• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern interview pass / fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

Hi lads & lasses;
I was wondering if any of you know how the scoring system, or passing system works here. I ask because I passed an interview with NR 3 years ago, I was shocked because I felt I really flunked a few questions. On one I was completely stuck but winged an answer I thought poor and short. The feedback I had from the HR woman was that the manager agreed some of my examples were poor but that he liked other aspects such as my work history.

I've just had another interview with them; there was 2 managers this time but no hr person. I was wondering how rigidly these are 'scored? Or how much leeway managers get to pass or fail you, is it purely down to the scoring of your answers or can they go on their impression of you? Does whether the manager likes you count for anything?

Edit to say: I failed the assessments first time, it's a driver role and I'm external

And has their system changed much with the new franchise?

Any info appreciated!

JC

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hi lads & lasses;
I was wondering if any of you know how the scoring system, or passing system works here. I ask because I passed an interview with NR 3 years ago, I was shocked because I felt I really flunked a few questions. On one I was completely stuck but winged an answer I thought poor and short. The feedback I had from the HR woman was that the manager agreed some of my examples were poor but that he liked other aspects such as my work history.

I've just had another interview with them; there was 2 managers this time but no hr person. I was wondering how rigidly these are 'scored? Or how much leeway managers get to pass or fail you, is it purely down to the scoring of your answers or can they go on their impression of you? Does whether the manager likes you count for anything?

Edit to say: I failed the assessments first time, it's a driver role and I'm external

And has their system changed much with the new franchise?

Any info appreciated!

JC

The process is currently exactly the same as the old franchise. Answers to questions are scored from 0-4, for drivers there are nine scored questions giving a total of 36 and the guide for progression is apparently 26, which is mostly scores of 3.

I know that scores of two tend to indicate good examples/ideas but lack depth or details, or good depth with poor examples/ideas. Scores of four are perfect answers and are apparently quite rare.

JCLeeds

Wow thanks that is detailed. So it seems that the managers have little input then...

Nick82

Has anyone got any ideas on the type of questions they ask during a trainee train drivers interview?

RBSN

Has anyone got any ideas on the type of questions they ask during a trainee train drivers interview?

They're all competency based questions - Give an example of when you have undertaken a repetitive task, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.