• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NORTHERN CONDUCTOR HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny1232

Hi guys, I have an interview with northern coming up for a conductor role, really excited but I have this worry due to all the recent striking that has taken place, just wanted a inside view on things, is the job secure enough to take as it sounds like northern want driver only trains? Which baffles me as in why they would be recruiting more conductors ? Hope you can help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NightRider90

Hi danny

Just seen this so I have registered just to reply to you.

I am a current Northern conductor. I will be honest it does look scary from the outside and the strikes will be off putting but it's still definitely worth going for.

Any changes will take along time and not all routes will change over if it does get pushed through. Chances are you would be years into service before any serious changes happen and by then you may have progressed onto better things.

The way I look at it is, if the worst happens you will do a slightly different role but same pay. But I believe it will turn out well in the end. I do believe it's getting close.

There is plenty of overtime and Sundays you can work to cover the loosing of pay. I've not actually lost any pay in theory as I've just covered say the Saturday strike with working on a Wednesday.

Training is 3 months anyway so you won't loose money during that.

Go for it, it's worth getting in the door as you would then stand as good chance as anyone to become a driver or manager ext in the future

Danny1232

Night Rider, thanks for the reply! It has put me at ease a bit more now, this is deffo something I want to
Pursue. Had my interview Friday and just waiting for results. The gentlemen
Who took my interview said I did well , just got to see how I did on the group exercise! Fingers crossed!

NightRider90

Nice one, the interview is the main bit. As long as you made an input to the group chat and also listened to others your be fine.

Which depot/station did you apply for?

Danny1232

Yeah I thought that, didn’t want to overly talk either just in case I came across too confident. I applied for Piccadilly Manchester mate !

NightRider90

Good depot that. Some good people there too. Fingers crossed for you.

I'm sure your be alright.

Keep me updated

CPFC#1

Hi, I had my interview for a conductor working out of Liverpool Lime Street last Monday and found out last night I was successful. I asked that question in my interview "whether the role was safe" and the ops manager assured me they have an agreement in place for the next few years to keep them on board (phew!)

Just waiting for my medical now but got a long wait until May for the training course. It seems so far away from now but will definitely be worth the wait!

Does anyone have any experience of Lime Street? I've heard its a pretty decent station to work out of.

I've applied for Conductor based at Sheffield and passed the online tests so hopefully will get an interview, has anyone got any advice on the job and what routes/units Sheffield Conductors work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.