• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Delay Repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
On Monday I caught the 1714 Northern train from Manchester Oxford Road that was 50 minutes late into Preston. I bought my ticket using the VT phone app and forgot to ask for a paper ticket.

The Northern website says that mobile tickets are only refundable if bought using their app but if I had got a paper ticket I could have scanned it and got a single journey voucher . If I claim from VT I'll get 50% of the single journey fare.

I thought TOCs were responsible for compensating their own delays, is this another example of Northern bending the rules to suit them?

EDIT: I've just looked on the VT app and they redirect to their website with no obvious way to claim a delay repay refund from them either! If I enter Manchester Oxford Road as the starting station it tells me they don't recognise it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Delay repay does not count as a refund for rail-ticketing purposes, so you should be using the delay-repay application form on the Northern site, not the refund pages.

snail

Established Member
I was referring to the delay repay form in my post. That's why I want to claim a Northern voucher instead of getting 50% compensation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On Monday I caught the 1714 Northern train from Manchester Oxford Road that was 50 minutes late into Preston. I bought my ticket using the VT phone app and forgot to ask for a paper ticket.

The Northern website says that mobile tickets are only refundable if bought using their app but if I had got a paper ticket I could have scanned it and got a single journey voucher .
You did make the journey so a refund does not apply.

To claim Delay Repay compensation, include evidence (ie. a screenshot/photograph) of the fare paid. If that happens to be on an app, then include a screenshot from the app.
If I claim from VT I'll get 50% of the single journey fare.
As you travelled with Northern, VT are not liable to compensate you.
I thought TOCs were responsible for compensating their own delays, is this another example of Northern bending the rules to suit them?
Northern are obliged to compensate you under Delay Repay.
EDIT: I've just looked on the VT app and they redirect to their website with no obvious way to claim a delay repay refund from them either! If I enter Manchester Oxford Road as the starting station it tells me they don't recognise it.
I'm not sure I'd expect a Virgin app to provide a function for submitting a Delay Repay claim from Northern. You'd need to use the Northern website, I'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.