• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor 19/20 Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJD

Hi everyone hope you’re all good. I’ve seen there’s a few threads like this for Train Drivers. Just wanted to get an idea of anyone who is waiting in a talent pool to start as a Conductor for Northern. If so how long you been waiting??

I got put in a talent pool for Manchester last week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kadot

Hi everyone hope you’re all good. I’ve seen there’s a few threads like this for Train Drivers. Just wanted to get an idea of anyone who is waiting in a talent pool to start as a Conductor for Northern. If so how long you been waiting??

I have passed my interview and I'm waiting for a medical and start date. I have received no formal confirmation that I am in a talent pool but I'm assuming so as I've been informed that my application is pending future course dates.

Applied for Conductor position in July. Passed interview at the end of August.

How about yourself?

DJD

I have passed my interview and I'm waiting for a medical and start date. I have received no formal confirmation that I am in a talent pool but I'm assuming so as I've been informed that my application is pending future course dates.

Applied for Conductor position in July. Passed interview at the end of August.

How about yourself?

Hi Kadot yeah I’m kind of in the same boat really. I passed my interview in September. I had my medical at the end of October which I passed. I got told more or less the same thing about pending future course date possibly in Spring. I’ve also not had any confirmation about being in a talent pool but it does say in my email from them “should a course date not be immediately available you will be placed in a talent pool once a place date can be confirmed” so I’m assuming that means I’m in a talent pool. What depot are you waiting for if you don’t mind me asking?

Kadot

Hi Kadot yeah I’m kind of in the same boat really. I passed my interview in September. I had my medical at the end of October which I passed. I got told more or less the same thing about pending future course date possibly in Spring. I’ve also not had any confirmation about being in a talent pool but it does say in my email from them “should a course date not be immediately available you will be placed in a talent pool once a place date can be confirmed” so I’m assuming that means I’m in a talent pool. What depot are you waiting for if you don’t mind me asking?

Well at least you have got your medical out of the way.

It is York for me. Assuming my course will be in Leeds. Not sure if the wait will be the same as Manchester.

I just know that the wait is going to be a killer!

DJD

Well at least you have got your medical out of the way.

It is York for me. Assuming my course will be in Leeds. Not sure if the wait will be the same as Manchester.

I just know that the wait is going to be a killer!

Yeah I’d love to be starting soon but good things come to those who wait I guess. I just hope there is a job there at the end of it.

CreamNCookies

I've been in the pool since May, emailed someone in HR as I read a few people had been offered provisional start dates for next year who had been in the talent pool since the same time as me..

I was just told they are awaiting a course date for me still.

So fingers crossed I hear something soon... the expiration date is soon approaching o_O

DJD

I've been in the pool since May, emailed someone in HR as I read a few people had been offered provisional start dates for next year who had been in the talent pool since the same time as me..

I was just told they are awaiting a course date for me still.

So fingers crossed I hear something soon... the expiration date is soon approaching o_O

I hope you hear something soon mate. What depot are you waiting for??

CreamNCookies

I hope you hear something soon mate. What depot are you waiting for??
Newcastle.

They are currently looking for a conductor manager for Newcastle, so im hoping this may tie in everything.

I mean a new conductor manager would need training.

Brett himself

Hi there!
Iv just passed my conductor course for newcastle. Had my interveiw in march medical in july n started september!
Think courses run in leeds and newcastle

dan ...

Hi there!
Iv just passed my conductor course for newcastle. Had my interveiw in march medical in july n started september!
Think courses run in leeds and newcastle
I’ve just passed my medical after being given my start date for jan, how long after ur medical we’re you sent ur contract? :)

BPL1992

I passed my interview in March and have been in talent pool ever since... My application expires in less than a month :frown:

My advice to anyone in the pool don't put your life on hold waiting for the call... :)

DJD

I passed my interview in March and have been in talent pool ever since... My application expires in less than a month :frown:

My advice to anyone in the pool don't put your life on hold waiting for the call... :)

This really is this grim reality of railway recruitment. You jump through all the hoops and get your hopes up and the sad truth is that you might not even make it all the way to a job at the end of it.

DJD

Been offered a position today starting in March. So pleased to get that call today, I’ve wanted this job so much, literally checking my emails every day for any news. Can’t believe it’s actually happening. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for a start date.

CreamNCookies

Congrats mate, im in the pool still hoping for a call. My application expires soon!

But im also off for a trainee train driver assessment today in Leeds.

What a time to be alive!

DJD

Congrats mate, im in the pool still hoping for a call. My application expires soon!

But im also off for a trainee train driver assessment today in Leeds.

What a time to be alive!

Indeed it is! 2020 is going to be a good year. Good luck with your driver assessment! Well done on getting to that stage.

Bosch91

Been offered a position today starting in March. So pleased to get that call today, I’ve wanted this job so much, literally checking my emails every day for any news. Can’t believe it’s actually happening. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for a start date.

just out of interest how were you approached by northern when offering you a job? Is it a telephone call or a email from HR?

Caad12

Well my application for both driver and conductor is still in process stage. Don't know if that's good or bad :D

DJD

just out of interest how were you approached by northern when offering you a job? Is it a telephone call or a email from HR?

I received a telephone call from the person who contacted me from HR following my medical in November. At this time they were unable to offer me a position but did say they would be in touch if anything was to change. I have subsequently received a job offer confirmation email with my start date and am currently awaiting a letter in the post to accept the job offer.

what stage are you at? Have you had an interview and if so have they let you know if you were successful?

Last edited:

Bosch91

I received a telephone call from the person who contacted me from HR following my medical in November. At this time they were unable to offer me a position but did say they would be in touch if anything was to change. I have subsequently received a job offer confirmation email with my start date and am currently awaiting a letter in the post to accept the job offer.

what stage are you at? Have you had an interview and if so have they let you know if you were successful?
I’ve have been for interview at my local depot and I am awaiting the result of that. However it is not a conductor role so I’d imagine the process may be slightly different.

Snicksnicks

Hi DJD, just seen that you're based at Manchester also. Could you go through your interview process for me? Would be great if you could. I’m just a bit confused because I’ve seen on here that a lot of other people had a group interview, whereas mine just says it’s an competency based interview?

Good luck on your first day when you start

DJD

I’ve have been for interview at my local depot and I am awaiting the result of that. However it is not a conductor role so I’d imagine the process may be slightly different.

About a week after my interview I found out if I was successful or not by email. You still need to pass a medical before they consider offering you the job.

DJD

Hi DJD, just seen that you're based at Manchester also. Could you go through your interview process for me? Would be great if you could. I’m just a bit confused because I’ve seen on here that a lot of other people had a group interview, whereas mine just says it’s an competency based interview?

Good luck on your first day when you start

Yeah it’s competency based. I didn’t do a group session on mine. Was just an interview with one person asking questions and another taking notes. They just ask you questions like.. can you tell me a time when you worked as part of a team to deliver excellent customer service? what do you understand about the role? that sort of thing. You’ll be in there for about an hour and believe me it goes so fast.

Bosch91

About a week after my interview I found out if I was successful or not by email. You still need to pass a medical before they consider offering you the job.
Guess it’s just a waiting game then. My application is still set to assessment stage on the db careers portal so I guess it’s not a no.

jhlouise

Hi all,

I recently passed my interview for Conductor at Buxton and I've been given a date for my medical, which is next week.

How long after the medical should I expect to wait before being given a start date?

DJD

Hi all,

I recently passed my interview for Conductor at Buxton and I've been given a date for my medical, which is next week.

How long after the medical should I expect to wait before being given a start date?

It all depends on them. you will know after you pass your medical. HR will contact you and let you know.. it could be straight away, it could be a few months. I waited from November to January before I got the news. The fact that you’ve got this far means you have done well to get to this point. All I would say is just be patient, which is hard I know, but that is all you can do.

Kadot

I passed my interview at the end of August and I am yet to be given a Medical date. I have heard that a course date may be as far as Spring.

Macla91

I'm halfway through my training in Leeds I started 9th Dec but was put in talent pool in May so expect a longish wait, you wont hear anything at all then suddenly everything will happen at once.

Bosch91

Guess it’s just a waiting game then. My application is still set to assessment stage on the db careers portal so I guess it’s not a no.
Been contacted since and informed I’ve been placed into a talent pool pending future vacancies, not the news I was hoping for however I guess I’ve done well to make it thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.