and all passengers had to decamp?
That's the badger. Never got off at Bramley before.
Hope I never have to again!
They turfed us off to reset things, but never told us it was going to leave us behind - it just set off! Nearly caught my feet with the steps, I was standing close and no-one warned us. Glad I wasn't leaning against it...

chrissawer

Not a good start to the day for the 195s. 05.45 Hebden Bridge to Leeds started 25 late and lost 8 minutes on the trip.

And the 06.17 Leeds to Manchester Victoria cancelled due to a problem with the traction equipment.

The following train (06.21 Leeds to Southport) turned up as a two coach pacer and has predictably left people behind at Smithy Bridge.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's the badger. Never got off at Bramley before. Hope I never have to again! They turfed us off to reset things, but never told us it was going to leave us behind - it just set off! Nearly caught my feet with the steps, I was standing close and no-one warned us. Glad I wasn't leaning against it...

Glad to hear you had the sense not to do that. Remember what happened in Liverpool quite some time ago.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Using the Calder Valley tonight and have a bus connection so I really hope they don't screw up the timetable!

bnsf734

I was on a Northern £10 rover yesterday and left Leeds on 195107 on the 1218 to Manchester Victoria on time. All was well until the reversal at Bradford Interchange when the Guard announced problems with the doors. A few minutes passed and we left 9 minutes late. Another 7 minutes lost at Halifax then the train was terminated at Hebden Bridge where we arrived 21 late. Even after all the passengers were tipped off the train sat there for a few minutes with the following Chester train stopped at the signal behind. The empty train eventually left at 1334 to run to Manchester Victoria and the Chester train left about 7 minutes late. Luckily our tightish connection at Victoria was also late!

Llama

Established Member
They turfed us off to reset things, but never told us it was going to leave us behind - it just set off! Nearly caught my feet with the steps, I was standing close and no-one warned us. Glad I wasn't leaning against it...
Yes I heard about that farce. Not good. Down to both equipment and training. And embarrassing the way it was dealt with. One poor guy left his bike on the train from what I heard.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

That really is unforgivable, what a shambles. Events like that are enough to put you off travelling by train ever again.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That really is unforgivable, what a shambles. Events like that are enough to put you off travelling by train ever again.

It sounds like a serious safety incident if nothing else - a train departing without the proper dispatch procedure being carried out and the dispatch corridor being ensured as clear.

superkev

Established Member
The 9.38 Leeds Chester was 158 872 this morning due the the incoming 195 from Man vic being cancelled.
Sad that the new trains despite all the months (or years) of acceptance testing and staff training are having so many issues. I suppose if you buy the cheapest you get the cheapest.
Perhaps Siemens, Hitachi or Stradler flirts would have been better.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.