• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
Are there any particular reasons why introduction was on a Monday, rather than Sunday? From an ignorant point of view, surely you’d want to have first revenue-earning service on a day where the timetable is quieter, and recovery might be easier.
From a synics point of view, managers and directors like to be around to take the credit when good news stories happen. Managers and directors don't like working Sundays.

They also probably want maximum publicity which they won't get on a Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Seat reservation screens are going to be a bit difficult to see for some. Are these even going to be used on Northern Connect services?

In fairness, that may just be a design feature to "futureproof" the units, i.e. it gives them a potential use on other routes, even if it's not going to be much use in the first five years of use.

I'd rather have trains built with features that aren't necessary in the short term, but will allow them to be cascaded onto other routes in the medium/long term, than what we've done over the past few years when building trains that only really had one use (e.g. the lardy 185s had decent luggage space and were good at climbing hills, which is handy when you want a train capable of getting over the Pennines to Manchester Airport, but limits their use if they are replaced by more modern stock)

Great trip this morning. What an upgrade. They are incomparable to anything Northern has. Very spacious. Wasn't particularly busy but can't see that lasting for long. A few teething problems but to be expected.

Genuine question, but have you been on the "white" 170s yet? (I know that these are generally east of the Pennines though)

My benchmark for the 195s is how they'd compare to a common-or-garden post-privatisation DMU (170/171/172/175/185), but I suspect that the benchmark for a lot of passengers will be against the trains they directly replace in the short term (e.g. 158s). If you're used to narrow doors at the ends of trains for your daily commute then a 195 will be transformational, of course, so they'll probably be popular for the average passenger in the short term.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My benchmark for the 195s is how they'd compare to a common-or-garden post-privatisation DMU (170/171/172/175/185), but I suspect that the benchmark for a lot of passengers will be against the trains they directly replace in the short term (e.g. 158s). If you're used to narrow doors at the ends of trains for your daily commute then a 195 will be transformational, of course, so they'll probably be popular for the average passenger in the short term.

It'll be interesting to compare one (and see how others compare them) with a Northern Connect-spec 158, though, which is basically the same interior but with end doors. I've been on one and quite liked it, particularly in terms of window alignment being near 100% and legroom being excellent, though the actual job is quite rough and cheap (e.g. a lot of visible overspray).

td97

Established Member
Are the power points:
  • USB or 3-pin?
  • 1 per seat or 1 per seat pair?
TIA

Jamesrob637

Established Member
All sounds positive for my 09:37 from East Didsbury to Lancaster a week today; glad I didn't go for it today though as it would've scuppered my whole day's itinerary!

Chris217

195120 and 102 are on the
1516 Manchester Airport service
From Liverpool Lime Street.I am on the train atm.
It has been delayed at the platform for some reason.

Mathew S

Established Member
Okay, I'm on 195118 at the moment, doing Picc - Man Air - Wigan NW. So, some thoughts:
  • Fantastic seats. Just the right size and shape, and the right height.
  • Air conditioning okay, but did seem to be a bit on the warm side. We'll see over the summer I guess.
  • Seat layout is good. Most seats get a window view, and there seemed ample luggage space. With little alcoves next to the doors.
  • A lot of space is taken up by the accessible lol and associated wheelchair area. Seating capacity on the 2-car sets isn't going to be great.
  • Love the wide gangway between the carriages, feels very modern.
  • Excellent lighting, bright but not too bright.
  • Plug sockets, while initially seeming in an odd place, I think will work. Consistent wherever you sit and proper 3-pin rather than USB.
  • Nice big windows.
  • Unit I traveled on, even on day one, was dirty, with litter scattered around, and some of the windows were filthy. The litter bins need to be more obvious and trains need to be cleaned, or at least rubbish picked up, after every single journey.
  • Lots of noise from the wheels on the track, but you don't feel it through the seat. The ride is firm, but comfortable, and I'd have no issue with these units for a long journey.
  • Breaks seemed a bit snatchy, hopefully they'll wear in a bit.
  • Carriages on three car units are A, B, and D. Presumably so that when seat reservations start, it won't matter whether it's a 2-car unit (A & B), 3 car, or 4 car 331 (ABCD).
Overall, very very impressed and an enormous step up from anything that Northern have provided before. Still, compared to pre-May 2018, a step down from the TPE 350/4 units, but as long as the prove reliable, and are well maintained and cleaned, I think they'll be fab.

geoffk

Established Member
No-one has yet commented on the lack of doors between carriages - a first in the north surely, but I know London Overground units are like this. It could improve personal security but is heat going to be lost through the gangway connections in the winter months? My journey was from Manchester to the airport and back. The driver said it was good to drive and the only issue was getting the doors to stay open when I got off at Oxford Road.

Foggycorner

I caught the ex 07:25 from the airport at Oxford Rd this morning all the way to Barrow, unit 195116
Seating great even on the long trip to Barrow
Large windows good light and airy plenty of space for luggage on overhead racks which are wider and lower than normal
space between the seat backs of back to back pairs and also room under the seats for larger cases
and there is room in the door spaces on one side of the doors which also have a tip up seat fitted
door controls easy to use big green button for open and red for close which light up when ready to use,with a door out of use light between them which seemed to confuse a few people
seat reservations not going to be used for at least 18 months according to the guard I chatted to
All in all impressed by the new units

td97

Established Member
Unit I traveled on, even on day one, was dirty, with litter scattered around, and some of the windows were filthy. The litter bins need to be more obvious and trains need to be cleaned, or at least rubbish picked up, after every single journey.
Regarding cleanliness, do Northern have roving cleaners in/around Manchester (generally, not 195-specific). I know they do on their Newcastle-based services, but have never seen one around Manchester.
Thanks for sharing your other thoughts/impressions too.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
195120 and 102 are on the
1516 Manchester Airport service
From Liverpool Lime Street.I am on the train atm.
It has been delayed at the platform for some reason.

Yep i was on this double set.
Problem with interlock after coupling the two sets together. A full shutdown and reset got the matter sorted, 10 minutes delay, not bad first day.
Not bad units. Firm seats we know but ok for upto an hour or so. WiFi worked ok. Air con was nice.
The wider doors will certainly help with times.

Would have preferred electric transmission as opposed to the auto gearbox where you feel every change. Pick up pretty good though.
The open corridors is no problem, more standing room.
The PIS screens seemed ok, all the info you needed for that service.

Best new rollingstock Northern have had in years!!;)

Chris217

I'm on 195119 now from
South Parkway to Lime Street.
Not all Airports from Liverpool
are 195s today.
Saw 156475 with 150149 on one diagram.

palmersears

Established Member
Not all Airports from Liverpool
are 195s today.
Saw 156475 with 150149 on one diagram.
They were never going to be.

Will 2x195/1s be the norm on peak Airport-Lime Street services once all units are delivered, or will it become 2x195/0s?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

EE Andy b1

Established Member
A few pics of 195s on there introductory day.

20190701_140813.jpg 20190701_135721.jpg 20190701_141029.jpg Screenshot_20190701-171359_Video Player.jpg

And back home on the norm for CLC stoppers!

20190701_160456.jpg

Look what you could have won!! Lol

EE Andy b1

Established Member
The PIS screen looks a decent size on those pics.
Hope it's used for more than PR messages.

Yes not bad actually. Showed all station stops and destination for that service, also coach letter, time and temp.
Looks like adverts will be in there as well in future!

20190701_132633 (2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.