• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductors (manchester picc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geordie-bri

Hi guys,

No worries, I'm just suprised they've put something in so quickly!

My app is for the same position and still shows up as under consideration. Did you get an email or letter confirming the invite?

Cheers,

B

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train1992

Hi Geordie,

I believe isn't because is also confirming something on a Friday...inviting someone for an assessment day after few days...as I have said, I don't know but I think is may be a different application he's referring to

MP 199, As I have already stated this is for the Manchester Piccadily vacancy that became available less than two weeks ago. Are you finding this difficult to understand?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes Geordie- Bri, I have received an email confirming my invite

Have you checked your bulk mail?

If the message is on the careers page with your application then do the tests. As you have stated they give you 48 hours to do so.

You will have some practice question which you can run through as many times as you want.Thanks Aivilo took your advice and did the numerical test which I passed. Then took the verbal which I found pretty tough. Didn't manage to answer all the questions. I guess it's just a waiting game now..

I wouldn't personally pass up the opportunity
Thanks Aivilo. Took your advice and passed the numerical test. I then did the verbal today which was hard and I didn't manage to answer all the questions. I also scored badly in the practice. My application is now under review so I guess it's a waiting game now..

RSTurbo50

My application is still under consideration and I took the assessment last Wednesday. Looks like those that have reached the grade have been invited to Manchester whilst the rest of us are awaiting the rejection email.

Robinson1493

Hello Guys,

I have applied for a trainee conductor position at Middlesbrough and have been shortlisted through to the next stage. Can anyone tell what the mathematics questions entail? I should be ok with this but would be grateful for a heads up.

Cheers:D

jindivik

The online maths test was based a lot on percentages, working from data in tables "what was the percentage increase between XXX and XXX" .... Things like that

Train1992

Anyone attend the assessment day in Manchester either Tuesday or Wednesday? If so, how did it go?

Hi,

The distance you have to be from your station is 60 minutes. I live in middelton and am based in piccadilly. I don't have my own car and if necessary get a taxi to and from work if I'm on am early or a late. People i know who live in Walkden ride there bike in to work.

So providing your friend is willing to make the effort getting in and loves within an hours commute from the station she will be fine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Providing we've been successful it should be an invitation to one of Northern Rail's assessment days, set up very much like knockout stages. You'll be taken through a bit of role play i think, ticket checking and selling exercises, the Group Bourdon & SCAAT tests. If you're unsuccessful at any point they take you aside and you're asked to leave. Good i suppose, it would be gutting to sit through the whole day only to find out you had failed the first part :) if all is successful you will then have a structured interview with the assessor and a manager, get through that and then i think there is one more interview with a conductor manager.

The interview process is just a faceto face interview and a group interview where you discuss something you would change and they see how you interact with the others. You don't do anyou bourdon or SCAAT tests

Train1992

Just heard back regarding the Piccadilly vacancy this morning. Received the good news that I have passed and due to start in January, subject to the medical of course. Anybody else heard back from Northern regarding this vacancy?

Suraggu

Just heard back regarding the Piccadilly vacancy this morning. Received the good news that I have passed and due to start in January, subject to the medical of course. Anybody else heard back from Northern regarding this vacancy?

Congratulations.
Can you inform us on how your assessment day went including what tests you did?

Train1992

Hi Suraggu, thanks.

The first part of the assessment day was a competency based interview with 2 managers. Very relaxed environment with questions relating to the company and what I thought the role of a conductor is. Then onto giving examples of certain situations I had faced in either work, education or my personal life. Eg. "Describe a time where you have had to meet a deadline"

The second part of the assessment day was the group exercise where between 8 candidates we had to discuss the service northern provided and how they could improve and present this to the managers in an informal manner.

There was no tests on the day, just the numeracy and online verbal reasoning beforehand.

Potato185

Hello all,

Sorry for not popping in sooner. I'm currently a guard based at Piccadilly with Northern and thought I could maybe answer a few questions should anyone have any. I'm surprised 'anorthernguard' hasn't popped his head up. I'll have words with him ;)

The earliest start is 0407 and latest finish is 0215. They seem scary, but you get used to them eventually. Shift lengths range from 6hrs to 10hrs and can take you all over the place.

For those who may not know, the current routes signed by Piccadilly guards are:
- Hadfield
- Rose Hill via Hyde Central
- Sheffield via Marple
- Sheffield via Hazel Grove
- Stoke-on-Trent
- Crewe via Stockport
- Crewe via Manchester Airport
- Chester via Altrincham
- Liverpool via Warrington

Other links at the depot also include Buxton, but you don't learn that until you've been at the depot for a while. Drivers weirdly sign Preston via Bolton too, but guards don't.

Traction, for those who know a bit or two about it, include:
- 150/1
- 150/2

Unfortunately I can't comment much on the recruitment process as I was on the last lot to be done on a previous scheme. However, I'll be able to help with interview/SCAAT assessment questions hopefully.

Aivilo

Never one to ask but interview questions would help. Assume they're similar across the board and a friend has an interview for gateline and conductor coming up.

Potato185

Never one to ask but interview questions would help. Assume they're similar across the board and a friend has an interview for gateline and conductor coming up.

They certainly are mate. Usually they'll ask you to provide an example of when you provided excellent customer service, dealt with a difficult scenario, worked well as a team etc. Doing your research pays off. They'll want to know what you know about the depot you've applied for, what the company's values are, who the MD is, what the future plans are (eg new trains, new routes, refurbished trains etc).

Aivilo

Excellent.

Generally advised the same but I'm an old hand so nice to have a fresh perspective

Train1992

Hi Potato185,

Thanks for the info, I cant wait to get started in January. Just a few questions for you if it's no bother?

Firstly, is the training 9-5 Monday-Friday, or does it run as your shifts would?

Secondly, what is the pay for Sunday shifts? Normal time? Or is there a Sunday premium?

Lastly, do you find that there is regular overtime available if it's wanted?

Thanks.

theanalogkid

got my online assessments to do with Northern for the Trainee Conductor role at Middlesbrough.

these seem a bit tough!

Suraggu

got my online assessments to do with Northern for the Trainee Conductor role at Middlesbrough.

these seem a bit tough!

I just completed mine. What I thought was odd was the numerical ability test, I passed that and then the dreaded verbal reasoning test appeared on the careers portal. That one is tough in my opinion and now my application is under consideration.

theanalogkid

surragu,

Sadly i failed the numerical test,so my application will not be processed.got to wait another six months.I find it a bit odd to undertake these as my SCAAT and RAAT are still in date.Each TOC to their own I guess when it comes to recruitment.

Best of Luck with yours!

All the best!

Suraggu

surragu,

Sadly i failed the numerical test,so my application will not be processed.got to wait another six months.I find it a bit odd to undertake these as my SCAAT and RAAT are still in date.Each TOC to their own I guess when it comes to recruitment.

Best of Luck with yours!

All the best!

Cheers bud,
The thing with these numerical ability and Verbal Reasoning tests online is a way for the companies to sift through the sheer amount of applications.
I would say around 10 years ago, you sent your application in by post and you were either invited to the Conductor test/Structured interview and SCAAT & RAAT tests or you were not.

With the advent of technology they can do these assessments to get through the sheer amount of applicants.

Potato185

Hi Potato185,

Thanks for the info, I cant wait to get started in January. Just a few questions for you if it's no bother?

Firstly, is the training 9-5 Monday-Friday, or does it run as your shifts would?

Secondly, what is the pay for Sunday shifts? Normal time? Or is there a Sunday premium?

Lastly, do you find that there is regular overtime available if it's wanted?

Thanks.

Not at all pal! Happy to help.

Training starts off being 0900-1600 on a Monday to Friday basis. As you get deeper into the training, they'll start to vary and include Saturdays. But that's a while off yet.

I've got a feeling the pay is slightly different for us as my basic is £26.6k but I noticed on the applications yours are listed at £25.9k. Still, normal rate is £14.60 with Sundays at 1.25x rate so that's £18.25 an hour. Jobs on Sundays are quite long too averaging at about 9hrs. Drivers get 2 hours on top of their normal rate on Sundays and get a whopping £35 an hour for rest day work! Alright for some...

Rest day work is always admired. It's at normal rates unless it's a Sunday of which most people try and get for obvious reasons. What you'll need to be careful is that if you want to work a rest day Mon-Sat, you make yourself AVAILABLE to work. However as Sundays aren't part of our working week (hence different pay), you have to make your rest days UNAVAILABLE. I've been caught out a few times. It'll all be explained clearly (hopefully) once you get to depot.

There's always spare turns available so there's always RDW available.

Last edited:

Train1992

Thanks Potato185, that's a great insight. It l sounds like there's good opportunity to increase your salary on top of the £26k basic.

Here's hoping all goes well with my medical and final formalities and I can't wait to get started.

Potato185

There certainly is mate. It's one of those jobs where you make it as hard or as easy as you like. Those with kids tend to try and get rid of their Sunday jobs so makes it easier for those like myself to get the days in.

Best of luck pal. Maybe see you on depot one day.

Just out of interest, who did your interviews?

Train1992

Thanks a lot pal. It was Gary Stanton, and Mark, not sure of his second name though. Both seemed like top blokes. They Made the whole interview process pretty relaxed for myself.

Potato185

Ahhh excellent. Big boss Gary is a brilliant chap. Not sure who Mark is. Possibly a Victoria manager?

Potato185

Young chap? Sounds like Mark Jones. Only recently become a manager there as he was once a gripper at Picc with me and grumpy so-and-so (aka "ANorthernGuard") haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.