• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern drivers Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

feliner

Have noticed that Northern are now inviting cvs from qualified drivers on their website and i am thinking of submitting one for Leeds depot. Does anyone have info, for shift patterns etc, are there any night turns for example.thanks in advance for any info,.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Have noticed that Northern are now inviting cvs from qualified drivers on their website and i am thinking of submitting one for Leeds depot. Does anyone have info, for shift patterns etc, are there any night turns for example.thanks in advance for any info,.

I'm not sure of the actual shift patterns but seeing as Leeds is a major station serving a lot of Northern's routes there is bound to be some early morning and late night shifts that you could be rostered onto.

westcoaster

Established Member

Not being a northern driver I would think there will be a good few nights shunting, fueling and tanking all those units at Neville hill depot.

KingBBoogaloo

I left Leeds two years ago and the state of play then was:

It is a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year depot. Earliest book on was 03:57 (MO) otherwise its 04:12. Latest book off was 01:12. Frost Protection on Christmas Day & Boxing Day was covered by volunteers. There are at least three night shifts per night, spread between all links except Link 1. No idea on Supernumerary but Link 3 had 10 night shifts split into two batches as 4/6 over 26 weeks, 2A had 4 over 22 weeks, 2B had 6 over 42 weeks, 2C had 6 split 3/3 over 40 weeks and 2D 6 over 40 weeks.

Link progression is:

Supernumerary, Link 3, Link 2 (split into A, B, C & D), Link 1. Harrogate and Huddersfield are Links of Leeds and vacancies at both are filled by applying for a vacancy and senior Driver wins.

Its was taking 2-3 years to get into the Link 2s and around 15 years to get into Link 1

Traction: Class 142, 144, 150, 153, 155, 158 & 333. All links except 2C&D sign 321/322s. Class 156s are falling of Drivers Tractions Cards as there is no 156 work at Leeds.

Routes:

Supernumerary spend there time learning Link 3s routes.
Link 3: Leeds to Skipton, Bradford Foster Square to Ilkley (The Triangle and core route at Leeds)
Leeds to Halifax via Bradford Interchange, Halifax to Manchester Victoria, Halifax to Huddersfield via Brighouse.
Leeds to Huddersfield via Morley.
Leeds to Castleford & Knottingley, Knottingley to Wakefield Kirkgate.
Wakefield Westgate/Wakefield Kirkgate to Mirfield via Healey Mills.
Neville Hill Depot.
Holbeck Depot.
Link 2A: As Link 3 plus Blackpool, Goole and York via Peckfield.
Link 2B: As Link 3 plus Doncaster, York via Peckfield and York via Harrogate
Link 2C: As Link 3 plus all ways to Sheffield, York via Peckfield and Blackpool
Link 2D: As Link 3 plus all ways to Sheffield, York via Peckfield and Nottingham
Link 1: All the above, minus Knottingley & Goole, plus Carlisle.

Leeds is a big depot and it overwhelms many, there are over 250+ Drivers and 9 Driver Managers to deal with. However its also a depot that's big enough for you to 'disappear of the radar'. Work varies more once in out of Link 3, you can have three different types of brake in one shift, spend a whole week on class 1 work, spend the next on nights then disappear into The Triangle the week after. Its a maximum of six days on and a min' of two days off, and every thing else in between. Some weeks you will work 14 hours, others 48 hours.

Most importantly of all the work at Leeds is 'safe' work, they have a pro-rail PTE which helps to ensure the Depot has plenty of work.

Send me your email address and I'll scan some old links I still have.

robby p

250+ drivers...wow that's huge! Sorry to hijack a thread but does anyone know much about Skipton depot?

KingBBoogaloo

Around 80 Drivers I think. They spend 90% of there time on class 333 bouncing around 'The Triangle'. The rest of the time its nights or the odd trip to Morecambe.

After about 10 years you get to go to Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.