• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern "free" delay compensation tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

M28361M

Apologies if this is a frequently asked question, but...

I claimed Delay Repay from Northern for a journey a friend and I made together. We decided to go for the option of a free ticket rather than vouchers or monetary compensation.

Two tickets have duly arrived, but they both have my name written on them. On the T&Cs on the back it says "may only be used by the person named overleaf".

If my friend travels separately from me, is this "named user" condition likely to be enforced - could guards/RPIs ask for ID?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have never been asked for ID.

You could write to Northern and ask if that condition is binding. If they say it is, then they need to exchange (one of) the vouchers.

It's theoretical because, even if they ask for ID, there is no requirement to carry ID anyway.

RAPC

I've used 100+ of the things thanks to Northern issues on my line. Never once asked for ID and half the time they don't even come filled out with a name anyway.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’d be staggered if your friend was asked for ID. The only thing I’ve ever known conductors and gateline staff take an interest in is making sure the date is filled in correctly - one of the gateline staff at Manchester Victoria told me that apparently a lot of the time the required leading zero on days 1 - 9 of the month is omitted, possibly innocently and possible to enable reuse by adding a 1 or 2 at a later point

Where you can effectively use a free ticket more than once (sort of) is when you’re heavily delayed using the free ticket, make a (valid) delay repay claim and get another free ticket

xotGD

Established Member
My wife received 2 tickets, both in her name, for a heavily delayed journey. I phoned up to ask if we could use them to travel together, and in response we were sent two more blank tickets.

While this was a bonus, it suggests that the named person can't take a friend or significant other if they have two tickets.

Djgr

Established Member
It won't be an issue.

It appears sloppy but perhaps this is the modus operandi of this particular TOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.