• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6700

319's seem to use it a lot now in my experience

Apart from when they we being built, I don't recall seeing any Class 319's in York. I guess this is just a simple case of crossed wires (excuse the pun!)

Shortly after the OHLE went up, I did see a Class 84 in York platform 8 - mobile loadbank ADB968021. There are some interesting online pictures of the loco in both this platform and the parcel sidings here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=ADB968021 York

Clip

Established Member
Apart from when they we being built, I don't recall seeing any Class 319's in York. I guess this is just a simple case of crossed wires (excuse the pun!)

Shortly after the OHLE went up, I did see a Class 84 in York platform 8 - mobile loadbank ADB968021. There are some interesting online pictures of the loco in both this platform and the parcel sidings here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=ADB968021 York

Apologies i was sure you were in about Preston still for some reason

43095john

331102 was dragged to Doncaster making itself the 4th 331 to head to the east side. (106 at Neville Hill and 102/5/7) at Doncaster

AMD

Are they training drivers/ guards now or still training the instructors.
Drivers training has started, our depot just been emailed today with the plan for the guards training - it starts next week.

woodhouse122

331102 and 333105 were parked up at donny this afternoon whilst 331107 was doing driver training runs

driver_m

Established Member
Now that there’s some room at Edge Hill again, 331 109 (half of it) has now turned up here.

sjpowermac

Established Member
331 107 in platform 1 at York this evening whilst awaiting departure with 5Z62 to Doncaster. Looks nice inside.

There was a bright light aimed at the pantograph, I assume for some kind of testing.
7516A636-E57F-4E3F-AD40-80B0F5727AA9.jpeg 71E3FA18-B19E-43A2-B51C-05AC82361F24.jpeg 06D6F84B-945D-4310-A4E8-10EFF2D8034A.jpeg

_toommm_

Established Member
331 107 in platform 1 at York this evening whilst awaiting departure with 5Z62 to Doncaster. Looks nice inside.

There was a bright light aimed at the pantograph, I assume for some kind of testing.
View attachment 62385 View attachment 62386 View attachment 62387

If the light was on top of the train already, it's a requirement for new electric trains to be fitted with lights and cameras, so if the wires come down, it can be seen if it was the pantograph which brought them down or faulty wires etc.

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
If the light was on top of the train already, it's a requirement for new electric trains to be fitted with lights and cameras, so if the wires come down, it can be seen if it was the photograph which brought them down or faulty wires etc.
Many thanks for that, I didn’t know about it being a requirement.

AM9

Veteran Member
If the light was on top of the train already, it's a requirement for new electric trains to be fitted with lights and cameras, so if the wires come down, it can be seen if it was the photograph which brought them down or faulty wires etc.
I assume that you mean: "it can be seen if it was the pantograph which brought them down". I didn't think that OLE was camera shy. :)
Yes, all new EMUs since the class 700s have been fitted with permanently-on LED lights (and presumably cameras) in each pantograph location.

xotGD

Established Member
Saw a 331 working south through Wakefield Westgate around 17.15 today. 107, IIRC.

palmersears

Established Member
I've seen a posting in one Facebook group suggesting there's going to be a 331 on one of the Leeds/Doncaster diagram before the timetable change.

I find this incredibly hard to believe myself, but have shared to allow those with more knowledge to confirm or dismiss accordingly.

Harvey B

I've seen a posting in one Facebook group suggesting there's going to be a 331 on one of the Leeds/Doncaster diagram before the timetable change.

I find this incredibly hard to believe myself, but have shared to allow those with more knowledge to confirm or dismiss accordingly.
I'm not a northern staff member myself but I was asking the same thing not too long ago (which turned into an argument) but Leeds based staff members have said in this forum that they will not enter service before the May timetable change (infact they have said they won't enter service in may at all)

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

If all goes well, we'll probably only see the first units in service in late June.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
331 002 (3-car) turned up at Liverpool Lime St this afternoon, on a run from Carnforth to Edge Hill depot.
It took 65 minutes from Lancaster to the buffers at Lime St which is pretty good going.
It still had a "CAF Zaragoza" poster in the window, so seemingly not under Northern's control.

Harvey B

By this point, you're probably correct.
I wouldn't be surprised either. If they were to enter service any earlier than my guess, then I think the first unit would have been delivered in March as opposed to last month. Unless someone that is a Leeds based crew member (such as adam) says any different then I guess somewhere between early to late July is most likely to be when we see the first 331 in service in Leeds. As for the Manchester based units, they could enter service either before the Leeds based units, the same time as the Leeds units or after them.

driver_m

Established Member
Wouldn’t it be wise to assume it would like the 319 introduction to Bolton services. Maybe 1 slipped in where it can stay as a 331 all day provided enough staff are trained within a diagram to fully cover a 331? Before a full timetable introduction.

Neptune

Established Member
331 staff training not started yet at Leeds or Doncaster so no chance for May timetable change. No confirmed dates yet so best not to speculate on timescales of entry into service. It will happen when it happens.

AMD

What I was trying to say was that there's a chance that the Manchester units could enter service at a different time to the Leeds units.

Quite probably - both drivers and conductors training has started on the west side, whereas no training has started on the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.