• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern interview today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christeve

Had my interview today. No idea how it went but I should hear in a week to 10 days. I am very pleased with myself for getting the interview though. They had 1000 applicants for 12 trainee positions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RBSN

Had my interview today. No idea how it went but I should hear in a week to 10 days. I am very pleased with myself for getting the interview though. They had 1000 applicants for 12 trainee positions.

Which station was this for?

bonelorry

Good luck!

Fingers crossed for you, Let us know if you get to the Assessment stage.

Looking forward to starting my training on Monday!

Cheers

Lucky63

Good luck!

Fingers crossed for you, Let us know if you get to the Assessment stage.

Looking forward to starting my training on Monday!

Cheers

Is the first interview just standard interview questions only?

Thanks. L63

Christeve

General and competency questions. Relating your experience to the skills needed to be a driver

JCLeeds

Was this the Sheffield one only advertised 2-3 weeks ago? That is fast!

zambo01

Hey dude,

Congrats on the success so far! Hope you manage to keep it going as you progress through the selection!

Just a quick one, was this post the most recently advertised? (the advert that went up on the 14th or 15th of March?) or did you apply before that?

Well done and good luck again!

Christeve

Hello. It's dudette lol. Yes it was the most recent one. I'm amazed how quickly they interviewed based on all of the comments I've seen on here.

Onedirection

Christeve-
Is much asked about the company ? Do they expect us to rattle off about northern rail ( old company info) or the new company northern? Appreciate any direction

kaine19

I got mine for manchester on Monday. I rang hr they said with the franchise only been so many days old the managers won't mind you talking about northern rail but would recommend mentioning the franchise

Christeve

I talked about changes Arriva are making/going to make. More routes, Sunday services , more staff, investment etc. They wanted to know some routes, stations etc. They want to know you've done research basically
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Make sure you know why you want to be a train driver
I hope I get through but Im freaking about the mechanical aptitude test. Not sure I've got any lol. The others dont really phase me but that one does.

387star

On Moderation
I talked about changes Arriva are making/going to make. More routes, Sunday services , more staff, investment etc. They wanted to know some routes, stations etc. They want to know you've done research basically
Make sure you know why you want to be a train driver
I hope I get through but Im freaking about the mechanical aptitude test. Not sure I've got any lol. The others dont really phase me but that one does.

That test is no longer used !

bonelorry

Mechanical Aptitude? Is that a new one?

Have you been given some practise material by Northern yet?

DunfordBridge

Mechanical Aptitude Test is as old as the hills, figuratively speaking. I believe only freight operators would still use it these days, that is if any of them were still recruiting.

Christeve

Thank God for that. Think I saw it on how to become a train driver site. And loads of careers sites. No wonder I couldn't find much mention of it on here. I'm talking about the pulleys and cogs thing.

fulmar

Im freaking about the mechanical aptitude test. Not sure I've got any lol

I've been a driver for over twenty five years and I don't have any :lol: . The old mechanical aptitude test was pretty basic stuff.

bonelorry

I've been a driver for over twenty five years and I don't have any :lol: . The old mechanical aptitude test was pretty basic stuff.

:lol: Generally nowadays you just ring TTL Control and they decide what to do with the Faulty Unit.

Its just the Cables and Dials test nowadays on your Driver Assessments that is vaguely Mechanical but other than that.

Chappers2315

This is my first post....hi everyone.

Christeve, I ' might have a friend' who has an interview coming up and ' he' might have been wondering what sort of things you were expected to know about stations and routes etc......
I'm new to this industry and my knowledge is limited, although I have done plenty of research, I can't help but be nervous.....not very good at interviews. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D

Christeve

They just asked me what routes went from Sheffield. I named a few, by no means all of them. I just threw some random stations in for good measure. Mainly ones I've worked at as possession support. Remember, I don't know how I did yet. I may have crashed and burned so my advice could be completely useless.

RBSN

They just asked me what routes went from Sheffield. I named a few, by no means all of them. I just threw some random stations in for good measure. Mainly ones I've worked at as possession support. Remember, I don't know how I did yet. I may have crashed and burned so my advice could be completely useless.

When I had my interview last year for the Heaton Depot Driver role, I was asked to name 3 stations that Northern operate from, too.

Chappers2315

Ahh great stuff. Thanks for that. Better check that lot out too then. As I say, I'm totally new to the rail industry so I'll just have to see how it goes I guess.

RBSN

Ahh great stuff. Thanks for that. Better check that lot out too then. As I say, I'm totally new to the rail industry so I'll just have to see how it goes I guess.

I'm new to this industry, too. I've been searching for opportunities for two years.

What I can gather from all of the above is that we have a) candidates going through DMI interviews prior to assessments b) candidates who have been rejected and emailed this, and c) candidates still waiting to hear anything, possibly a reserve if you like. Must say, compared to industry standards and it has only been two weeks since the closing date, if they did have 1000 applicants then this is remarkably quick work from Northern. Clearly trying to impress their new owners!

bonelorry

Yes initial interview first, If successful then Assessments approx 6 hours including a second 1 Hour long interview. If successful a Medical. If successful hopefully a course start date/job offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.