• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductors (manchester picc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not wanting to put a dampener on anyone's progress, but I wonder if the RMT Union's memo on Thurs re-the company's announcement on future of conductors will affect current recruitment at Northern. Wouldn't put it past HR doing a u-turn stating 'subject to change in business requirements'. May be looking into things too much just yet.

Train1992

Not wanting to put a dampener on anyone's progress, but I wonder if the RMT Union's memo on Thurs re-the company's announcement on future of conductors will affect current recruitment at Northern. Wouldn't put it past HR doing a u-turn stating 'subject to change in business requirements'. May be looking into things too much just yet.

I hope this doesn't mean those that have passed the assessment day, and are waiting on the January starts, like myself, will lose our place haha

Established Member
Doubt it will stop the recruitment, more likely change the job role or slim possibility alter their timeline. Very early days yet :)

JetStream

Could anyone tell me if I was not successful would Northern let me know?

Kind Regards

They usually do, but the initial application said 2-4 weeks. Maybe email after this week? I probably will I think, although no-one I know who's applied has heard anything.

Train1992

I had my interview two weeks ago today and heard that I had passed the assessment day last Monday and they would confirm the January start dates shortly. Does anyone have any idea how long they generally take to confirm the start dates?

Thanks

Suraggu

I just received an email stating although I passed the online tests their were others who had skills more akin to the role so they will not be progressing my application any further.

So 10 years in Customer facing roles in the railway industry is not enough...

Jonno6699

Same here.

We would like to thank you for your application to us here at Northern, and for completing the online verbal and numerical assessment.

Though you did meet the standard we were looking for on the online tests, the vacancy attracted a high volume of applicants and on this occasion we feel that other people are a closer match to the requirements of this particular role. Therefore we are unable to progress your application any further at this stage.

Due to the volume of applications we are unable to offer individual feedback.

We would like to thank you for your interest in the role, and in working for us at Northern.

We wish you the best of luck in your future career,

Kind regards

The Recruitment Team
[email protected]

Dez243

Hi all , I am in a similar position, passed the interview in August and have been placed in the talent pool. The conductor position was in Carlisle and the vacancy has been advertised again last week. I am hoping I am still in with a chance of being chosen from the talent pool but am concerned as my application only lasts six months. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Train1992

Hi all , I am in a similar position, passed the interview in August and have been placed in the talent pool. The conductor position was in Carlisle and the vacancy has been advertised again last week. I am hoping I am still in with a chance of being chosen from the talent pool but am concerned as my application only lasts six months. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Has Northern said directly that you are in a 'talent pool'. All I have been told since I passed the interview was 'Well done, and we will be in touch shortly regarding the January start dates once they are confirmed'

I hope this means I am going to hear positive news from them in the very near future.

Dez243

Received email a week after interview saying, congratulations you passed the interview and although not successful this time you will be placed in the talent pool for a place on a future course. I believe the next trainee course is Jan but no news yet. I don't want to contact HR too often trying to find out info. On the website my status is under consideration. Which station have you applied for ?.

Train1992

Mine was Piccadilly but the email Ireceived didn't mention a talent pool, just said they would be in touch regarding the January course once they confirmed start dates. I'm assuming that means I will be on that course, I hope haha

Last edited:

Established Member
Applied for the Piccadilly job and still haven't heard anything about it!!

They did have an assessment for Man Picc some weeks ago - see earlier posts. My understanding is they recently started to leave (unsuccessful) applications live to prevent candidates applying for other traincrew jobs advertised at other locations (ie they ask do you have any other active applications for traincrew? as a deselection question) preventing two applications thus reducing their workload.

Ive recently passed the assessment day and need some advice.

I was advised that they are no vacancies at the minute but hopefully roles should be available early 2017 - Jan/Feb. Does anyone if Jan/Feb is a likely date? Also could I be waiting for months to find I wont have a job at the end of it?

I do have a medical next week and see this as a positive thing or is this just part of the process with no guaranteed outcome?
yorkshirelad01 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Potato185

Guessing you're for Piccadilly mate? If so, then I know for sure they're running a course in February. Fingers crossed you get a position.

Train1992

I thought the Piccadilly course was due to start in January? I'm still waiting to hear back from Northern regarding start dates.

This is the email I received following my assessment:

"Thank you for attending an assessment centre for the above role. I am very pleased to say you did really well and passed, well done!

As mentioned in the advert, these positions are for the 2017 plan. We are just waiting for confirmation of the January start dates and will be in touch shortly to discuss start dates.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Northern Recruitment Team"

Last edited:
Guessing you're for Piccadilly mate? If so, then I know for sure they're running a course in February. Fingers crossed you get a position.
Cheers mate. It's Leeds I applied for, hopefully they'll have a course in Jan/Feb. I'm hoping having the medical is a good sign.

carbers255

I've had an e-mail on Manchester roles today which said "Congratulations, you have met the standard we are looking for" I have not yet had an assessment day or interview and read the previous thread that Northern deliberately put candidates on hold to prevent them from applying again and have multiple applications.
I rang Northern directly and was blunt and open about their recruitment policy and whether this was the case or not. A really nice woman said that they are recruiting for Spring 2017, therefore you won't hear back until January 2017 when they start deciding on who goes forward for those assessment days. Anyone who has an application still under consideration then remain positive and be wary of what is posted on threads.

Geordie-bri

I've had an e-mail on Manchester roles today which said "Congratulations, you have met the standard we are looking for" I have not yet had an assessment day or interview and read the previous thread that Northern deliberately put candidates on hold to prevent them from applying again and have multiple applications.
I rang Northern directly and was blunt and open about their recruitment policy and whether this was the case or not. A really nice woman said that they are recruiting for Spring 2017, therefore you won't hear back until January 2017 when they start deciding on who goes forward for those assessment days. Anyone who has an application still under consideration then remain positive and be wary of what is posted on threads.

Ah, beat me to it! Just had the same email myself :)

There may be some truth in some of the posts about recruitment freezes (would make sense why the jobs dont start until Spring), but that old railway recruitment system is still just as glacially slow as always!

B

RSTurbo50

Iv also had a reply today stating Iv met the required standard. I'm absolutely delighted. Email states they will be back in touch in January with a course starting in Spring. In truth I had thought my chance had gone..

jamess

What about that eccentric chap, Robinson. is he still at Piccadilly?

carbers255

Good luck. Still doesn't mean that we'll get selected for assessment days tho. It'll depend on our scores and percentile I guess.
Has anybody had a rejection e-mail about these vacancies if your application has been under consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.