• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester1

Established Member
Some of the Pacers ought to have been cascaded out by the 319s though, and haven't been, so I wonder exactly what the plan is. Both in vehicle count but also total metre-length, the 195s do not fully replace the Pacers, and the 331s basically just replace the existing electric stock, so what's the plan?

As far as I can see, Pacers will very much still be operating after 2020 - unless of course Northern wish to repeat the level of cancellations from May 2018, albeit for different reasons.

Northern have received nearly 50 cascaded DMUs. PRM work should be finished which means Northern should have much better fleet utilisation next year. The full effect of Manchester to Preston electrification has not kicked in since the timetable change because the 319s have had a run of problems meaning DMUs have covered. I think there are limitations caused by inadequate power supply and they will be resolved this summer. 331s will run the Northern Connect Blackpool - Manchester Airport service in addition to replacing EMUs east of the Pennines. The 8 x 769s should hopefully be in service and they have a similar number of seats to 5 pacer coaches.

So to answer your question, Northerns DMU plan has always been overcrowding in 2020, and thats what we are heading for next year, although in slightly better trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boysteve

Liverpool-Manchester Airport via Warrington springs to mind for early 195 services.

Do we trust Northern to keep 195s for Connect services or will they be subject to the random unit generator? My understanding was that when they were given the former TPEx fast path on the Warrington Central CLC line it was supposed to be operated by 'high quality stock' to replace the 185s, this was going to be 4 car 156s which if clean are not too bad. However the reality is not quite this. Sometimes the airport services are 4 car pacers whilst the stoppers have the 156s, even though the diagrams overlap and could be swapped at Liverpool Lime Street.
Today there are an unusually number of 156s on the stoppers with some airports 150+156.

Interestingly the 22:24 Liverpool to MAN airport service has 6 cars tonight!

anamyd

On Moderation
Do we trust Northern to keep 195s for Connect services or will they be subject to the random unit generator? My understanding was that when they were given the former TPEx fast path on the Warrington Central CLC line it was supposed to be operated by 'high quality stock' to replace the 185s, this was going to be 4 car 156s which if clean are not too bad. However the reality is not quite this. Sometimes the airport services are 4 car pacers whilst the stoppers have the 156s, even though the diagrams overlap and could be swapped at Liverpool Lime Street.
Today there are an unusually number of 156s on the stoppers with some airports 150+156.

Interestingly the 22:24 Liverpool to MAN airport service has 6 cars tonight!
A 6 car Northern service?! woah!!!

morgainelive

Looks like the new diesel trains are out and about for testing didn't get a pic sorry but we're out on the Barrow branch and saw one passing Cark around 09.30 First time in 20 years it's lovely

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Looking forward to the carnage on Airport - Blackpool services with totally insufficient luggage space. Commuter trains on express services, nothing changes.

Mathew S

Established Member
Looking forward to the carnage on Airport - Blackpool services with totally insufficient luggage space. Commuter trains on express services, nothing changes.
Blackpool - Manchester Airport is a major commuter route, though. The fact that the trains extend to the airport is, from the point of view of the majority who use those services every day, incidental.

morgainelive

I mean first time in 20 years since I've been up here it's lovely weather not great but train was only 2 carriages as standard and pretty busy all day through especially Whitehaven onwards but the nicest part was Arnside to Whitehaven lovely stretch all the way

Last edited:

Andy Walker

Blackpool - Manchester Airport is a major commuter route, though. The fact that the trains extend to the airport is, from the point of view of the majority who use those services every day, incidental.

I use that commuter route almost daily, and holiday luggage storage is a real issue with the carriages being as crammed as they are already

ed1971

I saw a 195 passing through Hindley towards Wigan yesterday at around 9:45am. I don't know the number of the unit.

js1000

I use that commuter route almost daily, and holiday luggage storage is a real issue with the carriages being as crammed as they are already
It's a problem however the 195/331s cannot be any worse than the 319s which are completely ill-suited to Northern Connect services to/from Manchester Airport.

Mathew S

Established Member
It's a problem however the 195/331s cannot be any worse than the 319s which are completely ill-suited to Northern Connect services to/from Manchester Airport.
319s won't be operating any Northern Connect services (and aren't now, since none are running yet).

Geeves

Established Member
The training was pencilled in to be a week, I am not sure if it is still the case, certainly its at least 5 days combined driving and classroom. The controls are totally different to anything that Northern currently operate having no notches for a start.

Llama

Established Member
Training course is seven days for 195s, a further two days for 331s, per driver.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this is a Traction & Rolling Stock discussion about the construction and introduction of Class 195 trains.

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, please use an alternative thread (if there is one) or create one (if there isn't). Thanks :)

Rob F

Three coaches of a new CAF train were heading northbound up the M5 in the Gloucester area yesterday morning.

ed1971

Was off to Wigan Wallgate to begin training drivers there from Monday

As I understand it, 195s are not being scheduled to run services between Manchester and Wigan Wallgate, so why are Wigan Wallgate crews being trained on them at this stage?

AMD

As I understand it, 195s are not being scheduled to run services between Manchester and Wigan Wallgate, so why are Wigan Wallgate crews being trained on them at this stage?

Because Wallgate traincrew sign Barrow to Preston and Manchester Airport, which will be one of the first routes getting the 195s.

Status
Not open for further replies.