• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductor medical bmi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Si_leeds

Hi I have my start date for my training and have handed my notice in, however my medical is next week (6 days before I'm due to start) and I was just wondering how strict the guide lines are for the bmi?

My bmi is currently 36, is 28 years old, other than my bmi I'm fit and healthy etc.

Am I likely to be turned down with this bmi or not?

I've read a post saying they won't accept anything above 33, but this was from 2012 and seems a little unfair considering how useless a bmi measurement really is (I've worked in the sport and leisure industry for 10 years)

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi I have my start date for my training and have handed my notice in, however my medical is next week (6 days before I'm due to start) and I was just wondering how strict the guide lines are for the bmi?

My bmi is currently 36, is 28 years old, other than my bmi I'm fit and healthy etc.

Am I likely to be turned down with this bmi or not?

I've read a post saying they won't accept anything above 33, but this was from 2012 and seems a little unfair considering how useless a bmi measurement really is (I've worked in the sport and leisure industry for 10 years)

Thanks

Take a look at this link, I have been looking at it for my hearing.... As am dead paranoid about it for some reason, but it should be fine...

http://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GOOTC302 Iss 1.pdf

However I noticed it says withdrawn in 1999, but can not find anything regarding the medical info anywhere else :s

Si_leeds

Says bmi not to exceed 30 but then other have said 33, and others on here have said in the past you'd be OK if there were no underlying issues. I'm confused about it, I'very got a little bit of a belly but I wouldn't of said I'm fat lol

Aeion

I wouldn't worry about it all tbh at my depot we have some rather larger people
Employed and I'm not a skinny runt by any means. I don't particularly think they can discriminate about weight anymore either as long as you can walk a mile and a half down the track and carry the heavy equipment that's all they care about.

Si_leeds

That's pretty much what my mate said (driver / ex guard) but just wanted to check.
Really hope it goes OK, can't wait to get started now

Red Devil

I gather you've seen some of the people employed on the railway. Do they look as though their BMI was uppermost in the minds of their employers?
No! Thought not.

Si_leeds

No but at the same time the old thing that Darren posted there says no more than 30 for new recruits, but no limit for current staff

Red Devil

Well I've seen a few new recruits that appear to be playing fast and loose with the figure 30!!

Si_leeds

The thing is we all know nowadays that bmI is a useless equation as it doesn't take I to account muscle or bone mass, but for some reason employers still seem to like it.

You recon il be OK with 36 then?

kdhurst380

The thing is we all know nowadays that bmI is a useless equation as it doesn't take I to account muscle or bone mass, but for some reason employers still seem to like it.

I spoke to a good friend of mine who is a Conductor elsewhere in the country, he has a BMI of about the same as yours and its not muscle! So you should be fine... I was panicking as mines around 28 but I don't think they're that strict. I suppose it could vary between TOCs but it seems to be fairly standard.

kaine19

I spoke to the nurse on my medical today about BMI. I'm General they won't fail you on high BMI. But if other factors like blood pressure are high that could be a factor to your weight etc.

Si_leeds

I figured that'd be the case kaine.
I know my BP is OK as it was checked at the quacks last week :)

The nurse pretty much said to me that BMI is a nonsensical way of calculating fitness and said she had never failed anyone on it. She did some sort of waist ratio thing with me, then after some mild tut tutting she passed me fit for duty, BMI 28.5. Trouble is, as a guard you will inevitably put weight on if you don't actively exercise or diet. Guards get ample eating opportunity and minimal exercise, I reckon TOC's don't want their guards starting with too much on them only to get even bigger!

Si_leeds

Yeah I've worked in a leisure centre for ten years and used to use the gym 4 times a week but after having our daughter I couldn't find the time. The plan is once I'm on my shifts il join somewhere as she's starting nursery in september so exercise won't be a problem
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone following post I thought I'd let you know I passed fine with a Dmitry of 36 and 145 / 90 blood pressure.
I start on Monday :)

RBSN

Yeah I've worked in a leisure centre for ten years and used to use the gym 4 times a week but after having our daughter I couldn't find the time. The plan is once I'm on my shifts il join somewhere as she's starting nursery in september so exercise won't be a problem
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone following post I thought I'd let you know I passed fine with a Dmitry of 36 and 145 / 90 blood pressure.
I start on Monday :)

Congrats mate. I'm hoping for a medical date

Trouble is, as a guard you will inevitably put weight on if you don't actively exercise or diet. Guards get ample eating opportunity and minimal exercise, I reckon TOC's don't want their guards starting with too much on them only to get even bigger!

You'll get fat if you sit on your arse in the back cab eating Greggs steak bakes and other crap all the time, yes... but from my POV as a conductor, I do a lot of walking (to/from trains, on the train etc) and that actually counts for quite a lot excercise wise.

Si_leeds

You'll get fat if you sit on your arse in the back cab eating Greggs steak bakes and other crap all the time, yes... but from my POV as a conductor, I do a lot of walking (to/from trains, on the train etc) and that actually counts for quite a lot excercise wise.

As well as using your core to keep your balance whilst moving along the train.

I've spent nearly ten years sat on my lifeguarding and I've done OK haha

Status
Not open for further replies.