• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkev

Established Member
Are you sure it wasn't a 6-car set, i.e. 2x195/1? There haven't been any reports of 195/0s doing training runs east of the Pennines, and to create an 8-car set you'd need 2x195/1+1x195/0, or 4x195/0. A double 195/1 is still quite a big train.
Prob two 3 cars. Was going fast.
K

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfowkes

There was a 3-car unit leaving Nottingham this morning (5Z52 I think). For a fleeting happy moment I thought I'd be getting on it to work, but the Leeds service was a sprinter as usual.

Established Member
Prob been reported on here already, but the PIS just announced this 195 is longer than Preston station.

geoffk

Established Member
The 195s sometimes make an announcement that the train is longer than the platform, and to check which doors will be openable. It also has a habit of doing it at stations where it isn't needed...
Yes, this happened at one of the Airport line stations in the first week of operation.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
The 195s sometimes make an announcement that the train is longer than the platform, and to check which doors will be openable. It also has a habit of doing it at stations where it isn't needed...

Are the 195s working better now? Fewer reports on here of door problems or is it just that we've stopped mentioning them on here?

js1000

It did this when we passed Mauldeth Road (southbound) on a 3 carriage train the other day. Cue (unnecessary) mass panic on an already busy train! :D

Bovverboy

Established Member
Are the 195s working better now? Fewer reports on here of door problems or is it just that we've stopped mentioning them on here?

Cancellations due to 'a problem with the doors', or 'a problem at the depot', do seem to be very much reduced compared to the recent past.

CHAPS2034

195001 was by itself on the 1116 LIV-MIA today. As the EMT norwich trains were on strike the service was wedged with standing room only from LIV.

Caught this from Piccadilly to Oxford Rd on its return. My first 195 trip! Similarly wedged. Abandoned ship at Oxford Rd and caught the following 319 to Liverpool with plenty of space.

On the 195, the "door not in use" light came on between Picc and Oxford Rd. Luckily this went out when the door open buttons were activated as getting down to the next door was nigh-on impossible.

Llama

Established Member
The 'door not in service' lights will cause confusion with passengers on these units as they light up on perfectly operational doors under normal working.

PR1Berske

Established Member
The 'door not in service' lights will cause confusion with passengers on these units as they light up on perfectly operational doors under normal working.
I used over from Oxenholme to Kendal. The "door not in service" light came on to doors as the train pulled into Kendal. I thought that was just indicating which side of the train wasn't platform facing.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A 195 was parked up in Wigan NW P3 this morning.
The passengers on the full and standing single Pacer on the 0936 Liverpool-Blackpool (normally a 319) were not impressed.
They would have been even more irritated if they had known a 331 was following them on an Edge Hill-Preston ECS run.
To rub salt into the wound, the next northbound train was the Manchester-Barrow 195.
This is normally turned slow line at Balshaw Lane to follow the Blackpool 319, but it sailed past on the fast for an earlier arrival at Preston.

Polarbear

Established Member
Had my first run on a 195 this afternoon, and I was quite impressed.

16:09 Piccadilly to Lime St was busy but not full. Air con worked & legroom ok at airline style seat. They’re quite quick off the mark for a DMU too.

Staffordian

Had my first run on a 195 this afternoon, and I was quite impressed.

16:09 Piccadilly to Lime St was busy but not full. Air con worked & legroom ok at airline style seat. They’re quite quick off the mark for a DMU too.
Good to hear that the air con worked OK, as I presume temperature will have been in the high 20’s and dodgy air con the last thing you need.

Neptune

Established Member
195’s will start to appear on services on the east from w/c 20/10/19. They will be used on Leeds - Chester diagrams which interwork with the Leeds - Man Vic fast service (xx18 from Leeds and xx58 from Man Vic) alongside the odd 156 and 158. They will also work on all York - Blackpool North services which interwork with the Leeds - York via Garforth stoppers. Also noted is one trip around the Harrogate loop on Sunday’s and the last Leeds - Knottingley via Wakefield service SX although this is subject to change as these routes aren’t touted for clearance trials for them.

This will mean a cascade of 15x units allowing for the commencement of serious 142 withdrawals to take place.

195’s will start to appear on services on the east from w/c 20/10/19. They will be used on Leeds - Chester diagrams which interwork with the Leeds - Man Vic fast service (xx18 from Leeds and xx58 from Man Vic) alongside the odd 156 and 158. They will also work on all York - Blackpool North services which interwork with the Leeds - York via Garforth stoppers. Also noted is one trip around the Harrogate loop on Sunday’s and the last Leeds - Knottingley via Wakefield service SX although this is subject to change as these routes aren’t touted for clearance trials for them.

This will mean a cascade of 15x units allowing for the commencement of serious 142 withdrawals to take place.

CTR - LDS Start 21/10 (But subject very likely to delay)
Everything else you mention won’t be till Mid/End November.

331s SHOULD start on LIV-BPN replacing 319s in full 9th September also.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Does this mean we are looking at November or even December before there are serious inroads into the Pacers? If so it is looking likely there will be a number of 142s trundling around next year to keep the already reported 144s company.

Does this mean we are looking at November or even December before there are serious inroads into the Pacers? If so it is looking likely there will be a number of 142s trundling around next year to keep the already reported 144s company.

Yes. They’ll pretty much be staying till the very death.

Neptune

Established Member
CTR - LDS Start 21/10 (But subject very likely to delay)
Everything else you mention won’t be till Mid/End November.

331s SHOULD start on LIV-BPN replacing 319s in full 9th September also.

They are all diagrammed from 20/10/19. Whether the units are ready and crews trained is another story altogether.

Paul_10

I have to say the downside to these trains are the high pitch squeels under breaking, you would think a modern train would not sound like that, I bet its even more horrendous in underground stations although thankfully when they are idle, they dont sound anything as bad as the 180s.

Love the sound when they move away and the acceleration is really impressive.

I understand why Northern have ordered 2 cars of these units as there still be lines in 20 to 30 years time where 2 cars will be enough but of course they might be elsewhere in the UK by then though!

Status
Not open for further replies.