• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Connect - original plans vs. what actually happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
So as far as Nottingham to Bradford is concerned, do we know if
a) The Bradford extension
and/or
b) Re-routing via Wakefield Westgate
are abandoned or just delayed or we just don't know?

Djgr

Established Member
Looking again, although the Northern Connect page is easy to find via Google, I can't find it on the Northern website. For some reason?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Looking again, although the Northern Connect page is easy to find via Google, I can't find it on the Northern website. For some reason?
As you say, Northern appears to have removed the link to the Northern Connect page from its homepage. It also is not shown in can still be found by delving into the third level of the sitemap (see post #42 below)

I would hazard a guess that this is because OLR will not be bound by the terms of the Arriva franchise agreement, including Northern Connect services. Therefore customers could potentially be misled if the website continued to imply that there is still a plan to introduce the Connect brand and to implement all the services listed on the Connect webpage.

Last edited:

YorksDMU

I’ve just looked at the sitemap. I clicked on Travel. Northern Connect is last on the list. I hope that helps.

Djgr

Established Member
As you say, Northern appears to have removed the link to the Northern Connect page from its homepage. It also is not shown in can still be found by delving into the third level of the sitemap (see post #42 below)

I would hazard a guess that this is because OLR will not be bound by the terms of the Arriva franchise agreement, including Northern Connect services. Therefore customers could potentially be misled if the website continued to imply that there is still a plan to introduce the Connect brand and to implement all the services listed on the Connect webpage.

On not least because it states that it will be complete by December 2019!

Wharfe106

So as far as Nottingham to Bradford is concerned, do we know if
a) The Bradford extension
and/or
b) Re-routing via Wakefield Westgate
are abandoned or just delayed or we just don't know?
The Nottingham-Bradford service is abandoned, at least for now, because the franchise is ending and thus new funding needs to be agreed before any new services can begin - other matters like paths and rolling stock excluded. There was never going to be a 're-routing' of the via Barnsley service, there was to have been a brand new, faster service Nottingham-Leeds via Westgate... whether it is revived and goes to Bradford, only Leeds or even Carlisle, is another matter for DfT/TfN/new operator.

XC victim

By now Bradford was supposed to have direct services to Liverpool, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Airport, Sheffield, Nottingham and a two hourly LNER service to Kings Cross. None of them appear any closer to happening.

but at least there are the new services to Hull and Chester

YorksLad12

Established Member
Aren't the LNER Bradford extensions coming in May? Some issue with platforms at Forster Square to be resolved, I think.

And yes, Bradford - Nottingham via Westgate was to be a new service, alongside Leeds - Sheffield and Leeds - Sheffield - Lincoln, both via Kirkgate and Barnsley. Two fasts (one XC), two semi-fasts, two stoppers.

duffield

Established Member
There was never going to be a 're-routing' of the via Barnsley service, there was to have been a brand new, faster service Nottingham-Leeds via Westgate... whether it is revived and goes to Bradford, only Leeds or even Carlisle, is another matter for DfT/TfN/new operator.
Purely from the Nottingham to Leeds point of view, surely it was a 're-routing'? AFAIK there was no plan to keep the Nottingham to Leeds via Barnsley service as well?

geoffk

Established Member
Although not Northern, maybe worth mentioning TPE's Manchester - Wakefield Kirkgate service from May, which will revive a former Northern service. Although I guess it's as much to do with removing terminating trains from Hudderfield as a desire to link Manchester with Wakefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.