• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Driver Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreacleMiller

Do you know how long you are on the training salary for Rich? Before going to the 38k year 1 salary.

It's quite the drop for me too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

Do you know how long you are on the training salary for Rich? Before going to the 38k year 1 salary.

It's quite the drop for me too.
should be qualified at end of 1st year, depending on your driver trainer etc.
2nd year is now around 43/44k I’ve been reliable informed

TreacleMiller

That I understand, but I can't see that a training course is a year long?

It might be, in which case forgive my ignorance but thats a collosal amount of time even when compared with similar critical roles.

richfoz84

That I understand, but I can't see that a training course is a year long?

It might be, in which case forgive my ignorance but thats a collosal amount of time even when compared with similar critical roles.
Class room training 17 weeks, then with a driver trainer for however long. On their shift pattern. I can imagine it could be upto year, most people will probably fail a few
Bits then have to re visit them

Aivilo

If your going to Vic prepare for more than 12 months. Money goes up regardless after 12 months to £43198 (currently)

Fixie

After you have passed your course and been assessed and verified you will have to do other depot training.
Traction conversions
Principles of route learning
4 hours main line driving with a manager
Also, getting used to the depot, the type of work you’ll be doing, the terminology and going out with drivers, getting used to the geography of your routes and experiencing what happens when something goes wrong.
You then join the long list of trainee drivers waiting for an instructor and that will be around six months.
So, after 4 months training, 6 months waiting for an instructor, 5 months-ish to be signed off as a fully qualified driver, you can see it is well over a year to become a driver.
Even then you will still be assessed as a new driver for a further 2 years,
On the positive side your pay goes up every 12 months, regardless, for 3 years.
By the way it is a great job, great colleagues, the best training you can get and we’ll rewarded.
Good luck!

TreacleMiller

Thanks all, really useful info.

I'm used to a much faster paced industry so this is all good to know.

Regarding waiting for an instructor.... If you're waiting for 6 months what exactly does one do?

Fixie

Keep busy by being proactive, getting out there with qualified drivers, keeping on top of your knowledge and gaining new knowledge
There’s plenty to keep busy with and this will eventually make you a better driver.

Louby

Thanks all, really useful info.

I'm used to a much faster paced industry so this is all good to know.

Regarding waiting for an instructor.... If you're waiting for 6 months what exactly does one do?
be prepared for a culture shock , nothing moves fast or is organised on the railway , probably send you out front ending for a bit, depends on depot really

Aivilo

Piccadilly is a pretty efficient depot. You shouldntnsit idle to long. Vic and other west depots are a different kettle of fish. Don't let it get to you, use your time wisely and keep your knowledge up

Llama

Established Member
Keep busy by being proactive, getting out there with qualified drivers, keeping on top of your knowledge and gaining new knowledge
There’s plenty to keep busy with and this will eventually make you a better driver.
Exactly this. If you don't take responsibility for your own competence you'll struggle.

Jiggymac

Hi, just wondered if anyone is in the same boat as myself. I applied beginning of January and have been application in process since the closing date. Still not heard anything either positive or negative other than the admin e-mail to allow an additional 2 weeks which have now elapsed.
Just a little worried i may get lost in a pile of paper somewhere with the transfer on Sunday.

Thanks

jesus

Hi, just wondered if anyone is in the same boat as myself. I applied beginning of January and have been application in process since the closing date. Still not heard anything either positive or negative other than the admin e-mail to allow an additional 2 weeks which have now elapsed.
Just a little worried i may get lost in a pile of paper somewhere with the transfer on Sunday.

Thanks
A couple of friends had the same email and have since had rejection emails - both on Tuesday. I got the admin email and then got an interview invite shortly after, and my application has gone back to ‘in process’ after the interview.

richfoz84

Thanks!

Preparation materials and a date/location will only be sent out one week before apparently. Quite awkward when it comes to taking time off work for it.
Yeah been in that situation myself mate. Just use the links on this forum and start practicing now to give you the best shot

Seehof

I have never heard of anybody waiting six months for an “instructor” - seems I was lucky with my experience with Northern.

Aivilo

I have never heard of anybody waiting six months for an “instructor” - seems I was lucky with my experience with Northern.

The norm at alot of the west depots. I've a friend who's 16 months in so far and no nearer to being passed out (no fault of her own)

Louby

vic have just recruited 10 new instructors, once they pass out things should improve, but at the min it's a min of 6 months wait

WCMLaddict

I've seen the names of new instructors. 2-3 deserving people and the rest... scraping the bottom of the barrel comes to mind.

Good luck to new trainees, they will really need it to be able to pass out..

Efini92

Established Member
I've seen the names of new instructors. 2-3 deserving people and the rest... scraping the bottom of the barrel comes to mind.

I’m starting at Victoria in April, which are the good instructors and which are the ones to avoid?

Louby

agree

19pop

Recently sat psychometrics and yesterday received a pass so just waiting on a medical now. Was certain I'd fluffed the MMI.

I've already passed a medical for my PTS last year. Is the driver's medical the same standard and therefore be transferable/a measure that I'll pass the driver's one? I don't envisage any issues with the medical but would obviously be gutted for something I'm unaware of to crop up.

Efini92

Established Member
Recently sat psychometrics and yesterday received a pass so just waiting on a medical now. Was certain I'd fluffed the MMI.

I've already passed a medical for my PTS last year. Is the driver's medical the same standard and therefore be transferable/a measure that I'll pass the driver's one? I don't envisage any issues with the medical but would obviously be gutted for something I'm unaware of to crop up.
I’m not sure what you’d have had on that but it’ll mostly be similar.
Eyesight
Hearing
ECG
Weight/bmi
Blood pressure
Diabetes
Drugs and alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.