• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
Wether this is true at Windermere or not, I'm glad to hear the trains are stopping a bit quicker, because Northern rail trains are usually late, 10 seconds saved stopping can really make the difference between getting a connection or not when you have to leg it :lol:

Hopefully faster acceleration also helps services keep time better, I'm sure a modern centre door layout will also reduce dwell times. Guessing this door issue needs to be resolved though...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
In a rigorously controlled environment I would be more confident on getting near the limit with a digital speedo.
How accurate are the analogue ones, and more importantly are they definitely the same as the OTMR (so you can’t get busted when you bought you were 1mph below)?

TRAX

Established Member
The main drawback of digital speedos is that their movement isn’t smooth as on analogue ones.

Bovverboy

Established Member
195109 worked the 1715 Liverpool - Manchester Airport yesterday, Tuesday 15/10/19, I don't think that particular unit has previously been reported in public service. I don't now whether or not yesterday was its first day.

EDIT: Unit stock number corrected.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
175109 worked the 1715 Liverpool - Manchester Airport yesterday, Tuesday 15/10/19, I don't think that particular unit has previously been reported in public service. I don't now whether or not yesterday was its first day.

I was not aware that TfW had a spare Class 175 unit to loan out to Northern. I do see Class 175 units at Manchester Airport in late morning/early afternoon TfW services to and from Llandudno, which look far nicer in their new red and cream livery.

Adam0984

I was not aware that TfW had a spare Class 175 unit to loan out to Northern. I do see Class 175 units at Manchester Airport in late morning/early afternoon TfW services to and from Llandudno, which look far nicer in their new red and cream livery.

I think it’s a typo and should be 195109

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder to please be respectful :)

If you see anything that you feel either breaks the forum rules and/or causes concern, please click the report button to let us know (and if you think a post may need to be removed, please do not refer to it in any way on the thread)

Unfortunately large threads can be difficult to follow. It is advisable to do a search in a thread before asking a question where practicable, but this it isn't always possible to achieve this. We do try to encourage the creation of smaller threads to discuss different issues, rather than have long threads discussing a range of issues. However this is not always possible to achieve and some threads will become long. Please do contact us directly if you wish to report any concerns or provide any feedback regarding this. Thanks :)

Bovverboy

Established Member

That settles that one, then. I wasn't actually after the unit number (195110 I presume is doing it today), but no matter. I'm a bit out of touch with where the 195s are going to be operating (the plans seem to change by the day), but are they going to be doing Hull - Sheffield?

superkev

Established Member
Launch event for 195s on Leeds Chester service today (fri) Bradford, Hebden Bridge, Halifax bun fight.
Big wig from Northern speech said 9 units on Leeds Chester's Mon on.
Could cause a cull of Pacers as both Neville hill and Newton Heath are way over there normal capacity.
K

Llama

Established Member
The cabs are nicer than a 170. Unless you are an instructor or manager, or route learner. It's almost as though Northern, in their excitement, forgot entirely about the fact that that are a 'training TOC', and the fact that the person in charge of the train sits on the right a significant proportion of the time, and the fact that such a person might want to actually see forward at some point was well and truly lost on them.

Yes, Northern really did specify a train design where the person sat on the 'secondmans side' cannot see forward. At all.

Killingworth

Established Member
When Northern said that the post 2019 Class 142 Pacer extension into the early months of 2020 would be used on three routes, what routes are those?

According to reports out of Manchester one will be the Hope Valley to Sheffield - where we'd be happy with doubling up of Pacers rather than a single 150 on Saturdays!

Red Devil

The cabs are nicer than a 170. Unless you are an instructor or manager, or route learner. It's almost as though Northern, in their excitement, forgot entirely about the fact that that are a 'training TOC', and the fact that the person in charge of the train sits on the right a significant proportion of the time, and the fact that such a person might want to actually see forward at some point was well and truly lost on them.

Yes, Northern really did specify a train design where the person sat on the 'secondmans side' cannot see forward. At all.
Don't forget this was done in conjunction with ASLEF,so they're as much to blame as well

Established Member
195128 has been named Calder Champion.

Also, I spotted a shunter with a 195/331 driving car at Edge Hill recently, does anybody know what unit it was please?

superkev

Established Member
I hear a lot of empty stock movements around Leeds today (sun) although cant confirm.
Doncaster to Holbeck 1 or 2 195s
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O50023/2019-10-20/detailed.

Doncaster to Nevill hill 1 or 2 195s
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K61500/2019-10-20/detailed

Also a number of paths Neville Hill to Heaton which may be displaced pacers or 158s perhaps.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X66071/2019-10-20/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O50224/2019-10-20/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K62114/2019-10-20/detailed
Anyone confirm
K

Bovverboy

Established Member
No 'new' 195s in use today, I'm afraid.

For the record, Barrow/Windermere 156496, 195102/18/9/20/4/5
Liverpool 195002+195007, also 195109/16

Be interesting to see what turns up tomorrow.

northernchris

Established Member
If its had now its steps fitted it's ready for passengers. 331s and 195s are delivered with the steps stored inside for transit and usually are not fitted when on training.
K

Yes, it had the steps fitted so could well be out in service tomorrow

Agent_Squash

Established Member
0746 Barrow-Manchester Airport was a 156 instead of of 195. Guard apologised profusely - they seem very proud of the 195s!

chrissawer

Good to see these trains arrive in the Calder Valley. 2M02 0617 Leeds to Manchester Victoria was operated by 195110 this morning.
I thought it was a nice improvement. I heard a few complaints about the harsh lighting and fewer seats - the diagram was previously a 2 coach 158 + a 1 coach 153 which is similar length but higher seating density I think.
At Rochdale the guard announced a problem with one of the doors in the leading carriage and told people to use the other one. A fitter was waiting at Victoria to take a look.
It was running a bit late, from RTT looks like it spent nearly 6 minutes at Bradford Interchange. Difficulty changing ends maybe?
A nice improvement on the sprinters in my opinion, but they really should have made them 3 and 4 coaches long instead of 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.