Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by BMIFlyer, 31 Jan 2018.

1. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

That'll be replacing the original poor-quality flat cloth seat covers with moquette, probably.

2. 43096

43096 Established Member

Or, more likely, a typo for 333007.

3. superkev

superkev Established Member

Typo senile decay meant 333 007.
    K

4. Staffordian

Staffordian Member

Thanks - I was even more concerned that the 331s might be ‘suffering serious structural problems’.

5. childwallblues

childwallblues Established Member

I think that should say 333007.

6. Halifaxlad

Halifaxlad Member

Good idea!

7. TUC

TUC Established Member

What is meant to be the position on the availability of wifi in the new rolling stock? Neither the train I travelled on this morning, nor the one this evening, had wifi available.

8. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Watching these videos, there's some pretty obtrusive noise coming from the HVAC most (but not all) of the time - anyone know what that is?

9. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Travelled on a 4-car 331 today between Manchester Airport and Crewe, and it was the best-riding CAF unit I have been on so far.
    Almost up to 323 standards on the fast bit between Alderley Edge and Holmes Chapel, and good enough so you could enjoy the scenery.
    But still not as good as on my next train, a 350 between Crewe and Liverpool.
    At least there's hope.
    The 331 was displaying "Not in Service" on its PIS.

10. LancasterRed

LancasterRed Member

Seen a number of 2x3s running through Preston today. Good to see units with appropriate capacity are running

11. jfollows

jfollows Member

My first 331 from Wilmslow yesterday, very annoyingly it called the first station stop "Handfuth". Why can't they use people who know how to pronounce place names correctly to record the announcements? (It's "forth" as in "Forth of Clyde", or at least it has been to me all of my life).

EDIT: I mean "Firth of Forth" of course ..... it would have been clearer if I'd written "Handforth" rhymes with "north" and not mentioned Scottish rivers at all.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:01
  12. jfollows

jfollows Member

My opinion of the my first 331 is that the tables are completely unnecessary and inappropriate for a Crewe-Manchester stopping service, which has never had tables nor needed them since my memories of the AM4s. They make getting in and out of the seats much more awkward than would be the case if they weren't there.

13. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Is it not the case that the Class 331 units are meant to be used on a number of services, some of which will benefit from the provision of tables. The fact they are being used on the type of service that you mention above is just ensuring usage of these units on an already electrified line.

You sound like you would prefer a different type of EMU, such as the Class 323 to be used on that particular route, ignoring the Class 319 units as an alternative provision.

14. jfollows

jfollows Member

Yes, the 323 (or even 319 when not breaking down) would be preferable, as I'm sure would be the case from Prestbury to Manchester as well (where I used to catch AM4s from in the 1970s).

15. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

I also had my first journey on a 331 yesterday afternoon between Stockport and Deansgate. I have to say what fine units they are; I found the seating really comfortable (important for folk like me who suffer from the occasional sciatica), perfect window alignment, perfect legroom and plug sockets which is always a bonus. I particularly like the traction fan whirring up as it goes to depart stations; reminds me of the huge extractor fans found in the doom and gloom of Birmingham New Street. I also felt that they don't have pick up speed quickly. I was really impressed. Quite nice to have a cross-city journey through one of the most congested railway networks in the country.

Just hope that Transport for Wales get some for the Valley Lines, as these are the perfect units (well, 195s anyway). I can certainly see these scooping up passengers in and around South Wales.

16. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Indeed, and I have to say that the tables are already proving to be popular with at least business commuters on the Aire & Wharfe lines, with laptops being quickly deployed for that extra bit of work on their first/last leg on their journeys, even if that is no more than 45 or so minutes maximum.

17. Razor1967

Razor1967 Member

I am planning a trip across the Pernnines to Manchester in March to try and see as many 331/0 and 195/0 and 195/1 uniits as possible. I know the 331/0 run through Piccadilly and I am planning more time there (approx 3.5 hours). I also intend to spend about 1.5 hours at Victoria as I assume some of the 195s that call there don't pass through Piccadilly too. I can also see the TPE 68 and 802s there, but they are not so important as they also go through to York where I live. I have slowly been picking up the 195/1 on the York Blackpool service but still need a godd three quarters.

Any idea of the diagrams the 331/0 run on through Piccadilly.

Many thanks.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:16
  18. Llama

Llama Established Member

331/1 tend to be on the Liverpool-Crewe via Manchester Airport as far as I know, along with 323s and 319s; 331/0 are more likely to be on the Blackpool-Manchester Airport/Hazel Groves, often in pairs, but what is actually booked and what turns up are very different things. 195s are booked on all the trains between Leeds and Manchester Victoria/Chester via Bradford; 195s are also booked on the Airport-Barrow/Windermere and Airport-Liverpool semi-Express. Again, there may be shortages or failures.

19. Razor1967

Razor1967 Member

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

20. palmersears

palmersears Established Member

331024 the latest 331 to arrive at Edge Hill, leaving just 025-031 to be delivered now.

21. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Had to chuckle when I was on a Blackpool North to Manchester Airport train last Saturday afternoon, comprised of two conjoined 3 car Class 331 units when approaching Preston station, the information screen blithely informed people in part of the rear unit, wishing to depart at Preston, to move forward to do so with the totally fallacious statement that Preston station platforms were too short to accommodate a 6 car unit.....:lol:

22. childwallblues

childwallblues Established Member

According to my records I noted both 331024 and 331025 on Edge Hill Depot on 14th January.

23. palmersears

palmersears Established Member

Ahh yes, my mistake, I've seen it as well.

24. physics34

physics34 Established Member

Did my first 331 from Leeds to Doncaster yesterday. Positives, pretty comfortable, decent interior layout and decor, nice livery, ok ride quality.

Negatives, i also noticed that noise coming from the AC or from fans of some sort-quite intrusive, lighting too bright, 'see it say it sorted' played too often, loud door open chimes AGAIN.

At least they are an improvement on whats gone before