• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Depot Driver - West Allerton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kevied

Hi, to operate trains on national lines you must be over the age of 21, the only exception is on the London underground where you need to be over 18 or over

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Depot drivers at most locations don't go onto Network Rail infrastructure though, so that standard might not apply. Definitely worth checking with their HR people...you never know!

Kevied

I work at Heaton Depot and the minimum age is 21 because Northern don't actually own the depot, the track etc. Is maintened by Network Rail. I'd still check with HR but I'm sure that's how Northern operate, they don't own any rail (or much of it anyway) and they lease the rail and rolling stock I'm sure. Still, check with HR I guess... I think it's mostly like freight depots that operate on their own tracks and stuff but hey ho I'm a newbie what do I know ?????? I'm just guessing based on my experience

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't know either way, to be honest. There's definitely a distinction between the land and infrastructure that Network Rail own, and the infrastructure that they're responsible for operating. There's a chance that depot drivers at a location where they never go past the outlet signal (and therefore don't need a European licence?) wouldn't be subject to a minimum age of 21, but TOCs might still decide that it's necessary. Definitely worth a call to check!

Status
Not open for further replies.