• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Franchise - Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

I was wondering if anyone could comment and/or advise on any information that you could provide regarding the plans for rolling stock to be rolled out across the Northern network. It is to my understanding that the main hubs of Yorkshire and Lancashire are acquiring these new DMU's and EMU's built by CAF. The majority of the franchise will benefit from these new trains apart from the North East of England, so where does this leave the staff and the members of the public in the North of England. I have heard, refurbished 158,156, and 170's will be introduced to replace the 142's. I feel there is mixed information out there and I believe there is a miss conception with the public in the North East of England that they will be seeing new trains. But they will not, well as far as I am aware. While the North of England moves from the mid 1980's to late 1980's early 1900's and at best early 2000, the rest of the Northern network keeps up with modern technology whilst North East England gets left behind.

Leeds - Manchester 2019 and beyond
Newcastle - Carlisle 1985 - 2000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Leeds-Harrogate-Leeds and Leeds-Victoria-Southport (2 services joined up) will get the 170s.

New CAF trains are to go on most Northern Connect routes - they will be mainly run on routes which transferred from TPE, new routes or routes where 158s are used currently.

New EMUs will replace the 323s and indirectly replace the 321s and 322s (4 car 333s will replace 321s and 322s with new EMUs in formations up to 6 cars replacing 333s) and the new EMUs will also run the Blackpool to Manchester Airport route.

Like I said in another thread would the North East rather have the Edinburgh extension of the Liverpool-Newcastle service and the Newcastle extension of the Manchester Airport to York service operated by brand new Intercity trains (as is the plan), or would the North East rather have a Northern Connect York-Newcastle service and a Northern Connect Newcastle-Edinburgh service operated by brand new Regional trains?

Northern's press department have been vague with information and stories in local media about new trains have implied lines such as Mid-Cheshire, Buxton and Clitheroe will be getting new trains when in fact they'll get refreshed Sprinters. (Only the 158s destined for the North East are getting a full refurbishment including brand new seating.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Another North East moan as 'JCollins' has already commented the North East will get new TPE trains plus there will be the new VTEC service to Middlesbrough, and most of Northern land will get refurbished 15x units on non connect diesel services like the North East. So the only real difference is higher upgraded 158 vice new CAF units on Connect service and we don't actually know what the new CAF units will be like the 158 units may be just as good with a decent level of refurbishment.

Plus of course Pacers are going so I don't see that the North East has got anything to moan about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.