• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductor: m-ticket invalid without payment receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
No not wrong at all, not suggesting the OP did this you can have situations where you see the guard coming, buy the mticket whilst on the train, the email receipt will give the time of purchase

The Northern app won't sell you a ticket for immediate travel. I've tried to buy when I've arrived at the station. The transaction will not complete as there is "not enough time to deliver the ticket". There is a delay between purchase and the ticket showing up in the wallet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
The Northern app won't sell you a ticket for immediate travel. I've tried to buy when I've arrived at the station. The transaction will not complete as there is "not enough time to deliver the ticket". There is a delay between purchase and the ticket showing up in the wallet.

Which defeats the whole point of the mticket does it not, especially given they're actively marketed as an option for passengers starting journeys at stations with no facilities?

najaB

Veteran Member
Which defeats the whole point of the mticket does it not, especially given they're actively marketed as an option for passengers starting journeys at stations with no facilities?
That depends on how long "not enough time" is. If it's five minutes, not a problem. If it's 30 minutes - not good.

Abpj17

True. It won't, however, show the full credit card number. Unless Northern's IT team have all failed Cybersecurity 101.

And broken the PCI-DSS rules that would get them in hot water as an acceptor of cards. This predates the term cyber security by years.

pemma

Veteran Member
That depends on how long "not enough time" is. If it's five minutes, not a problem. If it's 30 minutes - not good.

And what if you arrive at a station 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time buy a m-ticket and then find the previous service hasn't yet departed due to severe delays?

najaB

Veteran Member
And what if you arrive at a station 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time buy a m-ticket and then find the previous service hasn't yet departed due to severe delays?
That depends on if the m-ticket is service-specific or not.

najaB

Veteran Member
If they are then what's the point of them between Northern station where Advance tickets aren't available?
Then the 'previous train hasn't departed' dilemma doesn't matter. You either receive it in time and get the train that's there, or don't get it in time and get the train you had intended to get in the first place.

Or, since it's an unstaffed station with no purchasing facilities, buy on board from the guard or at your destination station as entitled to under the NRCoC.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Then the 'previous train hasn't departed' dilemma doesn't matter. You either receive it in time and get the train that's there, or don't get it in time and get the train you had intended to get in the first place.

Or, since it's an unstaffed station with no purchasing facilities, buy on board from the guard or at your destination station as entitled to under the NRCoC.

Sometimes the guard cannot/does not make it down the train to sell tickets. Buying a ticket on the app saves joining the queue to purchase at Piccadilly.

Also, it's useful buying advances the night before when there is no chance to collect. However, I don't like holding tickets on my phone due to potential failure. Paper doesn't break, reset, freeze or lose power at a key moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.