northern ex LM 150s

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Tomonthetrain, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomonthetrain

Tomonthetrain Established Member

Hi all

Does anyone have the usual diagrams for the ex LM 150s at Northern for weekdays and Saturday's?

Tom

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. adamp

adamp Member

Impossible to get them on a usual diagram, they vary so much. Best bet is to get a schedule for the day of such unit. But i'm pretty sure that is usually obtained by people in 'the know'
    -Adam

4. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

I hope that they operate on the Manchester to Sheffield and Manchester to Buxton routes:D

5. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

Isn't the former mostly 142 territory?

6. 150222

150222 Member

Your half right. Manchester to sheffield is mostly 142's but they are not cleared to Buxton so that is 150/156 operated.

7. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

The former London Midland 150s will operate in the common NH 150 pool and will appear on any diagram they are able to. They don't have any 'regular' diagrams or routes so to speak, the 2 sets that have entered traffic have been popping up all over Lancashire and Manchester in the last week or so.

The ATW 150/2 has been allowed to wander off to places other than Clitheroe too unlike the previous ATW 150.

8. northernrail

northernrail Member

Can anyone say witch are at Newton Heath now, went past this morning and there looks at least one in.

9. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

Hence the reason I said the former ;)

10. driver9000

There are at least 8 ex LM 150s at Newton Heath. 150111,114 and 214 were the first to arrive, another rake followed them later that week formed of 150113,226,214,110 and 210. More to follow.

150111 and 114 are now in service to replace 156497 and 498 which have gone to EMT.

11. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

I think i missed all this somewhere i didnt realise the cascade to northern was starting! and therefore the cascade to EMT too.

When can we expect them all to be here by? and the pacers from FGW is that cascade going on too?

12. voyagerweb

voyagerweb Member

Travelled on one Friday afternoon huddersfield to Sheffield

13. YorkshireBear

ah i may have to get out and about and try and find some then. Maybe a little trip out tommorow. Shame im not in sheffield at the moment although im sure one will make it to leeds before long.

14. voyagerweb

voyagerweb Member

I also should add a much more comfortable ride than the 'usual' northern 150 in the morning.

15. Lampshade

Lampshade Established Member

Hardly surprising it ended up in Yorkshire very quickly :roll:

16. driver9000

No idea when other 150s are due to arrive at Northern other than the timetable change being the most often mentioned date.

142029 and 064 were returned to Newton Heath from Exeter on Friday.

17. YorkshireBear

.... yeah but only in a common 150 pool...... it wasnt a 4 car unit, im sure the 150 it replaced is back west of the pennines... there is usually at least 1 150 unit on huddersfield line.

Thanks for info about transfers. Well fingers crossed its all finished by timetable change.

Now we just need to wait for the DDA refurbs....

18. 150222

150222 Member

Sorry, I didn't see that bit :)

19. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

Has the 156497/498 (Ex Northern Rail) gone to East Midlands Trains?, Are ex Arriva Trains Northern or First North Western, I bet both of the 158 units that are used on the Matlock to Nottingham route have gone back to Liverpool to Norwich route or are they still using the 158's on the Matlock to Nottingham

20. WillPS

WillPS Established Member

156497/498 are at Derby Etches Park undergoing their pre-service checks and maintenance (apparently Northern sent them needing rather a lot of work!). As they have not yet entered service, I imagine the 158s are still trundling along to Matlock and back several times a day.

They are both ex Northern Spirit/ATN/Eastern units (with horrible Richmond seating and bugger all leg room).

Expect EMT to put on a song and dance when they get extra units on Nottingham - Liverpool - despite them being rather late and accepting a daft passenger usage indicator from the DfT.

21. I like Class 153

I like Class 153 Member

I hate ex ATN ones, it would be better if the 156 were ex FNW ones or if EMT had some of the LM 150 units

What do mean EMT will put on a song and dance when they get extra units on Nottingham to Liverpool?

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  22. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

I will have to admit a marked difference of opinion here: I think the former Northern Spirit 156s are the best of the entire class and I wish the seating fitted to them had been used more widely in other refurbishments. In my opinion the North West 156s are a poor comparison, though it is sad to see the Northern Spirit 156s looking so run down now.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    But that would create an unnecessary micro-fleet for EMT: Better for them to gain further examples of a unit type they already operate than a few examples of a one they currently don't.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  23. Lampshade

Lampshade Established Member

I agree entirely, the Richmond seating on the Northern Spirit ones are so much more comfortable. Only problem is they're wearing out now on some units and beginning to 'slope' downwards. It's particularly bad on 156486, which is missing tables and the seat squabs have actually detached in some cases.

24. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Yeah, many of the units are well and truly past their best now, which is unfortunate when in my opinion they were excellent when they were in good condition.

25. WillPS

This is the only experience I have of Richmonds. Chapman seating is much more durable.

26. 37372

37372 Member

They were renown for having little to no heating in winter so hopefully they're finally getting round to fixing that!

I saw a phot of 150114 on a SHF-HUD working the other day, it had Huddersfield on the blind but the old LM secondary blind was still in place below reading "Semi-Fast" :lol:

27. voyagerweb

voyagerweb Member

Currently semi slow with numerous speed restrictions. :D

28. Tomonthetrain

Tomonthetrain Established Member

Surprised it didn't display via Birmingham Snow Hill

29. Geeves

Geeves Member

The interiors maybe but why would Northern bother when they were being forced to send their best trains away anyway!! Over 350 man hours was spent on underfloor welding, new bogies, replacement gearboxes, final drives and other various underfloor equipment. 498 worked its final trips to Rochdale looking newer on the outside than it had for nearly 8 years!!

They even delayed refurbishing Northerns current 150's and 156s so they could these 156s up to scratch for EMT.

30. WillPS

Because the train doesn't belong to Northern/Serco/Abellio - it belongs to the ROSCO. Just because I've invested in the flat I rent doesn't mean I have the right to leave it trashed if I were to leave.

31. Geeves

Geeves Member

Im fully aware that the trains don't belong to Northern cheers!

You have to remember that Northern have been operating on bare bones for the vast majority of the franchise, so its quite difficult to take trains out for refurbishment with out short forming (or cancelling) a service somewhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.