• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
You are correct in that the pantograph on the 4-car 378s was next to a driving vehicle rather than in the centre of the formation, but given that the 378s aren't going to work in multiple (barring rescue situations) and generally are fairly low speed, the close proximity of the pantographs won't have been an issue. Quite the opposite if the train could likely end up working in multiple at 100mph!

You are correct in that the pantograph on the 4-car 378s was next to a driving vehicle rather than in the centre of the formation, but given that the 378s aren't going to work in multiple (barring rescue situations) and generally are fairly low speed, the close proximity of the pantographs won't have been an issue. Quite the opposite if the train could likely end up working in multiple at 100mph!

There were units down south that had pans at close proximity to one end (and not the 309s before anyone says!) They worked in multi so it shouldn't really be that much of an issue. Two 86s which are even closer were only restricted to 80.

TRAX

Established Member
I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone, but the more you know...
The Austrian company TSA (Traktionssysteme Austria) is the manufacturer of the traction motors for the British CAF Civity EMUs, including the Class 331.

On a side note, TSA is also the manufacturer behind the traction motors in the overhauled Class 321 and 455, the Manchester M5000 Flexity tram, the Birmingham Urbos tram, and the Tramlink Variobahns.

The 331 front end looks a lot like the Auckland (NZ) AM Class CAF EMUs.

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
I supposed Austria sounds more adapted to the international market.

southern442

Established Member
This could likely mean a fairly nondescript quiet motor sound. Personally a bit of a bore for me but doubt it will be upsetting anyone else.

Geeves

Established Member
The latest CAF electrics sound as good as you can hope these days. Its not a patch on a 323 or a 319 though!

- Netherlands
- Barcelona
- Auckland

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
CAF do seem to have a talent for producing quite visually attractive rolling stock, don't they?

I know I love the Stadler FLIRT, but it isn't *pretty*, certainly not the boxy Euro-FLIRT.

D365

Veteran Member
Doesn't look like much more than a Class 321 to my eyes ;)

Domh245

Established Member
My 'issue' with CAF stock is that it looks like their windows are very low on the bodyside compared to other stock - especially in that low angle shot. Maybe it is just the lack of window band, but they look poorly proportioned.

Tam

Is that unit being prepared for a move away from Velim with those trucks either side of it?

They are translator vehicles, but based on what I have seen there over recent months I wouldn't read too much into that. I saw the same trucks attached last month (might even be a photo above).

Edit: See photos in my post of 22nd April.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone, but the more you know...
The Austrian company TSA (Traktionssysteme Austria) is the manufacturer of the traction motors for the British CAF Civity EMUs, including the Class 331.
On a side note, TSA is also the manufacturer behind the traction motors in the overhauled Class 321 and 455, the Manchester M5000 Flexity tram, the Birmingham Urbos tram, and the Tramlink Variobahns.

TSA's address is Brown-Boveri Strasse 1 in Vienna, which gives you some idea of its origins.
They also do the alternators in the Hitachi class 80x.

whhistle

On Moderation
Nice to see a different cab door than what we're use to.
Makes it a bit more "engineer" and gritty than flowers and spa days.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Excuse me if this is a load of local wibble, but an article has come out saying how 6 coach trains will be used on the Wharfedale line

http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/16273242.The_train_now_arriving_is___too_long_/

DESPERATELY-needed longer trains are at last being introduced on the Wharfedale line – but most platforms are too short to take them.

Frustrated campaigners have long pressed for action to ease chronic overcrowding on the busy rail route, which carries around 4.5 million passengers a year.

But it is feared that without extended platforms, passenger safety will be put at risk and there will be a deterioration in services.

Operator Northern has confirmed that six-carriage trains are planned on the line.

This isn't surprising as the introduction of 331s on the Airedale line wouldn't have left enough 333's to cover the rest of the electric Northern services around Yorkshire with the departure of the Dusty Bins.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Excuse me if this is a load of local wibble, but an article has come out saying how 6 coach trains will be used on the Wharfedale line

http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/16273242.The_train_now_arriving_is___too_long_/

This isn't surprising as the introduction of 331s on the Airedale line wouldn't have left enough 333's to cover the rest of the electric Northern services around Yorkshire with the departure of the Dusty Bins.

Talk about a storm in a teacup!

Different coaches will be on the platform at different stations and passengers will be totally confused as to where on the train they should be.

"Platform extensions are essential for longer trains in the south-east yet they are too expensive for Yorkshire," he added.

"I have not seen selective door opening on trains anywhere in Europe and in the UK it's only used in restricted instances where trains are virtually empty."

We won't mention the major implementations of SDO on South Western Railway and Great Western Railway to name just 2?

Or are they not in the South East?

The mind boggles.

Spartacus

Established Member
"I have not seen selective door opening on trains anywhere in Europe......

I have not seen Australia, therefore do I believe it does not exist either? :rolleyes::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.