• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
I agree that they are very quiet - even when the engine underneath is powering up the hill to Standedge. The time when it gets irritating is in a station when the engine exceptionally does what Bletchleyite so accurately describes as "Frump Frump" (!!) and the door is open. I look forward to experiencing the new class 195s although I suspect that I will have to go out of my way to do so after being a regular 185 passenger as a commuter.
could the "Frump Frump" 185 idle be the engines "hunting" (as a FTPE employee explained on a forum)...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
I assume the frump frump is the engine revving at stations, or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Plethora

You do get the odd coach that does this and it is very annoying if sitting in it - however as a rule they idle smoothly. I'm speaking as a frequent traveller with no technical knowledge so no idea why or how it happens.

Caveated as coming from an enthusiast, but personally I find it endearing. They are overpowered brutish vehicles. Noisier idling should surely be expected as a result!

Notwithstanding the obvious efficiency issues I won't be disappointed if the 195s end up being similar.

Red Devil

As of yesterday all CAF units pulled from mainline running, this includes TPE units as well as Northern.
Problem with intermediary coupler,the coupler between the coaches, identified.
No timescale given for when they'll be back

PR1Berske

Established Member
As of yesterday all CAF units pulled from mainline running, this includes TPE units as well as Northern.
I saw a Northern 195 chugging through Preston yesterday, and one at a signal just outside Wigan. When did this mass pulling happen?

Llama

Established Member
Yes, it isn't as simple as just 'loose fasteners' though. I can't divulge on here, it would be a bit commercially sensitive.

Mathew S

Established Member
I've spoken to TPE this morning, who have said that they, "can confirm that [their] trains are still undergoing testing so this isn’t the case." If someone has direct knowledge to contradict that, I for one would love to hear about it (anonymously, on my DMs, if needs be).
Still looking into the Northern side of things but will try to update as and when.

Chris217

According to RTT
both 195 test train to and from Preston
and
The 68 hauled set
Carlisle to Manchester are running today
through Warrington Bank Quay

_toommm_

Established Member
According to RTT
both 195 test train to and from Preston
and
The 68 hauled set
Carlisle to Manchester are running today
through Warrington Bank Quay

Are you sure it's running from Carlisle? I can't see any paths that have been activated and/or used.

evoluzione

I've spoken to TPE this morning, who have said that they, "can confirm that [their] trains are still undergoing testing so this isn’t the case." If someone has direct knowledge to contradict that, I for one would love to hear about it (anonymously, on my DMs, if needs be).
Still looking into the Northern side of things but will try to update as and when.

On our internal website this morning.

All driver training and testing currently suspended until a fix is found.

Mathew S

Established Member
On our internal website this morning.

All driver training and testing currently suspended until a fix is found.
Ta :)
I imagine that word had yet to make it to my contact by the time I spoke to them.

On the Northern front, did a bit of research on my lunch break. Their line is
A spokesman for Northern said:
“Over recent weeks, we have been putting our brand new trains through their testing programme before bringing them into service for customers during 2019.
“We have also been training our drivers on the new trains. During the testing, we identified a small mechanical design issue that requires a fix before we resume the testing and driver training. We are already working on the solution and will be back on track with our testing and training soon.
“During 2019, our customers will see new and refurbished trains across our network. These trains - along with improvements in stations and services - will provide a much better experience for our customers."

Llama

Established Member
The TPE stock have shorter vehicle lengths and there are also, I assume, enough differences in the dimensions of the coupler shanks and/or the vehicle headstocks, that they are unaffected by this issue.

Chris217

Are we still hoping for introduction
of 195,331,mk5 hauled sets for the May timetable?
Or will this delay introduction further.
Any updates on what is in the UK awaiting trafic?

hwl

Established Member
Prossibly would have been cheaper to buy in from Dellner / Voith as everyone else does than for CAF to make them in house if there are big issues...

Philip

On Moderation
Just a thought, but would it be better for Northern to use 195s for the Alderley Edge to Wigan/Southport service? The higher speed and better acceleration than Sprinters/319 bi-modes would be useful for both the frequent stopping nature of the service, and the high-speed sections of track between Alderley and Bolton. A handful of extra 158 diagrams on the Calder Valley (5-6?) and subsequent stock re-shuffling should make this possible, without much of a drop in quality in terms of 158s replacing 195s. The commuter layout of the CAFs would be of use too for Alderley to Wigan.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just a thought, but would it be better for Northern to use 195s for the Alderley Edge to Wigan/Southport service? The higher speed and better acceleration than Sprinters/319 bi-modes would be useful for both the frequent stopping nature of the service, and the high-speed sections of track between Alderley and Bolton. A handful of extra 158 diagrams on the Calder Valley (5-6?) and subsequent stock re-shuffling should make this possible, without much of a drop in quality in terms of 158s replacing 195s. The commuter layout of the CAFs would be of use too for Alderley to Wigan.

The 195s are ideally suited for local stopping services - the CLC is the best example. Tarted up 158s and 170s would have been better for Northern Connect.

New units should have been ordered for a "Manchester S-Bahn", not regional expresses.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The 195s are ideally suited for local stopping services - the CLC is the best example. Tarted up 158s and 170s would have been better for Northern Connect.

New units should have been ordered for a "Manchester S-Bahn", not regional expresses.

Not the Manchester S-Bahn again! I'm sure the Magical Manchester Mayor Money Tree can be shaken to give them not only the most extensive light railway in the North, but an S, U and even Z Hahn if Greater Manchester so wishes. But in the meantime if you don't mind Northern can spread new units across all of its network, not just Manchester...

Clip

Established Member
So that woulexplain why there's a few parked up at Blackpool north sidings then

Status
Not open for further replies.