• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

I've tried it... and no, you probably don't. I certainly don't want to do it again.

What was wrong with it?

I stood in the door vestibule of a surprisingly full and standing 195/1 on the 14:11 express from Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool South Parkway on a sunny and warm Friday before lockdown, it didn’t bother me and I felt perfectly safe standing.

Killingworth

Established Member
It seems 195022 had a technical problem this morning on the 7.11 out of Piccadilly for Sheffield. Got to New Mills Central on time at 7.40 but sat there until 7.58 before being held further to allow the East Midlands service through (itself 5 minutes late), so was then 30+ minutes late from Chinley into Sheffield. Hope Valley commuters weren't too impressed with the new train. Mutterings of "Better a Pacer than no train" may have been detected!

mspljd1990

I may be a bit biased because the 158 is my all time favourite unit, but riding a 195 along the Calder Valley Line just doesn't feel the same. They look very smart but the seats inside are uncomfortable. Mind you, so are the new 158 seats.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I may be a bit biased because the 158 is my all time favourite unit, but riding a 195 along the Calder Valley Line just doesn't feel the same. They look very smart but the seats inside are uncomfortable. Mind you, so are the new 158 seats.

Seats are very much a matter of opinion. Personally, I find the seats are one of the few good things about them, and those same seats in 158s are excellent - superb legroom on the same (fully window aligned) layout due to the thin backs.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Seats are very much a matter of opinion. Personally, I find the seats are one of the few good things about them, and those same seats in 158s are excellent - superb legroom on the same (fully window aligned) layout due to the thin backs.
You must have a rock hard rear to take those seats for any period over half an hour.

themiller

I prefer the seats in the 195s to the very variable quality ones in the 156s. I’ve done several journeys from Barrow-in-Furness to the airport without any problems at all.

superkev

Established Member
I wonder what the delay is with delivery of the last 195 133.
Also hows what seems like the world longest shed build at Newton Heath is coming on. Must have been going for getting 2 years now.
Thanks
K

Last edited:

Dspatula

195 131 was out today on the Liverpool Wilmslow this morning. Covid is the likely delay to 133, I think it's due by the end of the year and 021 by February next year.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Is there a roundup of the 195s' usual workings somewhere? (I have had an unsuccessful look in the forum listings).
As far as I can see, Sheffield-Lincoln, York-Blackpool, 2/3 of the Hope Valley, some Picc-New Mills, Liverpool-Manchester Oxford Rd, various services to Barrow & Windermere, Rochdale-Chester.

And not the Nottingham-Leeds, which all seem to be 158s.
There must be more, surely.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Is there a roundup of the 195s' usual workings somewhere? (I have had an unsuccessful look in the forum listings).
As far as I can see, Sheffield-Lincoln, York-Blackpool, 2/3 of the Hope Valley, some Picc-New Mills, Liverpool-Manchester Oxford Rd, various services to Barrow & Windermere, Rochdale-Chester.
They're on Vic-Leeds via Bradford as well

Jpr463

I'm certain I saw one at Bromley Cross heading towards Rochdale around 3pm today. I was in a car at the time so didn't catch the number. It caught me by surprise because we've never had them on the Clitheroe to Rochdale service and nor have I heard that they are going to be coming this way.

Jobbenar

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I'm down to my last 2 195/0 units, 017 & 021. I've heard rumours 021 is off the rails with damage due to a derailment, is that true? TIA

northernchris

Established Member
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I'm down to my last 2 195/0 units, 017 & 021. I've heard rumours 021 is off the rails with damage due to a derailment, is that true? TIA

Yes 195021 is the unit which was damaged and is aware for repair.

Efini92

Established Member
Here she is, slightly worse for wear8634F87E-AC41-49CF-B06B-53ACD7A4A39F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.