• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern inadequate unit planning for peak time

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I understand Northern are stretched, but who on earth decides that a whole 2 car 153 (or may have been a 150) is suitable for the 17:58 Leeds to Goole service?! At least 30 passengers left behind, not for the first time I am led to believe! Wonder if any of those left behind were planning to go further than Knottingley...

They can do all the platform extensions they want but that seems a bit pointless unless they send out trains with more capacity to begin with!

When will the days of 'this train has 2 carriages' at peak times (coincidentally costing more for a ticket to travel on due to the Northern peak restrictions in certain areas) end?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

In all honesty you've probably answered your own thread with the Northern are stretched sentence.
I doubt there will ever be a time when Northern (& indeed most other tocs) have sufficient stock to make all peak time trains of sufficient length.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
If you take carriages from one train to increase capacity on another you will only transfer the overcrowding.

Iskra

Established Member
I see this on my line that I use (Leeds-Castleford-Wakefield-Barnsley-Sheffield).

The main problem is Castleford. All the Castleford (and some Woodlesford) commuters swarm on to these trains at the expense of longer distance passengers.

It's particularly galling on my line considering the train diverges away from its destination just to serve Castleford, extending journey times and causing crush-loading.

In an ideal world, Castleford would be provided with an adequate shuttle service doing something like: Leeds-Castleford, or Leeds-Castleford-Wakefield Kirkgate. However, the rolling stock doesn't exist.

I do hope Northern are looking into this situation as it is currently a joke, but I'm not holding my breath.

northernchris

Established Member
I understand Northern are stretched, but who on earth decides that a whole 2 car 153 (or may have been a 150) is suitable for the 17:58 Leeds to Goole service?! At least 30 passengers left behind, not for the first time I am led to believe! Wonder if any of those left behind were planning to go further than Knottingley...

The Goole is now booked a 155 since the December timetable change although there isn't much difference in capacity to a 3 car 144 which is what was allocated prior to December.

Status
Not open for further replies.