• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Complimentary Travel Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I have a Northern Complimentary Travel Pass for a return ticket.

I have to complete the From and To boxes and the outward date and return date.

I assume from having separate boxes for the dates, that I can travel outward on one date and return on another?

Can I break my journey on both outward and return journeys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Yes and yes. There have been occasional issues with gateline staff on the outward journey demanding the date for the return leg to be filled in, which is nonsense

And you can take different routes out and back - I did Keighley to St Bees out via the S&C and back round the coast

SeanG

You can also use a circuitous route as it specifies "northern only".

And so whilst Darlington - York is usually only valid direct via ECML, it would be perfectly permissable to do Darlington - Newcastle - Carlisle - Leeds - York

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have a Northern Complimentary Travel Pass for a return ticket.

I have to complete the From and To boxes and the outward date and return date.

I assume from having separate boxes for the dates, that I can travel outward on one date and return on another?

Can I break my journey on both outward and return journeys?
Yes to all.
You can also use a circuitous route as it specifies "northern only".

And so whilst Darlington - York is usually only valid direct via ECML, it would be perfectly permissable to do Darlington - Newcastle - Carlisle - Leeds - York
Agreed

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Wigan to Scarborough is taking about 10 hours at present (only a slight exaggeration) and I'm planning something like that.

robbeech

Established Member
Staff have always been very happy to accept these if you’re on some form of sensible route (including the above much long, not usually permitted routes). I’ve only known the 1 case of staff wanting return date filled in at the same time and that was posted here.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I had a bit of a job getting let through a Northern ticket barrier using one of these tickets yesterday on my return leg. Barrier man kept insisting that these tickets were only valid for one day, despite there clearly being two date boxes to fill in: one for the outward and another for return journey. Eventually he backed down and let me through.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I had a bit of a job getting let through a Northern ticket barrier using one of these tickets yesterday on my return leg. Barrier man kept insisting that these tickets were only valid for one day, despite there clearly being two date boxes to fill in: one for the outward and another for return journey. Eventually he backed down and let me through.
Oh dear. Not surprising :s

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Thank you for all the advice. One more thing occurred to me. They are valid in the peak period, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.