• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Delay Repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Rather excitingly I get to claim delay repay for the first time ever today (my what a sad life I lead!) as the 0805 from New Mills Central to Piccadilly arrived 35 late. Now being an avid spotter I quite like the idea of ‘Compensation of one single ticket to anywhere on the Northern network’ from them.

Questions that arise as a first time claimant (I couldn’t locate this information on the website, sadly):

1. As a season ticket holder, which ‘ticket number’ do I give them, the one on my photocard?
  2. In the ‘Cost of ticket’ field I assume I will put the monthly cost of my GM Traincard?
  3. As a season ticket holder can I claim a free single ticket as noted above?
  4. Is this ticket likely to be one only valid on Northern services, or via any permitted?
  5. How does the process of selecting the date and destination for this ticket work?

Any help with the above greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
4 - Valid on Northern services only, probably valid any route as long as you don't double back on yourself (for example you could probably go from York to Darlington via Manchester/Preston/Cumbrian Coast/Newcastle/Thornaby)
5 - You write on the card, the date of travel, the departure & destination

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
1. The one on your photocard is linked to your account, which Northern will have access to if you bought the ticket from them. However, the number on the ticket is the one they actually want, as it includes (hidden) details like the purchase location etc and means no two people can submit a claim for the same ticket.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, season tickets are not excluded from Northern's 'free ticket' scheme.
4. Northern services only. Includes services with TPE or DRS branding but operated by Northern, for example the Windermeres or Barrows.
5. There are spaces to fill in the details. See attachment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 58

Francis

Slightly different but related topic.
Why can Northern simply refuse any Delay Repay if you are using a Ranger or Day Rover ticket.
Earlier last year I had a Cumbria Ranger for the day. On the loco hauled 1138 Barrow to Carlisle we suffered engine failure south of Ravenglass. We were eventually dragged back to Millom by the rear loco, and decanted into the hour later dmu which had also been badly delayed. It in turn was terminated at Workington, so we finally arrived in Carlisle two hours late. I had to scotch my planned excursion on the Ravenglass and Eskdale.
I was an hour later going south on the Settle and Carlisle than planned, so having missed the last train over the Little NW Hellifield to Lancaster, I had to go to Skipton, catch a bus to Colne and pay a Colne Preston single.
Then when I tried to claim for the delay, the NR website simply said it was not possible.
How come you can get delay repay on Advance tickets, which are sometimes 75% off the normal price, but not for Rangers when your whole day out plans have been messed up? OK, I could understand them wanting a guard's note on your ticket certifying the delay, but it is unfair that they simply refuse any compensation outright.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can claim for a delay on a Ranger/Rover ticket. On the other hand, the amount of compensation due is an issue without consensus.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Why can Northern simply refuse any Delay Repay if you are using a Ranger or Day Rover ticket.
Earlier last year I had a Cumbria Ranger for the day. On the loco hauled 1138 Barrow to Carlisle we suffered engine failure south of Ravenglass. We were eventually dragged back to Millom by the rear loco, and decanted into the hour later dmu which had also been badly delayed. It in turn was terminated at Workington, so we finally arrived in Carlisle two hours late. I had to scotch my planned excursion on the Ravenglass and Eskdale.
I was an hour later going south on the Settle and Carlisle than planned, so having missed the last train over the Little NW Hellifield to Lancaster, I had to go to Skipton, catch a bus to Colne and pay a Colne Preston single.
Then when I tried to claim for the delay, the NR website simply said it was not possible.
How come you can get delay repay on Advance tickets, which are sometimes 75% off the normal price, but not for Rangers when your whole day out plans have been messed up? OK, I could understand them wanting a guard's note on your ticket certifying the delay, but it is unfair that they simply refuse any compensation outright.

You can claim for a delay on a Ranger/Rover ticket. On the other hand, the amount of compensation due is an issue without consensus.

If it was last year then different compensation rules applied and delay repay was not in operation in the last franchise.

It is perfectly possible to get delay repay using promotional tickets or rovers. I got delay repay for both outward and return legs of a journey over the summer using the £10 newspaper voucher tickets. I asked for a single for each leg, which I got, as the compensation amount was not worth anything and the single tickets were far better value.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Where does it say it is not possible?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Be warned that you may find yourself waiting quite a while for the compensation. On repeated occasions I have had to ring them up to chase up my delay repay application that I had not heard anything from even after the 28 days. Furthermore I get the impression that the Carillion run `Customer Experience Center` are under staffed,frequently I have had to wait in excess of 30 minutes for someone to answer my call, when I get through I normally get the excuse that it is next in line to be dealt with or they are waiting for someone to sign the cheques, I`m not surprised that there is a backlog with cheques when they are being sent out hand written!
Sam

palmersears

Established Member
Thank you all for your help, claim submitted! I'll pencil in a trip to use the complimentary pass in 2018 :lol:

greatkingrat

Established Member
Maybe we need a new scheme - Delay Repay Delay Repay, where if it takes more than 30 days to send out your Delay Repay, you can claim an additional 50%!

les.

The last time I claimed a delay repay from Northern Rail after a train broke down and delayed us by an hour, we were sent 2 free day passes for Northern Rail services.

We did put them to good use though as we used them to do the Northern trains real ale trail. (Dewsbury, Batley, Stalybridge, Slaithwaite etc)

As a season ticket holder though, I doubt that would be of much use to you. :D

Francis

Where does it say it is not possible?

It was on the Northern Rail website where you could submit a claim for being delayed. As soon as you pressed the button saying that your ticket was a day Ranger or Rover, it informed you that no delay repay was possible.

But as someone has pointed out above, since this happened last year (2015) it was under the old Northern franchise, so it's helpful to know that under the new franchise delays on Ranger /Rover tickets can now be claimed for. Thanks for the good news.

trainophile

Established Member
Be warned that you may find yourself waiting quite a while for the compensation. On repeated occasions I have had to ring them up to chase up my delay repay application that I had not heard anything from even after the 28 days. Furthermore I get the impression that the Carillion run `Customer Experience Center` are under staffed,frequently I have had to wait in excess of 30 minutes for someone to answer my call, when I get through I normally get the excuse that it is next in line to be dealt with or they are waiting for someone to sign the cheques, I`m not surprised that there is a backlog with cheques when they are being sent out hand written!
Sam

28 days? I've been waiting since August for 3 of my claims to be processed :lol:

Thank you! I thought it was just me. I had a two hour delay in the middle of October, sent off the claim form and tickets immediately the next day, and have still heard nothing. Today I gave up on hoping my emails would be replied to, and rang their customer services number. I held on for 30 minutes before I could no longer stand the plinky plonk repeated "musak", and was losing the will to live. I have now completed an online Complaints form, and received the usual automated reply, assuring me that... "We assure you that all enquiries will be responded to and will not be ignored."

Come on Northern, buck your ideas up <( .

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thank you! I thought it was just me. I had a two hour delay in the middle of October, sent off the claim form and tickets immediately the next day, and have still heard nothing. Today I gave up on hoping my emails would be replied to, and rang their customer services number. I held on for 30 minutes before I could no longer stand the plinky plonk repeated "musak", and was losing the will to live. I have now completed an online Complaints form, and received the usual automated reply, assuring me that... "We assure you that all enquiries will be responded to and will not be ignored."

Come on Northern, buck your ideas up <( .
Well, I just rang Northern and apparently they've been 'sent out'. I haven't received them.

It might be worth you doing the same.

trainophile

Established Member
Well, I just rang Northern and apparently they've been 'sent out'. I haven't received them.

It might be worth you doing the same.

Have you got an alternative number to the 0800 one published? Life is too short to hold on fruitlessly for half a day, with racket playing in my ear!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Have you got an alternative number to the 0800 one published? Life is too short to hold on fruitlessly for half a day, with racket playing in my ear!
I don't, but I was only on hold for 3 minutes - I rang at 18:30. They are apparently available 24/7 so try ringing in the evening :)

Status
Not open for further replies.