• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob figgis

Happy yourself and Killingworth got it. It is one of my last ones, so I check everyday to see if it is out and about. I’m hoping it will out on the Lincoln’s soon and I will see it for myself.
Looks like dreams do come true, 195015 has dropped onto the Lincoln’s today. Better get my act together and go see it. Whoop whoop a red pen day

195016 is out working today as well. It is paired with 017 working Leeds to Man Victoria.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
Happy yourself and Killingworth got it. It is one of my last ones, so I check everyday to see if it is out and about. I’m hoping it will out on the Lincoln’s soon and I will see it for myself.
I'd been checking every day since Northern allocations appeared on RTT, but was beginning to think it was kaput as it hadn't been out for the entire time. Yesterday was the first day I didn't check, so my thanks for the tip off!

Just 133 left to get once it enters service, I've been very fortunate they've started appearing on the Hope Valley, means I can just pop to New Mills, Strines or Chinley for a quick red pen between two of the three.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Have the 195s disappeared from the Hallam Line? I have not seen any since April and I've used the train regularly.
Does seem to be mostly 150s and 158s these days - although I think 195s might occasionally turn up on the line as a way of cycling units on and off the Lincoln services.

Mack91

Have the 195s disappeared from the Hallam Line? I have not seen any since April and I've used the train regularly.
None were running regularly along the line during the first lockdown, however they did make a comeback around July / August.
Edit: as NoMorePacers states, and having just looked at the RTT website, it seems that they are few and far between again.

Killingworth

Established Member
195104 was on the 14.45 from Piccadilly to Sheffield today. Good news and bad news. The three coaches were well filled by the time it left Grindleford with almost every table taken. A Pacer might have had standees. Once we're encouraged to travel they're going to be very popular indeed! Returning on the 16.14 at least 3 cyclists boarded but it was otherwise lightly loaded!

Adam0984

No 195s on the Hallam except 1 on the Notts on a Sunday at the moment. The units cycle via the Moorthorpe line last thing and also swap via the Hope Valley

peters

On Moderation
195104 was on the 14.45 from Piccadilly to Sheffield today. Good news and bad news. The three coaches were well filled by the time it left Grindleford with almost every table taken. A Pacer might have had standees. Once we're encouraged to travel they're going to be very popular indeed! Returning on the 16.14 at least 3 cyclists boarded but it was otherwise lightly loaded!

Pacers aren't allowed out by themselves anymore, they have to be attached to a Sprinter. Can the platforms between New Mills Central and Sheffield take a train formed of a Pacer plus Sprinter, or is the reason for using new 3 carriage trains on that line because they can't take 4 carriages?

There's a lot of popular walking routes starting and ending at stations on that line, so I wonder whether weekend passenger numbers will drop when indoor places can reopen and people aren't forced to do something outside if they want to leave their homes.

Frazzle

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Can the platforms between New Mills Central and Sheffield take a train formed of a Pacer plus Sprinter, or is the reason for using new 3 carriage trains on that line because they can't take 4 carriages?
Easily. They can take a 4 car 158 I believe (if not that then definitely a 4 car 150).

warwickshire

On Moderation
Were they extended at some point? I definitely recall that back in the early 2000s if a 4 car formation was in use the back 2 would be locked out.
Only recently ie especially grindleford and hathersage for sure only very recently. Note before covid 19 on the 05th march 2020. The 1649 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield Pacer and 150 combination at hathersage had to be done by local door release and butterfly fly release both units didn't fully fit. However come the 07th July 2020 when Pacers did run again with the sprinter combination and called at hathersage they fully fitted onto platform completely. Station extensions was meant for the may 2020 timetable change to 195 on route but in reality didn't happen until Monday the 14th September 2020.

Killingworth

Established Member
Only recently ie especially grindleford and hathersage for sure only very recently. Note before covid 19 on the 05th march 2020. The 1649 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield Pacer and 150 combination at hathersage had to be done by local door release and butterfly fly release both units didn't fully fit. However come the 07th July 2020 when Pacers did run again with the sprinter combination and called at hathersage they fully fitted onto platform completely. Station extensions was meant for the may 2020 timetable change to 195 on route but in reality didn't happen until Monday the 14th September 2020.
I haven't the exact date to hand but building the new extended platforms at Hathersage, restoring a short section of disused platform at Hope and restoring longer sections of both platforms at Grindleford should have been completed for the December timetable change. It wasn't but was all completed by the end of March. I have a picture taken at Hathersage dated 20th February where it's all complete barring removal of safety barriers around the works. All were in full public use soon after.

Before this work was completed 4 car Pacers, or a Pacer and 15x combination, regularly ran in service for the Folk Train.

Pacco

I saw a two-car 195 coming through Hazel Grove tonight around 19.30 towards Stockport.

No passengers onboard. Testing a route?

Killingworth

Established Member

CHAPS2034

I saw a two-car 195 coming through Hazel Grove tonight around 19.30 towards Stockport.

No passengers onboard. Testing a route?
It was 195006 according to RTT operating a regular empty stock move from Chinley to Stockport CMD

Comes off the 2S30 1819 MAN - Chinley

This week it was 195115 on Mon, Canx on Tues and 195008 yesterday

skyhigh

Established Member
There's now a weekday service booked for 3x2 car 195. As far as I know that's the first time this has happened? 1J34 22.56 Manchester to Leeds.

skyhigh

Established Member
Is one unit locked out or does ASDO cope with it?
I'd agree. We've seen a 6 coach 195 movement between Sheffield and Piccadilly on a late evening service, presumably only the lead unit in passenger service.
All 3 units are to be used in service, with ASDO taking care of short platforms. Booked with 2x guards, one for the middle set and one for the rear. In theory should only work with a set locked out if a guard is unavailable for some reason. The reversal at Bradford makes it quite time-consuming to lock a set out as everything needs to be swapped round there.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'm on 195131 and I'm a lot more impressed than I was on my first ride. No jerky brakes this time.

I'm a little surprised to see class 158s on stopping trains, e.g Wigan to Blackburn via Rochdale. I'd have thought 195s would be more suitable with better acceleration and door position. I think that Liverpool to Oxford Road stoppers should be 100% class 195. That would allow every station to have an hourly service or some of the hourly stations to increase to half hourly.

johntea

Established Member
There was a 195 on the slow 20:32 Leeds to Sheffield Hallam this evening! :o

It still feels really weird to be sat on one travelling this line for some reason! (Probably because we've been so used to pacers and more recently 150/158!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There was a 195 on the slow 20:32 Leeds to Sheffield Hallam this evening! :o

It still feels really weird to be sat on one travelling this line for some reason! (Probably because we've been so used to pacers and more recently 150/158!)

The interiors were perhaps not the right choice (nice though they are, give or take window alignment) because the acceleration makes them so suited to stopping services. The Class 171 model in Birmingham, of putting them directly onto city stopping services, was perhaps better.

Status
Not open for further replies.