• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern flash sale- 10p advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
I'm unable to find any 10p tickets (can anybody help?), need to have a proper look later.
see https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale

I bought a return for Leeds to Settle and Carlisle for 20p. If I search on Monday 9th September similar tickets are available on the 09:17 from Leeds that gets to Carlisle at 12:01. Then there is a return from 14:50 that gets back at 17:39.

I think the journey will need to be only on Northern trains.

Trackman

Established Member
thanks, I've put dates in for September, the 10ps are showing now.
edit- just read: between September 1 and September 30 only

bspahh

Established Member
You can also get a 10p fare from Nottingham to Carlisle, which is ~ 6 hours! However, I couldn't spot one that would allow a day trip. I don't like the idea of missing a train, and ending up having to buy a ticket at walk on prices for a long journey. As the saying goes ... Keep It Simple Stupid

Darandio

Established Member
Hmm, Redcar Central to Carlisle and back on Sunday 8th September for me and the lad for 30p. Decisions.

Decision made. :lol:

You saved £78.60 with Northern compared to buying your ticket at the station on the day of departure

Journey 1: Redcar Central to Carlisle (£0.15)

1 Adult(s) Full Fare @ £0.10
£0.10

1 Child(ren) Full Fare @ £0.05
£0.05

Journey 2: Carlisle to Redcar Central (£0.15)

1 Adult(s) Full Fare @ £0.10
£0.10
1 Child(ren) Full Fare @ £0.05
£0.05

Total booking cost £0.30

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Is the 5p/10p purely an accounting thing?

Delay repay would be interesting to claim on that ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This was the talk of my office today.

I assumed some sort of error.

Saperstein

Thanks.

I bought a Liverpool Lime Street to Preston return (issued as 2 singles) for 20p.

Collected them from one of the Virgin machines at Lime Street (Northern machine was in use and a q).

Tickets printed ok but it says only valid with reservations. The reservations did print but are unreadable.

Where do I stand (yes I know it’s only 20p but if I can’t rebook?).

Saperstein.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I bought a Liverpool Lime Street to Preston return (issued as 2 singles) for 20p.

Collected them from one of the Virgin machines at Lime Street (Northern machine was in use and a q).

Tickets printed ok but it says only valid with reservations. The reservations did print but are unreadable.

Saperstein.
Show them to the ticket office and see what they advise. I suspect it will be to just travel with them as is.

Darandio

Established Member
I wonder how many people take the option of having them posted and how much Northern lose from this.

gray1404

Established Member
Which VT TVM a Lime Street did you use? I have heard of this being a problem before with one of the TVMs printing things and them hardly being readable.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks.

Saperstein.
I'd suggest having the booking confirmation available, ie printed out or on your phone, for peace of mind.

Muenchener

I'm unable to find any 10p tickets (can anybody help?), need to have a proper look later.
see https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/sale
They're still out there but much depends what options your local stn on the list has. My local stn is not even on the list so I did a dummy run from PRE. Many had gone but if you choose one of the less popular destinations i would guess you can still get them. My comment is that I don't seem to be able to buy for a group; the buy option was only for one adult...

BC

This is great. I've just booked my entire scout troop on to do Leeds to York for a weekend for a fiver. It cost me more for the extra adult I needed when the flash tickets were sold out.

Happy days a walk round the walls and then the national rail museum beckons !

JBuchananGB

Just snapped up day trip to Manchester for myself and my wife for 40p. Tickets to be posted as no TVMs in Merseyrail land.

woody505

Day trips booked for Leeds - Blackpool and Leeds - Chester 40p total it'll cost them more than that too print the ticket and post it. Must be really desperate on some routes too get people using them.

Karl

On Moderation
I wonder if Northern are using this offer to entice passengers back to the railway by introducing them to their new trains?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wonder if Northern are using this offer to entice passengers back to the railway by introducing them to their new trains?
Quite possibly.

Though to be honest, there's some who wouldn't travel with Northern again even if you paid them!

Karl

On Moderation
I'm assuming I can buy a 10p ticket for use on the 30/09/19?

Hopefully by the 30th of September Northern's £10 newspaper offer will be on again. Their 10p offer is a generous and gratefully received, but I love the freedom of the Northern Network for a tenner. It's the only time I get out for a day out on a train when their offer is on. Fingers crossed.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Well. I've made history! Getting to and from a train station for the cheapest ticket price - 20p.

10:18 from Leeds to Lancaster arriving 12:10 (10p).
14:47 from Leeds to Lancaster arriving 16:39 (10p).

Both for the 30/09/19. I think this is the one occasion where I'm happy for literally any of Northerns DMU's to turn up on both - as long as they run and the trains themselves perform well I don't care :)!

johntea

Established Member
In terms of how much it'll cost Northern...it's actually probably a very cheap marketing campaign for them!

jtuk

I've booked Manchester to Sheffield return for 20p, I'd love to see what new train they run on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.