• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Ireland Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Hi guys

Looking for some information, just picked up a couple of cheap flights out to Belfast for the weekend, fly out saturday morning, return monday night, 2 nights booked in Belfast. I`ve never actually been to Northern Ireland before so looking for infomation on locos, stock, depots lines and rover tickets, plus a decent map, any advice or information welcome, many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

As for tickets, there's the Sunday Tracker
http://www.translink.co.uk/Find-The-Right-Ticket/tickets/sunday-day-tracker/
There also seems to be an offer on iLink tickets
http://www.translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/ilink-promotion/

NI is primarily a DMU railway with the 3000 & 4000 classes of DMU providing all services bar the Dublin line where 201 class GMs operate in push pull mode. Beyond that my knowledge of NI Railways is limited as that;'s an area that I still have to conquer, despite having been to NI many times on business over the years.

shredder1

Established Member
As for tickets, there's the Sunday Tracker
http://www.translink.co.uk/Find-The-Right-Ticket/tickets/sunday-day-tracker/
There also seems to be an offer on iLink tickets
http://www.translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/ilink-promotion/

NI is primarily a DMU railway with the 3000 & 4000 classes of DMU providing all services bar the Dublin line where 201 class GMs operate in push pull mode. Beyond that my knowledge of NI Railways is limited as that;'s an area that I still have to conquer, despite having been to NI many times on business over the years.

Thank you very much Keith, I`ll have a run down to Dublin and back to get the line in, I was over there when the 201`s were being delivered, I think it was the Enterprised that ran the Belfast Dublins back then

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I hope you enjoy your trip over here. It'll probably be raining but that's just normal :smile:

If you are planning to go around in NI then get the Zone 4 iLink ticket. It's £16 per day and it's an unlimited rover ticket. It covers all train and bus travel in NI. Unlike most of the rest of the UK, the transport company Translink provide the trains, buses and coaches. It makes ticketing simple.
iLink doesn't cover the Belfast - Dublin services on either the Enterprise train or the various coaches. However, I have heard that sometimes it has been possible to get the Guards to accept iLink tickets on the Enterprise services for trips that are entirely within NI (Belfast <--> Portadown or Newry)

If you want to see depots, then there are two in Belfast, near Yorkgate and near Adelaide. They're not huge and fairly difficult to see clearly. You can at least see the Yorkgate one from the train. The one at Adelaide has big fence but you can see a bit from the bridge at that station.

Stock is, as metioned, all CAF DMUs. They're quite nice.

If you travel out Belfast to Bangor, sit facing travel directoin on the left hand side as the view is far better.
If you travel out Belfast to Larne or to Derry/Londonderry, sit on the right hand side.
If you travel down towards Portadown / Newry or Dublin it doesn't really matter.

if you get the iLink ticket you can get the train over to Derry/Londonderry and then get the Goldline coach back. You can also get any bus - this may well be helpful to get around espcially in Belfast. iLink also covers the airport buses - I know there's a stand at Belfast City airport where you can buy tcikets but I don't know about at the International Airport.

If you are after maps, there are usually some available at Belfast Great Victoria Street train and coach station.

Enjoy your trip!
Mr Toad

shredder1

Established Member
Hi there,
I hope you enjoy your trip over here. It'll probably be raining but that's just normal :smile:

If you are planning to go around in NI then get the Zone 4 iLink ticket. It's £16 per day and it's an unlimited rover ticket. It covers all train and bus travel in NI. Unlike most of the rest of the UK, the transport company Translink provide the trains, buses and coaches. It makes ticketing simple.
iLink doesn't cover the Belfast - Dublin services on either the Enterprise train or the various coaches. However, I have heard that sometimes it has been possible to get the Guards to accept iLink tickets on the Enterprise services for trips that are entirely within NI (Belfast <--> Portadown or Newry)

If you want to see depots, then there are two in Belfast, near Yorkgate and near Adelaide. They're not huge and fairly difficult to see clearly. You can at least see the Yorkgate one from the train. The one at Adelaide has big fence but you can see a bit from the bridge at that station.

Stock is, as metioned, all CAF DMUs. They're quite nice.

If you travel out Belfast to Bangor, sit facing travel directoin on the left hand side as the view is far better.
If you travel out Belfast to Larne or to Derry/Londonderry, sit on the right hand side.
If you travel down towards Portadown / Newry or Dublin it doesn't really matter.

if you get the iLink ticket you can get the train over to Derry/Londonderry and then get the Goldline coach back. You can also get any bus - this may well be helpful to get around espcially in Belfast. iLink also covers the airport buses - I know there's a stand at Belfast City airport where you can buy tcikets but I don't know about at the International Airport.

If you are after maps, there are usually some available at Belfast Great Victoria Street train and coach station.

Enjoy your trip!day is marvelous
Mr Toad

Wow thats everything I need to know, thats fantastic thank you very much Mr Toad, amazing information, (£16 a day is marvelous), thank you so much

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You can buy ilink at Aldergrove Airport (Belfast International) at the information and tourist desk just before you exit the airport. The ilink cards aren't as smart as other cards though and if you want one for more or less zones you have to get another card for those zones (I have a 3 zone card if I wanted it for 4 of for 2 I'd have to get a separate 2 or 4 zone card). Am sure that the Ulster transport Museum at Cultra is on your agenda - if not it is worth a visit.

https://www.nmni.com/our-museums/ulster-folk-and-transport-museum/Home.aspx

Info / Prices for ilink

www.translink.co.uk/Fares/Translink-Products/ILink/

shredder1

Established Member
Thats great thanks very much, yes I`ll check out the museum, it looks good, thank you, I was going to ask about ilink cards from the International airport, I fly into that one on saturday morning arrive 08.00, (Flybe), and fly out of the City airport back to Manchester (Ryanair), on Monday late afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.