• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama

Established Member
All the DIs need a significant amount of road learning (varies but generally Crewe-Carnforth and several depots and off-routes) as well as the full traction course themselves, before they can do any courses including the practical handling, with the hundreds of drivers they will be training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From Rail Technology Magazine online today:
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...of-trains-on-cumbrian-rail-routes-this-summer
This refers to introduction of new trains on both Barrow in Furness and Windermere lines first.

This:

The first of three marketing campaigns will be launched next month ahead of Easter and officials promised there would be 11 direct trains a day to Manchester Airport from Barrow and Windermere.

which Northern keep spouting, while technically factual, is wilfully misleading. I hope the ASA ban their advertisement if it contains that line.

It should really say Barrow or Windermere. Of course, personally I would favour "and" by way of an hourly portion worked service.

Red Devil

All the DIs need a significant amount of road learning (varies but generally Crewe-Carnforth and several depots and off-routes) as well as the full traction course themselves, before they can do any courses including the practical handling, with the hundreds of drivers they will be training.
This is in the process of getting done. Lime St and Wigan men more advanced than the Manchester men

AMD

This is in the process of getting done. Lime St and Wigan men more advanced than the Manchester men

Training hasn't started for Wigan depot. We're having bets as to whether the 769 or 195 training will start first :lol:

Mathew S

Established Member
Because the 2x185's go back to TPE then. The 195's are to replace them. Massive headache fleet wise if they're not in service by then.
No, sorry, I should have been more specific. I understand that that is what's planned. What I meant was why do the 185s go back then and not in May when the TT changes?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Because TPE want them back
I believe the 185 handovers from/to TPE normally take place at Manchester Airport, to form the 0542 departure to Preston and following the 2335 arrival from Preston. When 195s take over these diagrams under the current timetable, will there have to be ECS workings between Newton Heath or Allerton and the Airport?

scrapy

Established Member
I believe the 185 handovers from/to TPE normally take place at Manchester Airport, to form the 0542 departure to Preston and following the 2335 arrival from Preston. When 195s take over these diagrams under the current timetable, will there have to be ECS workings between Newton Heath or Allerton and the Airport?
It's quite likely. Although I suppose it's possible for the 331s to work a Liverpool to Blackpool in each direction to swap over. I've also heard the one of the early Preston to Barrows in a morning will be started back from Wigan with the 195 coming empty from Allerton although this may be December.

scrapy

Established Member
It's quite likely. Although I suppose it's possible for the 331s to work a Liverpool to Blackpool in each direction to swap over. I've also heard the one of the early Preston to Barrows in a morning will be started back from Wigan with the 195 coming empty from Allerton/Liverpool after working Liverpool to Man Airport previous day although this may be December.

anamyd

On Moderation
A one car 195 or 331 is stabled at the New CAF factory in Newport.
Production has started at CAF Llanwern...? If so I'm very underwhelmed by the lack of articles or press releases saying anything to the effect of "the new CAF factory in South Wales has now opened and product builds have started" :-/

ATW158Xpress

Production has started at CAF Llanwern...? If so I'm very underwhelmed by the lack of articles or press releases saying anything to the effect of "the new CAF factory in South Wales has now opened and product builds have started" :-/
Is only a half unit outside maybe it’s a staff training for factory assembly workers. Only time will tell as it might appear in Welsh news that if production has started

Philip

On Moderation
Are the 195s going to be route-cleared on the Bolton and Chorley lines? If so are there any booked 195 passenger workings planned through Bolton?

Mollman

Established Member
Are the 195s going to be route-cleared on the Bolton and Chorley lines? If so are there any booked 195 passenger workings planned through Bolton?

I'd expect them to be as they are more or less the same as a 331 which will be on Man Apt - Blackpool workings. Regular 195s will depend on which route the Manchester - Cumbria services will take.

Geeves

Established Member
Driver instructor training at Victoria has recently started so its a move in the right direction at least.

I am wondering if the new fleet will have some kind of adaptor stored on board so at least what ever is behind i can push or pull it out of the way if needs be, we will see.

Llama

Established Member
Adaptor couplings are pretty much in the "forgotten relics" bin.

Even so, and even though they have been touted/marketed as very similar, 195s and 331s can't even couple with each other other than mechanically (max 5mph to clear the line, no brake continuity available). They aren't electrically compatible with each other in any way.

There will be some pretty spectacular job-stopping failures if these units have problems.

samuelmorris

Established Member

Even so, and even though they have been touted/marketed as very similar, 195s and 331s can't even couple with each other other than mechanically (max 5mph to clear the line, no brake continuity available). They aren't electrically compatible with each other in any way.
That seems really bizarre given they were explicitly chosen for commonality purposes - I know that's from a maintenance point of view, but I just don't see any reason to design that functionality out.

Llama

Established Member
It is likely that the main intent in the commonality was for training and parts, not operational convenience, despite the comments like "the only difference in the cab is that the engine start button is the pan up button" which is nonsense.

superkev

Established Member

There will be some pretty spectacular job-stopping failures if these units have problems.
The 321 and 322 units used on the Aire Valley are actually worse if there's a failure as they have different couplings to a 333. I believe there is some sort of emergency coupling bar so a failed unit can be dragged or pushed after its brakes are deactivated. Presumably a 331 could at least mechanically couple to a 333.
K

The 321 and 322 units used on the Aire Valley are actually worse if there's a failure as they have different couplings to a 333. I believe there is some sort of emergency coupling bar so a failed unit can be dragged or pushed after its brakes are deactivated. Presumably a 331 could at least mechanically couple to a 333.
K

333 won’t be able to mechanically couple to a 331. 333s are Scharfenberg Type 10s, 331s are Dellner 12s.

Llama

Established Member
Similar issues will happen on some North West routes. 195s/331s, 350s, Sprinters, 319s/769s, Voyagers/Pendolinos all running round with completely different couplers. Progress eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.